12 Inch Deep Quarter With A Tesoro Vaquero

beephead

Elite Member
I've been saying for a longtime that super tuning is not the best way to get the most depth with the Vaquero. My settings for the discriminate mode: a slight hum for the threshold, discrimination set just high enough to either discriminate out a nail or foil depending on the site that I'm detecting. All the sensitivity that I can get without getting any chatter. Ground balance and then turn to the negative about 1/4 turn depending on the soil type. You want the detector to run smooth so you can hear the faint audio signals. A good set of headphones is a must! I use Killer B Wasp Headphones that has a audio limiter switch.

Scannerguy1968 did a great video showing how to get extreme depth with a Tesoro Vaquero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIkzZySyq0

beephead (tabman)

I've been thinking about buying a Tejon for relic hunting, Tesoro is the one major brand I've never owned.

I've been thinking about buying a Tejon for relic hunting, Tesoro is the one major brand I've never owned.

A lot of people are using the Tejon for relic hunting. I use mine for silver and jewelry hunting. Tesoro has just come out with the RSD 11 x 8 wide-scan search coil. It's feather light for its size (14.4 ounces without the stuff cover), it covers a lot of ground with each sweep and goes deep for the good stuff. It's a winning combination. I heard that for a few bucks more you can order, a Vaquero, Cibola and Tejon with the new search coil instead of the the 9 x 8 concentric coil.

beephead

A lot of people are using the Tejon for relic hunting. I use mine for silver and jewelry hunting. Tesoro has just come out with the RSD 11 x 8 wide-scan search coil. It's feather light for its size (14.4 ounces without the stuff cover), it covers a lot of ground with each sweep and goes deep for the good stuff. It's a winning combination. I heard that for a few bucks more you can order, a Vaquero, Cibola and Tejon with the new search coil instead of the the 9 x 8 concentric coil.

beephead

A major benefit I see is they are light, compact, and simple. I was mainly a cellar hole hunter for many years, and plan to get back to my roots again this summer but I really don't like backpacking in detectors like the V3i, and E-trac on my mountain bike, they are pricey, have more delicate electronics, and weigh more. I'd rather have some nice, light, easy to set up, and rugged, yet still capable of finding the deep stuff. I really don't need VID as I dig everything anyway.. I think I might have to grab one this summer and see how it works. I see their simple design and build as less to go wrong in rugged hunting situations, the lifetime warranty is nice as well.

I've been saying for a longtime that super tuning is not the best way to get the most depth with the Vaquero. My settings for the discriminate mode: a slight hum for the threshold, discrimination set just high enough to either discriminate out a nail or foil depending on the site that I'm detecting. All the sensitivity that I can get without getting any chatter. Ground balance and then turn to the negative about 1/4 turn depending on the soil type. You want the detector to run smooth so you can hear the faint audio signals. A good set of headphones is a must! I use Killer B Wasp Headphones that has a audio limiter switch.

Scannerguy1968 did a great video showing how to get extreme depth with a Tesoro Vaquero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIkzZySyq0

beephead (tabman)

Hmmm that's an interesting video. That guy runs with the discrimination all the way up. With the settings I have been running my V with, I cant get over 4 to 5 inches:no:. I was thinking it was because I run the discrimination at tab...... but maybe not.

Honestly.. I've gone back to using my Umaxx and have all but given up on the Vaquero except in certain situations.

I am going to go out this afternoon and try exactly what was done in the video and see what I get.

Thanks for the information. :yes:

A major benefit I see is they are light, compact, and simple. I was mainly a cellar hole hunter for many years, and plan to get back to my roots again this summer but I really don't like backpacking in detectors like the V3i, and E-trac on my mountain bike, they are pricey, have more delicate electronics, and weigh more. I'd rather have some nice, light, easy to set up, and rugged, yet still capable of finding the deep stuff. I really don't need VID as I dig everything anyway.. I think I might have to grab one this summer and see how it works. I see their simple design and build as less to go wrong in rugged hunting situations, the lifetime warranty is nice as well.

Don't let the small size fool you. There's a lot of punch in those small control boxes. The Vaquero weighs in at 2.2 lbs. If I was going to be hiking to a location to detect, I'd be carrying a Vaquero. It breaks down into 3 separate pieces in a jiffy for easy carrying. Here's a two part video showing how much punch it has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa1sTRoJDKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeby9MGZsHI

beephead

nice information
thanks all
smiley-emoticon.gif

that vaq looks impressively deep! if i could get used to the beep and dig it would be a nice deep silver machine for cheap!

that vaq looks impressively deep! if i could get used to the beep and dig it would be a nice deep silver machine for cheap!

The Vaquero has discrimination, one of the best discriminators in the business. If you find yourself at a site that's loaded with pull-tabs turn the discrimination up just barely high enough to knock out pull tabs and then start digging all good sounding audio signals. Silver coins have a very distinct audio sound, especially the deep ones. I have a problem discriminating out pull tabs, because I'm afraid that I'm going to miss a nice gold ring. On my AT Pro, I'd miss the gold rings as well if I ignored and didn't the dig the mid audio tone targets. However if I was just looking for silver coins with my AT Pro, I'd only dig the high audio tone for silver coins. You can basically do the same thing with the Vaquero, but you just won't hear any mid audio tone because you discriminated out the targets that would have fallen into the mid-tone audio range like it does on the At Pro. I own and like both the AT Pro and Vaquero. One is waterproof and the other one is super deep and easy to swing.

beephead

Impressive. I could use extra depth!

Loved the video and a little more depth could really help! I have an Eldorado and not sure what the closest equivalent is in today's Tesoro machines but wondering if the settings would be similar? The Eldorado has virtually the same controls as the Vaquero but the similarity might end there.

I was doing some cleaning and tweaking and decided to follow the manual settings for an Air Test. I had a variety of target objects (gold ring, silver dime, nickel, clad dime & quarter, pull tab, etc.) and noticed very little if any difference in detecting distance regardless of Sensitivity setting in either all-metal or Disc modes. Now I have to say that each Discriminate Level works exactly as the manual suggests. As far as Air Testing goes, the distance does increase (as one would expect) a good bit when using the All Metal mode with Discrimination turned down closer to MIN.

The reason I'm interested in more depth, is my TH buddy and I "discovered" a "secluded" beach area along a creek. While currently popular with college kids, this spot is near and old mill and has probably been frequented by swimmers for decades. Despite the abundance of party-related cans and bottles, the ground itself was surprisingly free of junk/trash we expected to find. Instead, nearly every signal turned out to be a coin (although no silver or wheaties). Still, with so many good hits we maybe covered less than 5% of the area in 2-3 hours. Just before we had to quit, I dug a good signal (maybe 5 inches of sand and rock) and came up with a gold wedding band! I'm confident with a little more depth, we might get some silver coins and maybe some more jewelry items!

What surprised me is that the Vaquero couldn't hit the 7" quarter without being super-tuned.

It hit the quarter easily without it being super tuned when the ground balance was set a little to the negative. The key to getting good depth with the Vaquero is not super tuning, it's getting the ground balance set properly.

beephead

Beep head is dead on. I do not pull a lot of silver as I hunt parks and hammered spots but I did squeeze out my second walker the night before last at about 12 inches . This is a hammered fairgrounds. Made my day. Hope the picture uploads it's a nice 1942 half. If it fails to upload and you therefore don't accept it Happend , Oh well :) , I have two V's in my truck . Love them . Fun as heck. Sorry that I'm always a little negitive when I hunt, :) , Dew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 512
Back
Top Bottom