Electrolysis question?

Todd S

Is it safe to use electrolysis on a "Shield" nickel? I found one a while back, and it is in very poor shape-I can barely discern anything on it except for the "5", and a few bars on the back. I know in general it's best for silver coins, gold, dimes and quarters, but what about nickels? I know it is not good for copper pennies. I haven't used electrolysis yet on anything but am considering it, especially for saltwater coins (Mercs).

Thanks,

Todd

Electrolisis isn't goint to help much with the nickel... Best you'll do is fry it in the process... I made that mistake with a nice Large Cent I found... Good Rule of thumb is if it is in the 1800's... Never use Electrolisis or clean them... I managed to find a shield this fall and I left it just like I found it... You don't come across those coins everyday... Don't Do It... that's my advice...

Unless the coin is a rare Colonial Copper or a key date coin It will not matter much on any coin you dig out of the ground. Most of the coins we find are already worn or damaged in some way just from the minerals in the ground. If it's for your own personal collection and just want the coin to have a little more detail then I would do it.

Thanks for the advice! I'll avoid it on the nickel the. I assume any silver is ok? Especially merc that have been in saltwater?

Todd if you stop by on sunday I'll sacrifice one of my non-cleaned mercs first so you can see the result. I'll also do a toasty nickle. Then you can decide how to procede. WOLF

Back
Top Bottom