Dog attack what do you do?

I had to give a pit a nice spray of a spicy treat once when he wanted to tear my leg off. Then I had to deal with the owner who came at me for spraying his precious baby.

So now, I'll spray and leave.

When you spray them does it have an immediate effect or take a little while for the dog to react. Is it mostly effecting the eyes or the nose area?

Ray

While I live in a country that eats dogs... the mindset is a dog is just an animal. I've never been attacked nor have I been in a situation that I haven't been able to stop an attack... If either were to occur that dang dog would be hobbling around on a broken leg. Might sound cruel but that dog will switch off the offensive pretty darn quick.
Head punches and kicks will do nothing.. a broken leg would be effective I'm sure

I am going to start bringing a 10 pack of Hot Dogs with me and start chucking them at the dogs

:laughing: that will probably attract more dogs, and other critters and vermin :laughing: ive never been attacked by dogs but have come within a few feet of some coy dogs/coyotes. Only a single one on a couple occasions, but enough to get the hair on the back of your neck to stand up!

When you spray them does it have an immediate effect or take a little while for the dog to react. Is it mostly effecting the eyes or the nose area?

Ray

Both......He will no longer be thinking about you....:D

I was detecting a local park a few years back and I was mauled by a pack of puppies. There must have been 8 of them. I was nearly licked to death before I could get back to my truck. I still have nightmares about that day. :woot:

I had a dog charge me in a park. I looked like Zorro out there with my metal detector fending off the dog. I just held it right out in front of me pointed at dog and he stopped short. He moved one, way, I moved the detector, back and forth until the owner whistled and it ran back. Very interesting dilemma.

My father's business partner shot a neighbor's German Shepard that had entered his yard and was threatening to attack his young son. Not only did this guy spend the night in jail, he had to hire an attorney, for defending his own property.

My father's business partner shot a neighbor's German Shepard that had entered his yard and was threatening to attack his young son. Not only did this guy spend the night in jail, he had to hire an attorney, for defending his own property.

Sounds like a bit more missing.....:?:

Nothing missing, although this was back in the late 70's. If you shoot someone's dog, you are shooting someone's family member. Be prepared for repercussion.

Last year in a park I had a dog come at me barking and acting aggressively. I was getting ready to swing my Sampson when I noticed his body language. It told me he was just aggressively telling me that I was not a regular part of the park that he was used to. I talked calmly to him with my arm outstretched palm up. By the time his owners ran up to us he had calmed down but was still keeping an eye on me. After talking with the couple, while they profusely apologized, he even nudged my hand to be petted.

Years ago a guy that owned a company that trained attack and guard dogs explained dog body language to me. If the head, ears and tail are up while the dog is acting aggressively, the dog is not in attack mode, just like the dog I experienced. Be weary if the head, ears and tail are low. These indicate the dog is serious and very likely will try to attack.

Last year in a park I had a dog come at me barking and acting aggressively. I was getting ready to swing my Sampson when I noticed his body language. It told me he was just aggressively telling me that I was not a regular part of the park that he was used to. I talked calmly to him with my arm outstretched palm up. By the time his owners ran up to us he had calmed down but was still keeping an eye on me. After talking with the couple, while they profusely apologized, he even nudged my hand to be petted.

Years ago a guy that owned a company that trained attack and guard dogs explained dog body language to me. If the head, ears and tail are up while the dog is acting aggressively, the dog is not in attack mode, just like the dog I experienced. Be weary if the head, ears and tail are low. These indicate the dog is serious and very likely will try to attack.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson..."Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”. :D

being afraid and taking a fearful posture is the absolute worse thing you can do with an aggressive dog. if it's running at you, you're fine, it's just displaying it's status, running can actually trigger an attack that he wasn't planning on making. If the dog is truly out to get you, there isn't much you can do to deter it. an injured dog is far more dangerous than an uninjured one. Trying to hit one will only get you hurt. it's natural for a dog to be suspicious of you, they will check you out, watching for weakness or anything that will deem you a threat. acknowledge the dog, speak calmly and follow his cues. he will make it apparent if he is truly wary of you, or willing to be friendly, if you are. barking and growling is him trying to get your attention. calmly acknowledge it, and move on. and never turn your back on a strange dog...

My buddy had a pittbull that he adopted from someone who left it locked up all day. It spent the first 5 days just sitting in his cage growling at me every time I visited. Finally I told my buddy to let him out so we can settle this. This dog blew through the cage door as soon as the latch was released and came directly at me. I caught him with both hands under the lower jaw and around the neck so he couldn't bite me, and flipped him on his back and pinned him until he stopped struggling and growling. We were best friends ever since, even nearly taught him to say my name at one point... that brilliant dog tried so hard to say it for me, I miss that meathead.

