Minelab Detector Questions

davemd

I am trying to learn a little about the Minelab detectors. I am pretty familar with the White's lineup so just kind of want to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of the Minelabs. So, here a few questions I have in my head.

1. Where would you say the Minelab detectors really excel in the field? High ground mineralization sites, places with lots of small iron (nails, etc). In other words, what conditions do Minelabs really do the best in over other detectors?

2. What are the features and performance advantages between the top line SE Pro or E-Trac and say the X-Terra 70 for example? Is there a huge difference in performance or features?

3. What do you consider the biggest weakness in the Minelab detectors? What do you wish they did better?

Thanks,
Dave

1. Where would you say the Minelab detectors really excel in the field? High ground mineralization sites, places with lots of small iron (nails, etc). In other words, what conditions do Minelabs really do the best in over other detectors?

The FBS Minelabs use a slow swing speed which does very well in trashy areas. Kansas doesn't have bad minerals so I can't really give a good opinion on that aspect.

2. What are the features and performance advantages between the top line SE Pro or E-Trac and say the X-Terra 70 for example? Is there a huge difference in performance or features?

I've owned the SE and X-Tara 70 and in my opinion the SE had much better depth performance, while the X70 was able to handle a quicker sweep speed better.

3. What do you consider the biggest weakness in the Minelab detectors? What do you wish they did better?

The FBS Minelabs use a slow swing speed. A bit on the heavy side. Doesn't do well on small gold.

I am trying to learn a little about the Minelab detectors. I am pretty familar with the White's lineup so just kind of want to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of the Minelabs. So, here a few questions I have in my head.

Thanks,
Dave

Question 1= I would think the SE or e-trac is better in mineralization , f75 will do better with iron or nails. Question 2= I had a se and may get a e-trac, the ID in trash will just stop, the tones work. Hope the e-trac ID is better? Question 3= The ID and the nulling and speed up the recovery.

Hi Dave, I hope your doing well and also Hello JohnS.. Dave the Etrac Will do well in mineralized conditions. Of course the Xterra 70 has a faster recovery rate than the Etrac but the Etrac has the ability to find those silver dimes you may have missed at depth. The Etrac will null on iron, the tones are really good on the Etrac and SE. The display is sometimes slow to recover, the tones will leave the readout behind. I can deal with it though. I still think Minelab's are some of the best detectors around. Ok Dave be careful out there.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Back
Top Bottom