Spectrum XLT battery leads (terminals)

cadsys1022

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a problem. I just aquired a White's Spectrum XLT (approx. 5yrs old) that dosent work (a significant upgrade from my 10yr old classic).

After taking it apart, I noticed that one of the two battery leads was broken off. Is there a place I can order this part or is it safe to make from just standard sprint steel? Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks !

I would let white's know. If you make them of regular steel they may just corrode quickly. I've been having some connection problems between my battery pack and the leads on my XLT but so far taking it apart, cleaning them and checking for continuity has fixed it. Hope it doesn't go further than that...

In my opinion its a design flaw with the spectrum xlt & similar detectors. The thin terminals inside the detector eventually bend back so far that they dont make good contact with the battery box's terminals. ANd you eventually have to stick a hook down in there to bend them back forward.... and THAT is when the chance of them breaking happens. I'm so worried about breaking one... that I take the whole thing apart so that I can carefully bend them forward again.

I am seriously considering just clipping them off, soldering some wires to them (and to the battery box terminals) & connecting them both together with a unpluggable connector in between.

That would definitely solve the problem I intermittenly have when I accidentally set my detector down on the ground too hard or bang the coil on something (temporarily interrupting the connection between the prongs & the battery box).

Mi$$ouri Jim, it is deffinetly a design flaw. I always have to take mine apart and bend them a little bit forward. I also make sure to never drop the battery pack hard into the machine because that can also bend down the terminals. I added a small piece of foam beneath each of the terminals and it helps alot in keeping the terminals forward and not bent back.

they are not made steel but brass and then plated. I agree a connector between the battery backs would work best or a the foam behind the connector. Tim

Mi$$ouri Jim, it is deffinetly a design flaw. I always have to take mine apart and bend them a little bit forward. I also make sure to never drop the battery pack hard into the machine because that can also bend down the terminals. I added a small piece of foam beneath each of the terminals and it helps alot in keeping the terminals forward and not bent back.

That isnt a bad idea! I wonder if I took some dense foam rubber, cut it down to where it is just a hair bigger than the space behind the leads... it would work. Thanks!

That isnt a bad idea! I wonder if I took some dense foam rubber, cut it down to where it is just a hair bigger than the space behind the leads... it would work. Thanks!

That's pretty much what I did. It will take a little bit or work to get the size perfect. If you have extra foam, cut a bunch of sizes on a bandsaw or similar and find which one works best.

Back
Top Bottom