Arm Saver

rcasi44

Elite Member
My forearm and elbow has been bothering me. I built this strap that carries all the weight of the detector. My arm doesn't bother me when detecting now.

In the full view you can see that the belt clips on my belt on my left side and goes over my right shoulder. The bottom insert shows the strap clipped to my belt. The top insert shows the strap clipped to the detector.

The middle insert shows a D clip I attached to the detector. I didn't want any wear on the paint so I wrapped a strip of nylon around the detector and then attached the ring with pull ties.

The second picture shows the old strap I used. This one came from a small back pack. It's Length is adjustable.  In the insert the clip on the left goes on my belt. I can attach it without removing my belt. The clip on the right clips to the detector and was modified so I can unhook it easier.

After I pin point my target, I unhook the detector and lay it down as usual. You can't see it but the strap goes under the phone cord on my shoulder. My arm thanks me. Rob

Picture of modified strap in later post ( 9th I think)

Attachments

• full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,336
Dude, that is an awesome peice of ingenuity! You should patent & sell it (I know, you'd just have 635,645,867 patent jumpers) :(

On a related (but less serious) note, your invention would come in real handy in the single frame cartoon that I haven't had time yet to draw. It'll look kinda like a one-man-band, only he'll have a MD in each hand, a couple more sweeping behind him as he walks & a 12" radar dish strapped on top of his head. :)

Wow, that is great!!!!!

It looks like an old strap from a retired suit case or laptop bag. I have to try that.

Great job!!!

It's already been done. You can buy one for $25.00 bucks at Jimmy Sierras site. I just made it for no cost. Rob

I have one that my daughter bought me for X-Mas. And it really does work great for extended hunting with a heavy coil. Nice job on the one you made BTW.

Yo Rob, nice  job with the support belt. I have a lot less arm and shoulder problems since I switched  to a DFX.  The Bounty Hunter  I used  for a couple years was a killer to swing after an hour or so.  Now, I am laughing out loud  and my wife too. :lol: She says you and I are dead ringers cept for the facial hair  which I used to have  just like yours.  and I am 62 as well.....H.H.      Gil

Well I'm sorry for your wife, she looks like she could have got a better looking guy. :lol: :lol: Good hunting. Rob

Ok, I think it's perfected now. With the bungee added to the detector end of the strap it adjusts and swings better and notice it is color coordinated to my MXT. Rob

Attachments

• strap2.jpg
    strap2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,270
Regardless of whether it's been done or not, you have to give credit to those who think outside the box, especially when it comes to MD'ing, which is a whole new world of compromise...lol

HH as always,

Bri-

Well,

Here's a couple of variations that I did:

1. I just used a regular 36" bungie cord from the hardware store. Shortened it to length by using tie wraps.

2. And I created another with a shorter bungie and a luggage shoulder strap.

I wrapped either of these using a pad that one would use on a seat belt to make it more "cushie" . I took my MD'er out (which is an ace 250 and it is fairly front heavy) and swung it for a couple of hours. I had both straps adjusted so that I just needed to push down slightly to the desired height.

My arm did not hurt at all. It was very comfortable. When I tried swinging without the strap, it felt like it was 20 pounds.

All and all, it cost me about five bucks to make and it is now a permanent part of my "gear bag"

That's a great idea. I wonder if my wife would miss the strap from her laptop bag??

Back
Top Bottom