Garrett Propointer over cheaper models?

Dig-Dug

Forum Supporter
I'm new to the hobby and just got started with my ATP. I've been looking at pinpointers and want to know if the Garrett propointer is really that much better than the $40-$60 pinpointers by Fisher and BH. The price difference is significant. Is the Garrett worth the $60-$80 more or do the cheaper ones work just as well? Thanks.

It definitely is, I tried to convince myself for awhile that my bounty hunter probe was just as good, until I broke down and got 2 propointers. The bounty hunters aren't bad but the propointer will make things simple for you and they have more depth a light built in and the pulse gets stronger the closer you get to the target.

Might should have waited for feedback on the new whites pointer. I got rid of all three of my propointers. To be honest, the way they are made they shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks. I got a new TRX on the way to test against the pro find and pistol probe. Sounds like the TRX should hang with the pistol probe for depth. Any pointer is better than no pointer though. Just hope you don't get a defective propointer right out of the box. Some guys have luck with them. I wasn't one of those people:lol:

Been using Harbor Freight $16 junk as there were to many problems posted about the Pro Pointer. Whites TRX will be in my hands Tuesday. Forum sponsor
phil myers has them in stock!
Forum Sponsor www.myersdepot.com 813-237-1939 [email protected]

Do some forum searchers, just saw anther field report yesterday from a user where he was getting 4.5" with the TRX, KellyCo was 3.5 and Pro Pointer did not read at all.. If I can find it I will post a link to it later on.

Congrats on the purchase N7XW you wont regret it. A tip buy an alkaline battery for it, they ship it with a heavy duty and it dies very quickly and will tend to make the PP act up. I don't know why they do that.

BTW Harbor freight has 4 packs of alkaline for $3.99 with coupon on occasion regularly $5.99 the brand is Thunderbolt and they are all I use anymore, great batteries. Also they have 24pks of AA's I use for my Lobo ST

To me the additional cost of a whites TRX for an inch more depth (as they claim) is not justified.

A pinpointer is simply used for "pinpointing" not as a depth monster metal detector.

Once a target is located with the detector it should be simple to find with the propointer and digging tool.

I can place my propointer on top of the target area and 95% of the time get a pulse before even digging. If not a simple small plug cut puts it in range.

To the OP, I would suggest if you are in the frozen north, sit tight a wait to see the field reports on the TRX in the next months. They sell for $147 just for comparison. If you are in the south and have a Harbor Freight, buy the $16 pin pointer and use it till the switch fails (about a day) then replace the switch (lots of posts on doing that) after a month or so, you will know which of the new Pin pointers is leading the pack.

BTW here is what phil had to say, just saw this ..
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=181293&highlight=TRX+field

Here is the field report comparing all the high end stuff
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/402363-trx-target-recovery-xcellence.html

I'm new to the hobby and just got started with my ATP. I've been looking at pinpointers and want to know if the Garrett propointer is really that much better than the $40-$60 pinpointers by Fisher and BH. The price difference is significant. Is the Garrett worth the $60-$80 more or do the cheaper ones work just as well? Thanks.

Dang right it is....Own both go Garett all the way...Trust me.

I don't have experience with anything other than the fisher/bh pinpointer. While its helpful when starting out in the hobby, it drives me bonkers. No tone until you are within a half inch of object at most. Thing goes batty all the time. Spend probably 5 mins each hunt turning the sense up or down to either stop it from buzzing uncontrollably to turning it up to pinpoint. The battery cap has two clips in which one broke after a 1 foot drop. Im planning on upgrading soon!

Going from the HF (Centech) pinpointer to the GPP was night and day for me. I won't hunt without my GPP. Love the thing and have not had any of the problems with it that other's have seemed to have had. However, I'm curious to see how the White's TRX measures up. I use the ring trick (wedding band works well for this) on my GPP all the time to increase the range when locating a target in a plug or hole. It works, but would be nice if the option was built in as it apparently is on the TRX.

Going from the HF (Centech) pinpointer to the GPP was night and day for me. I won't hunt without my GPP. Love the thing and have not had any of the problems with it that other's have seemed to have had. However, I'm curious to see how the White's TRX measures up. I use the ring trick (wedding band works well for this) on my GPP all the time to increase the range when locating a target in a plug or hole. It works, but would be nice if the option was built in as it apparently is on the TRX.

So do you have to do the ring trick each time you use it or do you do it once and it holds the settings?

So do you have to do the ring trick each time you use it or do you do it once and it holds the settings?

I only use the ring trick if the GPP doesn't initially respond after I've dug the plug. So, probably only use the ring trick about 20% of the time. The way the GPP works, is that every time it's turned on it "resets" it's threshold. For maximal "factory" distance, you need to make sure the tip is not near any metal when it's turned on. You can actually "detune" the detector by holding it close to a metal object while turning it on. This decreases the detection distance. Why would you want to do that? you might ask. It's helpful when there is a strong target in a hole that causes the GPP to go off anywhere in the hole, by detuning it you can usually pinpoint the exact location of the target using this method. On the contrary, the ring trick is used to maximize distance. Start by turning on the GPP (away from any metal) and then slide some metal object (i.e. a ring on finger) down towards the tip of the GPP until it just starts to react, then back off the metal object slightly and hold it there while using the GPP. It'll add just a little detection distance, which can sometimes help determine if the target is either deeper in the hole or a smaller target that's buried in the plug. I turn off my GPP between targets, so if I have to use this method, then it's got to be reset every time. After you've done it a couple times, you'll see how easy it is. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. :lol:

Just buried a nickel 4" down and the TRX hits it at an inch gap above the ground. Even stronger than my pistol probe. You can use a ring to detune it. But the ratchet pinpoint works great. As you get closer to the target just tap the on off button. Not spongy like the Garrett either. I sold three propointers. Glad I did! The TRX is awesome!

Just buried a nickel 4" down and the TRX hits it at an inch gap above the ground. Even stronger than my pistol probe. You can use a ring to detune it. But the ratchet pinpoint works great. As you get closer to the target just tap the on off button. Not spongy like the Garrett either. I sold three propointers. Glad I did! The TRX is awesome!

It's going to take more of a sales pitch than that before I buy one :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom