Copper Coins and Musket Balls any ideas??

blacksambellamy

these copper coins are a little bigger han a quarter....no markings at all, totally worn off. Any ideas what they might be?

Got some cool musket balls but I don't know if its possible to date these.

Attachments

• IMG_5685.jpg
    IMG_5685.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5686.jpg
    IMG_5686.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Here are some pictures with modern coins

Attachments

• IMG_5690.jpg
    IMG_5690.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5689.jpg
    IMG_5689.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5687.jpg
    IMG_5687.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 105
Do get something in there for scale, always! Initially I'd have to agree, large cents. Found often enough along east coast. It is sort of the curse of large cents, they're too frequently worn smooth.
On your musket balls, there's no way to date them. Our really old ones are pure white, with a thick crust of patina. You can measure them and get a caliber though.
I'll say this however. If you found that many LC's and that many musket balls at that location, I'd be all over that site. Congrats on the finds.
Make sure to try oblique lighting on the LC's, some detail may show up.

And if you do see some detail, take a pic showing it and post it in identifying your finds. Some of these guys are insanely good at identifying coins with just a wisper of detail. They're amazing.

Nice Digs, It looks like LCs and maybe one KG to me based on size and thickness and the other finds you have for age. They are fun to digg anyway.

All of these were found underwater. That's probably why musketballs are not white and the coins worn smooth.

CTTodd is right, always fun to see those big rounds pop out of the ground, or sand in your case. There will be other coinage there, has to be. Maybe even musket parts (bronze etc). Whats the history of the site? That's a lot of balls.

Back
Top Bottom