How important is coil selection

I heard all detector have the same power to search the downward cycle into the ground

The difference is the message on the upward cycle .. notching. disc. filters etc ... defines the outcome

All 4 machines fitted with stock coils,and the cheapest machine Does the best imo..Im thinking tesoro is still one of the best in iron,but of course coil selection plays a big part.lol

https://youtu.be/WyGNlLhA_nQ

A good straight up test Woodbutcher in some tough PA dirt. All I can say is anyone that owns a Tesoro and has become proficient with it will support your obvious finding and opinion. Small coils serve a definite and proven benefit on any detector and agreed, Deus would be well served to offer one.

Anymore said would only rekindle naysayer retort.

Thanks for your effort:D

Last edited:
A good straight up test Woodbutcher in some tough PA dirt. All I can say is anyone that owns a Tesoro and has become proficient with it will support your obvious finding and opinion. Small coils serve a definite and proven benefit on any detector and agreed, Deus would be well served to offer one.

Anymore said would only rekindle naysayer retort.

Thanks for your effort:D

Sorry normx2,that wasn’t me.i saw that posted on YouTube.I just thought I’d share it cause those are all good machines,and how important coil selection is.

There’s science and then there’s opinion. If an object is not in the coils field then it’s not part of the overall report...makes sense that a small coil will see separate targets easier. Not much more to be said about that...shall we call it “common science”?

There’s science and then there’s opinion. If an object is not in the coils field then it’s not part of the overall report...makes sense that a small coil will see separate targets easier. Not much more to be said about that...shall we call it “common science”?

Masking is masking in my opinion,whether the masking object is on top of the good target or 6 inches away. Unmasking isn’t just how fast a machine is,it’s also coil selection for what we see here.Its not ny opinion in this video,the video speaks for itself.

I see that the operator of the machines is just using turn on and go setup. Which is about what i would expect from the scenario. I could easily set up my etrac with stock coil to have nailed that dime, and it is not even considered a fast machine. If you are going to use turn on and go setups then coil selection is absolutely critical for success in this scenario. Also we never saw a ground balance ,, did he do one? Or just turn on the machines and start testing? A proper GB is critical. Lots of variables but yes coil selection matters a lot.

I watched the video closely.
The cheapest won??
Really!

Actually not much can be gained from the video.

A few facts here based on my use and testing of all detectros in video except Mohave.

Deus Hf coil 9” round.
It will outperform most other detectors with same size coil attached in iron.

If we put 11” round coils on all detectors currently made.
Deus x35 Coil,, EQX 800, Rutus Alter 71, Anfibio mulit will earn best marks.

There is a fly in the ointment here though.
Target conductivity.
Higher conductors like silver dimes.
Don’t discount Etrac and CTX.

Lower conductors Deus, Eqx better performers.
A 14khz or 15khz detector as far as finding most nonferous in iron comparing detectors using higher freq with same size coils are at a disadvantage.

Lots of variables involved with nonferrous and nails/iron.
Which detector answers more equations it is subjected to I say key. Ups ones odds.

A detector that can separate unmask while at the same time getting good depth ups one’s odds.

A person can take any detecfor with smaller coil and make finds.
But even here if detector models are compared with smaller coil use. Some will have advantages.

Anfibio 19 and multi with smaller coils good choice.
Nokta Impact good choice.
Eqx With 6” Coil good choice.

Naturally in sites with more modern junk trash, this what hold for in nail and iron performance. Performance in junk nonferrous can be different.

Again Eqx with 6” coil and fbs/fbs 2 units can be very performing in these sites.

And looks like whomever has Mohave ad it breaks they can put in trashcan like a butane lighter that is exhausted. Seems support is lacking.

Little vid here I did showing Etrac strength on higher conductor below plane of nail vs EQX 800 Park 2.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQwmf5JGQI

So,
A few last comments here.
You take detectors wearing stock coils like Racers, F75, F70, Nokta fors core, AT pro, At Max into a ferrous polluted old (with little modern trash) site with goal of locating all nonferrous. Try it.
But guess what.
You go back and hunt with detectors like EQX, Deus with even a low freq coil and hF coil, Rutus, Anfibio 19, Nokta relic and multi and multi Kruzer detectors, detectorist has high HIGH odds of locating nonferous left behind by those other units. This is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Now will the additional nonferrous contain any nice finds ? Your guess is as good a signal mine. I CAN’T say. Could be though.

Detectors are usually priced like they are for a reason. Manufacturers know exactly where their units fit in innthe grand scheme. Hence priced accordingly.
And so far I see this pricing is reflective of actual performance. If anything price reductions should happen somewhat with Etrac and CTX.

Last edited:
I watched the video closely.
The cheapest won??
Really!

Actually not much can be gained from the video.

A few facts here based on my use and testing of all detectros in video except Mohave.

Deus Hf coil 9” round.
It will outperform most other detectors with same size coil attached in iron.

If we put 11” round coils on all detectors currently made.
Deus x35 Coil,, EQX 800, Rutus Alter 71, Anfibio mulit will earn best marks.

There is a fly in the ointment here though.
Target conductivity.
Higher conductors like silver dimes.
Don’t discount Etrac and CTX.

Lower conductors Deus, Eqx better performers.
A 14khz or 15khz detector as far as finding most nonferous in iron comparing detectors using higher freq with same size coils are at a disadvantage.

Lots of variables involved with nonferrous and nails/iron.
Which detector answers more equations it is subjected to I say key. Ups ones odds.

A detector that can separate unmask while at the same time getting good depth ups one’s odds.

A person can take any detecfor with smaller coil and make finds.
But even here if detector models are compared with smaller coil use. Some will have advantages.

Anfibio 19 and multi with smaller coils good choice.
Nokta Impact good choice.
Eqx With 6” Coil good choice.

Naturally in sites with more modern junk trash, this what hold for in nail and iron performance. Performance in junk nonferrous can be different.

Again Eqx with 6” coil and fbs/fbs 2 units can be very performing in these sites.

And looks like whomever has Mohave ad it breaks they can put in trashcan like a butane lighter that is exhausted. Seems support is lacking.

Little vid here I did showing Etrac strength on higher conductor below plane of nail vs EQX 800 Park 2.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQwmf5JGQI

So,
A few last comments here.
You take detectors wearing stock coils like Racers, F75, F70, Nokta fors core, AT pro, At Max into a ferrous polluted old (with little modern trash) site with goal of locating all nonferrous. Try it.
But guess what.
You go back and hunt with detectors like EQX, Deus with even a low freq coil and hF coil, Rutus, Anfibio 19, Nokta relic and multi and multi Kruzer detectors, detectorist has high HIGH odds of locating nonferous left behind by those other units. This is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Now will the additional nonferrous contain any nice finds ? Your guess is as good a signal mine. I CAN’T say. Could be though.

Detectors are usually priced like they are for a reason. Manufacturers know exactly where their units fit in innthe grand scheme. Hence priced accordingly.
And so far I see this pricing is reflective of actual performance. If anything price reductions should happen somewhat with Etrac and CTX.

Well,the video is actually a mirror of a real life situation I had .I took a few of those machines he had in the video over a small yard,maybe 20x50 fenced in area..Last hint was with a Mohave,and I found a silver goblet at 6 inches,and a Rosie at 5 inches.
Now,there is no way possible I didn't have those big stock coils of the impact,nox and omegga over those two targets..They were masked and couldn't be seen.
Is the Mohave better , no..But it's definitely better in coil size when against others all using stock coils.

Well,the video is actually a mirror of a real life situation I had .I took a few of those machines he had in the video over a small yard,maybe 20x50 fenced in area..Last hint was with a Mohave,and I found a silver goblet at 6 inches,and a Rosie at 5 inches.
Now,there is no way possible I didn't have those big stock coils of the impact,nox and omegga over those two targets..They were masked and couldn't be seen.
Is the Mohave better , no..But it's definitely better in coil size when against others all using stock coils.

What do you mean by better?
EQX with 6” coil will go deep on a nickel.
Mohave with small coil. It will get destroyed by Eqx.
Which one separates better. If we give them a tie for separation Eqx still wins because of depth.
I love it.
Stick a detector with small coil over one scenario and bingo Mohave is the king!!
You are funny Woody.:lol::lol:

Seems Mohave is out of business.
Why??
If it is king.

What do you mean by better?
EQX with 6” coil will go deep on a nickel.
Mohave with small coil. It will get destroyed by Eqx.
Which one separates better. If we give them a tie for separation Eqx still wins because of depth.
I love it.
Stick a detector with small coil over one scenario and bingo Mohave is the king!!
You are funny Woody.:lol::lol:

Seems Mohave is out of business.
Why??
If it is king.

I posted this video to show the value of a smaller coil,not to debate machines.I don’t ever remember saying one machine was better than another,just that coil size really matters.

Last edited:
If you read my post I said the Mohave is better when compared to the others in unmasking when all are wearing stock coils, including the mohave
As much as I know your stuck on the nox,it will not outseperate the Mohave with both wearing stock coils
We could look at or your way,buy a nox for $550,then buy a 6 inch coil for $180 and end up with the Same unmasking ability’s of a $250 mojave.lol.you make me laugh tnsharpshooter ,not very good bang for the buck imo

And so are other detectors wearing smaller coils.
Yeah, EQX will destroy Mohave hunting in modern trash. Faster at being able to discern higher conductors.
Flip EQX to single freq 5kkz in foil, etc. it will sniff out higher conductors with better ID.
Mohave will start averaging the lower and higher conductors and user will have to lower disc to hear, hence more junk will be dug.
Can say the same too, with Anfibio multi whooping Mohave using 5khz in modern trash running VDI normalization set non normalized.
CTX will whoop too wearing 6” coil.

