Spurious noise with my detector

Yakfishingfool

Hi guys, a relative newb. I have a pro detector wader I bought used. Used two or three times without incident and went to use it today and I have all kinds of spurious chatter. I changed batteries, and still get this constant on off chatter/signal. Turned the sensitivity to 0 and the chatter decreased, but noted that when I move the cable going into my headset that the tone is rough and chaterry. Anyone with experience on this unit care to comment. I live near Pro detector, but want some suggestions first. Scott

Scott,

The only chatter I have ever experienced with my Wader have been near shore radio stations or radio beacons, other than that, no problem.

If you live near them, why not make arrangements to have Gary Storm take a look at it. Gary is a nice guy and should be able to tell what's wrong pretty quickly.

Power lines

Next time look around for overhead power lines. You will not believe how much chatter it will cause to a system even hundred yards away.

noted that when I move the cable going into my headset that the tone is rough and chaterry

It really sounds like a bad wire or connection at the headset. Rob

I have an MXT. The two times I had chattery noise was when my headphone port was loose and starting to spin, which just needed a nut tightening, and when the cable on one of my coils went bad. It was very chattery right before it died.

Also, EMI from power lines or buried power lines will do it too, but that will more of a rhythmic clicking noise.

Good luck. HH.

Back
Top Bottom