Rack for transport...

richbat

Elite Member
I'm looking for ideas on how to make some sort of rack to mount in my Jeep Cherokee to hold my detectors while in transit instead of just placing them in the back and sliding around and possibly getting damaged.Any thoughts on this?

Cover them up!

My first thought is, that whatever you come up with, they should be covered. And, hopefully with something like one of those sliding "tonneau" covers. I think that's what they're called.

I could see a piece of Plywood, say, 24 or 30 inches wide, with the appropriate length, and with uprights carved out to cradle the MD's. You could line the cradles with foam or felt and use Velcro straps to secure them. Of course this would then be under some kind of cover.

You can count on one thing. If they are visible, some worthless POS will break in and steal them.

Good luck,

EKW

I've done some thinking on this topic as well. Bought a Ford Ranger back in September, and need to figure something out as well. Been more inclined toward a box in the bed, rather than something inside the cab (not a lot of room). Kind of lazy, rather leave it assembled, than have to break it down to transport.

Another idea

I just remembered something I built for a 99 TAHOE that I had. Here's a picture of it and I basically built it out of scrap materials I had in my shop. I made is so that it would slide in and butt right up against the back of the rear seats. It had a Deck / Top that overhung the wheel wells and I covered it with some rubber backed carpet materials. I bought 2 plastic Tub / Trays with wheels and slid one in on each side. The center section provided support and also allowed for storage of long items. I hope this picture shows the concept well enough.

The cool thing was, that when the back doors were closed, all you could see was the upper deck. You could modify the design to accomodate metal detectors on one side, and coils, tools, etc on the other. A nice bed of foam in the tray would be nice for the "babies".

EKW

Attachments

• Watt Box.jpg
    Watt Box.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 753
Here is something I did. I've added VELCRO straps to hold the detectors in place since the photo. Windows on my rig are so dark so you can't see the detectors inside. Works great for me.

Attachments

• Troop1.jpg
    Troop1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 802
What do you think about the old gun racks they mount in the rear window?Figured if i could locate one and drill some holes in it and figure a way to mount it in the cargo area that might work.

rack convert

I have a Jeep Wrangler and am an avid photographer and had the same issues with my tripod. So I decided I wanted to utilize the roll bar, I simply used a couple of carabiners and some velcro handles. The result was a quick release system that allows me to save floor and seat space for other items. I plan on doing the same thing for my detector but adding a stability device to prevent it from swinging around in off road situations. In a Cherokee you might be able to utilize an expandable clothes rack in the same manner as I use the roll bar.

Back
Top Bottom