Yeah all detectors are capable.
Some more capable.

Woody.
You should ditch all others. Buy you a couple Mojaves and call it a day.

So according to you we have all been (except for you) HAD by all other detector manufacturers but Tesoro (Mohave). :laughing::laughing:

I insist that 'Pops' the sound!! The best finds are missed unless Pops abound!, You cant stop hopping when the tones be popping! Snap, Krapple, Pop makes the World go round! :laughing::laughing:

Small coils on detector models can’t alert on some nonferrous bound up by ferrrous where bigger coils actually can ALERT on. These targets alerted on with bigger coils not out of depth range for detectors wearing small coils either.

And so are other detectors wearing smaller coils.
Yeah, EQX will destroy Mohave hunting in modern trash. Faster at being able to discern higher conductors.
Flip EQX to single freq 5kkz in foil, etc. it will sniff out higher conductors with better ID.
Mohave will start averaging the lower and higher conductors and user will have to lower disc to hear, hence more junk will be dug.
Can say the same too, with Anfibio multi whooping Mohave using 5khz in modern trash running VDI normalization set non normalized.
CTX will whoop too wearing 6” coil.

Yeah all detectors are capable.
Some more capable.

Woody.
You should ditch all others. Buy you a couple Mojaves and call it a day.

So according to you we have all been (except for you) HAD by all other detector manufacturers but Tesoro (Mohave). :laughing::laughing:

Your making uneducated guesses again.Stick to the video,and stock machines wearing stock coils.Thats pretty much what this thread is about,sorry if your machine preference didn't make the cut..All the scenario that you come up with don't change the video.

Your making uneducated guesses again.Stick to the video,and stock machines wearing stock coils.Thats pretty much what this thread is about,sorry if your machine preference didn't make the cut..All the scenario that you come up with don't change the video.

Well Woody.
I just did a video for you. Will be up here later.
Question.
Does anyone think Mojave wearing the coil in video above will detect things an Anfibio multi unit won’t while wearing a 7” concentric coil?
I say no.
Anfibio will detect all, and likely more.
So watch this video.
Small coils aren’t answer for all separation/unmasking scenarios even shallower vs bigger coils.

Last edited:
Probably a good thing old timers didn't have access to all this information. They'd just threw their hands up, hopped in the truck and headed back to the house.

Reckon back then knowin what we know today they'd have had to just quit and use them Ol beepers for boat paddles and trotline weights.

Course there was more relics and coins back then so they were probably mostly eyeball finds anyway? how could them old machines find ANYTHING??. Danged if I know???:lol:

tnsharpshooter, how do you explain a Nox 800 stock coil pulling a silver coin out of a hole with multiple nails much closer to the coin than in your test. This has been done numerous times in the wild by me. You know when your pin pointer finds numerous nails in the hole or the plug before you actually find the coin.

Also I have yet to see a actual in the wild coin that a Etrac could see that a Nox could not. I'm sure it can or could happen, but I have yet to see it. The etrac may call what it actually is better, but the Nox would still give a for sure nonferrous number worth digging.

tnsharpshooter, how do you explain a Nox 800 stock coil pulling a silver coin out of a hole with multiple nails much closer to the coin than in your test. This has been done numerous times in the wild by me. You know when your pin pointer finds numerous nails in the hole or the plug before you actually find the coin.

Also I have yet to see a actual in the wild coin that a Etrac could see that a Nox could not. I'm sure it can or could happen, but I have yet to see it. The etrac may call what it actually is better, but the Nox would still give a for sure nonferrous number worth digging.

I hunted with the etrac and nox and v3i sunday, i found four silver tried all machines on two targets and all could see the silver. Should have tried it on all 4 but i was having a good day and wanted to keep hunting. I am trying to find a target in the wild that the etrac or nox will not both hit on. I was using 6 inch on nox and new 7 inch mars lion on etrac. V3i had the 5.3 which i think is actually 6 inch as well. I am trying to do exactly what you describe and either prove or not prove the nox separation abilities over the etrac with similar coil size. I have hunted this area with the stock coils on Etrac and CTX and several other machines, i was going back now with small coils on all machines and i did have a lot of success. 3 mercs , one rosie, 10 wheat pennies, most about 4 to 6 inches. All found with etrac and new coil. Now i will go back with NOX and 6 inch and see if i can find another silver then pull out the etrac and see if it can see it. The reason i am doing this in the wild is cause i know some will chime in and say that only sure way is to find a coin in the wild then test machines. And that is what i am up to these days. I also have 6 inch coil for etrac and before i dig i will pull the 7 inch off if it fails to see target then put the 6 inch on and test then do a live dig.

Back
Top Bottom