The Shermanator

Billy

G'day Guys,

I decided to make myself a little toy to hopefully make my Metal Detecting Hobbie a bit more easier... when out in the Australian Bush and also down the Beach, I have named it "The Shermanator" (Sherman is my surname, my first name is William ... For all you Civil War Buffs, there was a very famous American General in the American Civil War named General William Sherman.

Anyhow, I made this today and here is my Step by Step guide to making it! I made it after writing this water sieve question

I made this because it will be great for many uses, whether being on the Beach, on a old road or out the bush and many more examples.

Obviously it is not allterrain, but the small trolley can be attached to a Four Wheel Motorbike.

This will in my opinion make my detecting experiences so much easier.

The trolley will be used to carry all my equipment to my detecting location. Such equipment as my Metal Detectors, Food, Water, Camera, all my little Detecting Accesories, First Aid Kit.

Easy, now all I need to do is pull the trolley and not cart around all the other stuff on my back!

The trolley is also completely detachable to fit in my car for long journeys.

The Sieve is securely attached to the trolley and it lifts up and down for storing stuff and also to work the sieve easier and can be easily removed for water detecting, yes it floats.

The sieve will be great for finding all coins, jewellery, rings, and larger items such as old bottles when digging around old bottle grave yards.

I am sure you can get similar type Trolleys in the USA, Europe, UK etc, go to your local Garden Centre or Handy Man Centre - Walmart etc.

All up it cost me $200 Aussie Dollars to make, thats approximately $140 USD.

If you cannot see the pics, go here: www.beaututes.com/stuff

Here it is! I like it.

THE SHERMANATOR

1 x 4 Wheel Garden Trolley (Cost $115 AUD)

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1013.JPG

Assorted Plumbling Pipes & Attachments (Cost $60 AUD)

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1009.JPG

Birdcage Mesh (Free - from Disposal Dump) used as a second type of sieve to catch other items missed by the first top layer. (Bottm Layer)

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1010.JPG

Door or Window Security Mesh - Aluminum (Cost - Free from my Door) (Top Layer)

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1011.JPG

One Door Handle - Packet of Zip Ties - Hose Clamps - Wire (Cost $25 AUD)

The Results ... The Shermanator!

Detectable - Floatable Sieve
2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1016.JPG

Sieve attached to Trolley (Note outer side pipes which are used to place sieve on certain angles, the pipes are also removable.)

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1017.JPG

Outer Pipes removed, new smaller ones added for myself to place my coins, rings, small finds in for safety.

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1018.JPG

Note Coins, this pipe can be fitted with a Plumbing Cap to ensure finds are not lost again!

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1019.JPG

Left and Right Find Storage

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1020.JPG

2008%20Oct%2009_metal%20detector_1021.JPG

Excellent set-up. Very well done.... I do believe something similar will be in my future (modified for my detecting style only)... Thanks.. RickO

I guess people in Orlando can't see the pics,they're not showing

for me either.(nate) :lol:

Sounds good though!!!

A different take on Sherman

There are many of us who do not exactly look upon W. T. Sherman through the rose hue of fame. Personally, as one who does not see criminality in the idea of secession and having accrued a fair knowledge of the man I find it hard to view WT in a positive light. Anyone can be a great general with a superior economy and an unlimited supply of men and materiel to feed into the meat grinder as proved by U. S. Grant.
I like your Shermanator.

There are many of us who do not exactly look upon W. T. Sherman through the rose hue of fame. Personally, as one who does not see criminality in the idea of secession and having accrued a fair knowledge of the man I find it hard to view WT in a positive light. Anyone can be a great general with a superior economy and an unlimited supply of men and materiel to feed into the meat grinder as proved by U. S. Grant.
I like your Shermanator.
i agree with you partner,didn't sherman finish his pilageing and raping march down in your area somewhere?

i agree with you partner,didn't sherman finish his pilageing and raping march down in your area somewhere?

Not to hijack this thread about this excellent metal detecting aid, but there are some of us in the ISA who view Sherman as a godsend. Here is a little info on him:

On hearing of South Carolina's secession from the United States, Sherman observed to a close friend, Professor David F. Boyd of Virginia, an enthusiastic secessionist, almost perfectly describing the four years of war to come:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it… Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth—right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Pure genius.

The damage done by Sherman was almost entirely limited to the destruction of much property. Though exact figures are not available, the loss of civilian life appears to have been very small.
The fullest and most dispassionate study of this controversy blames all parties in varying proportions—including the Confederate authorities for the disorder that characterized the evacuation of Columbia, leaving thousands of cotton bales on the streets (some of them burning) and huge quantities of liquor undestroyed ... Sherman did not deliberately burn Columbia; a majority of Union soldiers, including the general himself, worked through the night to put out the fires.

See, he wasn't such a bad guy after all.

Not to hijack this thread about this excellent metal detecting aid, but there are some of us in the ISA who view Sherman as a godsend. Here is a little info on him:

On hearing of South Carolina's secession from the United States, Sherman observed to a close friend, Professor David F. Boyd of Virginia, an enthusiastic secessionist, almost perfectly describing the four years of war to come:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it… Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth—right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Pure genius.

The damage done by Sherman was almost entirely limited to the destruction of much property. Though exact figures are not available, the loss of civilian life appears to have been very small.
The fullest and most dispassionate study of this controversy blames all parties in varying proportions—including the Confederate authorities for the disorder that characterized the evacuation of Columbia, leaving thousands of cotton bales on the streets (some of them burning) and huge quantities of liquor undestroyed ... Sherman did not deliberately burn Columbia; a majority of Union soldiers, including the general himself, worked through the night to put out the fires.

See, he wasn't such a bad guy after all.
Acording to the History Channel,the "general himself" sat on the top floor of a 2 story house that he stole from a southern family to get a better view of Atlanta burning.Hmmm

There are many of us who do not exactly look upon W. T. Sherman through the rose hue of fame. ... Anyone can be a great general with a superior economy and an unlimited supply of men and materiel to feed into the meat grinder as proved by U. S. Grant

Amen brother.

howdy Billy,i didn't mean to get off the subject about the SHERMANATOR and get a discussion going on about general s. ,but anyway that is a cool setup you got there.is the buggy metal or a heavy duty plastic.i would imagine metal.c-ya mate...bobby

howdy Billy,i didn't mean to get off the subject about the SHERMANATOR and get a discussion going on about general s. ,but anyway that is a cool setup you got there.is the buggy metal or a heavy duty plastic.i would imagine metal.c-ya mate...bobby

It is metal headhunter.

Nice rig Billy.... how is it to pull through the woods ?

Not too bad, but does have a tendacy to roll sometimes, but it is pretty useful.

Back
Top Bottom