permission vanished

sweetinsanity

I've been hunting a farm close to the Gettysburg battlefield for several years now. its been picked over pretty good. a so called friend of ours just bought the farm. he told us we were more than welcome to go where ever we wanted on the farm.... last guy only let you detect the front fields. we were all geared up and ready to go when he call and said, what ever we find we can sell and split the money. I explained I always keep what I find, but would be willing to share with him. as we arrived he said what ever we find he wants to stay with the farm. I asked exactly what he meant by that? he said what ever we found he wanted to keep and hang on his wall. I said , so you want us to hunt and dig all day and come back and hand everything over? he said yes! he said its all about the find and dig isn't it? we put all of our gear back in the jeep and left. I don't mine sharing, but this is crazy! this is a guy who cuts 30 ash trees a year off my property a year for fire wood at no charge. just waiting for the call, I think I want my wood to stay with my property!

Fire wood goes for about $65.00 a cord here. Thats a nice chunk of change you got coming.
GL&HH.

He did say one thing, and then changed the rules.

If you guys really are good friends, then you have to have an open line of commuicatio. When you are over the initial sting and have calmed down some, go to your friend, and explain to him that part of the fun of detecting, for you, is getting to keep some of the targets you find.

Then, work something out with him on what you keep and what he keeps... if he really does want relics to display and hang on the wall, then make a deal where you get any coins found and he gets the relics.

Make a deal where if multiples of an item like bullets or buttons are found, then those would be split between you both at the end of the hunt. Basically, lay out a deal that you can both live with.

Honesty and communication are important. I know I really respect honesty from my friends, even when it stings a bit, I can respect their honesty and coming to me like an adult and working things out respectfully. We're not always going to agree on things, but many times issues are a mere miscommunication, but we let our feelings get in the way.

Work through it, and then explain that you'd like to renegotiate the terms of the hunt, you could hand him a detector and see if he'd be down for finders keepers that way?

You guys can find some common ground, mutual respect will shine through...

I don't think its him as much as his dad. his dad helped him buy the farm.... his dad is a big antique collector. I don't mind sharing and splitting the finds. but he made it pretty clear that the finds were staying with the farm. we also detect the farm across the creek. I sure hope he can see me waving to him when he's out. he's always been set in his ways, I really don't believe he's going to change his mind. it is what it is. I only ever found a few bullets and some old traps in the creek that a trapper left behind. the farm has been hit pretty hard over the years. he acted like I was taking truck loads of guns and cannons out of there. lol, he still has wood already cut and stacked ready to haul out of the woods.

Fire wood goes for about $65.00 a cord here. Thats a nice chunk of change you got coming.

GL&HH.

$65.00/cord!!! Man we pay $200 up here!!

Yeah, I would hand him a second detector and say that he can keep what he digs... Sheesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always kept him loaded with wood. he heats year round.... that's how they get their hot water. hope he has a back up supply. around here a cord goes for $150-$175. the ash bore beetle killed all of my ash trees so I was letting him have them. around here the lumber yards are flooded with ash for this reason. so everyone is selling it as fire wood. I have natural gas, but I do have a large fire ring outside!

Your friend must think the friendship is a "one way street" and it goes his way. Sorry to hear that greed has slipped in and seems to be ruling his decision. Sorry you had to find out the way you did. You are better off knowing where you stand. There will always be other places to hunt. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:yes:

I think I'd just tell him it's the last winter of free wood. It's a getting a little late, to put anybody on the spot, for something survival related. Who knows, maybe he'll have a whole lot of time this winter, to re-think the hunting situation. I don't think it would bother me much. to give up the more common stuff, and something that isn't in real good shape, but I dug up something in fine condition, or really odd or unusual, I'd want to keep it. Buttons and bullets just don't seem all that exciting to me. I get, that there different types, and have different meanings, and value.

Most people should already have all the wood they expect to need for the winter. Would think he's counting on that wood. Losing a hunting spot kind of sucks, maybe a friendship, but taking away something he really needs in the winter, is much worse.

Back
Top Bottom