I really liked that story!

Back in the 70's and 80's, in rural farming/ranching communities, if you saw a dog running wild and unattended where it didnt belong, you were supposed to shoot it! It was right in the game rules and everything! Lots of abandoned dogs back then come to think about it...roaming wild and forming packs...

Even a good dog can get bored and go harass wildlife or worse yet, the neighbors ranch...I had this one big old Lab mix named Louie....He lived outside under the front porch...When he got bored, He would go and chase deer or rabbits and otherwise entertain himself...then he discovered the New Neighbors Hobby farm and started bringing me home all sorts of chickens and even a turkey once! So yeah, he was some sort of retriever!

Well, the Hobby Farm guy moved out here in the puckerbrush from Chicago, and decided he and his Family were gonna try a 'Little House on the Prairie' kinda lifestyle...They soon learned It wasnt as easy or as fun as it looked on TV...His organic garden attempt was a hot mess, every wild critter from coons to chipmunks had a feast! ...Anyway, one Spring, He planted a whole stretch of fruit tree saplings, The guy did a hell of a job, and then the deer showed up and commenced to nibble...

So one evening about sundown he comes on over to the house, he had a big long chain with him, he says, the deer and wildlife are destroying his fruit trees and garden, and that he has tried every discouragement tactic Mother Earth News had to offer...hair clippings, dried blood, milorganite, 6' fence, scarecrow, Christmas tree lights even! But nothing was repelling the animals, and he was desperate!....

So he figured he would ask if he could borrow Louie, chain him up in his 'orchard' for the night...Me and my little daughter stood and listened to his request, She was not too keen on the idea of 'Her' dog getting staked out and chained up, and stood there silent and frowning... But I figured I owed him one for all the nice chickens and the succulent turkey, and as a good neighbor, I obliged....So off he went with Louie and that 30' chain!

Well...about 2am, I heard that chain rattle up and across the boards of the porch...I thought, well, Louie pulled the stake, so theres another lesson learned for this guy...and went back to sleep...

Then about Sunrise into the yard comes this guy all screaming and going nuts! Seems Louie didnt think much about spending the night out of doors, so he commenced to running in a 30' diameter circle, ripping up any kind of living plant life in the process until he pulled the stake! He was under the porch, still with the chain, but also with every damn fruit tree and tomato plant tangled up in it! It looked like he robbed a fruit stand or a nursery!

So this guy was hollering! Hopping mad! Blaming Louie for the whole disaster, I didnt know what to say or how to respond! My little daughter, waited for the chance, pulled her thumb out of her mouth and said..."Well, it was all YOUR idea! :laughing::laughing:

Tragically, I had to put down Louie myself about a year later...there was no way I could cover for him or eat that entire Shetland Pony he brought home quick enough...He just went too far on that one, got greedy...Left a hell of a drag mark right to the porch! Guilty murder scene Evidence all over the place like OJ Simpson!

.. Louie was one hell of a Retriever! He shoulda stuck to chickens though and I coulda easily defended him by blaming the Coyotes like normal!....I got $50 for the saddle though..Didnt say dick about that..."Saddle? What Saddle?...I figured Louie woulda thought that cool, plus now I gotta find myself another good dog, and that aint easy, so we are even....:laughing:.

Last edited:
So from what I gathered from reading this thread is: yell loudly at the dog, don't yell but speak softly rather. Hit the dog with something, and never hit a dog with anything. Lol. I think I'll rely on my 9mm critical defense rounds but I pray it never comes to that and obviously that would be the last option.

It doesn't matter how you try to "act", they can read you like a book, if you are afraid of dogs, you could very well become a victim..

I've held quite a few different jobs that involve going into yards.. Including a utilities job that involved getting to every telephone pole in every yard. I shocked a lot of people (they didn't answer their door) and I had legal easement rights to access our utilities poles.. So, I went in there, with the mindset, if you don't bite me, you not only get to live to see tomorrow, I'll even be your friend lol.. Lets go check it out, come on!!! Then they (people) would come out of the house, " my dog bites"!!! I would smile and say, you have a great dog, he doesn't bite me! Lol they didn't know what to think lol...

I'm not afraid of dogs, I've never been bitten at work.. But... Twice as a kid (when I was afraid of them)...

However..

I have avoided a few dogs, that just weren't right, and one German Shepherd that wasn't authorized to be friends no matter what... Lol..

On another note, the more people I come to know, the more I like dogs...

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom