Who else prefers concentric coils?

BushWhacker

It seems like the market is obsessed with DD coils. I actually prefer concentric on most of the areas I hunt. To me I seem to get a larger detection field around the edge of the coil and might punch a bit deeper as well.
I sent an email to Nel asking about making large concentric coils because I think there may be a market for those of us who prefer them.

So am I about the only person who prefers concentric?

I use both with my MXT and M6 depending on the site that I am hunting. My go to coil for the MXT is the 10X12 SEF coil and it rarely comes off that detector. I use the M6 in moderate to heavy trash areas and my main coil is the 6X8 SEF unless the area is littered with bottlecaps. If that's the case then I use the Whites 5.3 Concentric because the concentric coils seem to ID better on bottlecaps. If the area I am hunting is super trashy then the 4X6 DD comes out and I go really slow and pick the keepers out of the trash. I think the SEF, DD, and Concentric coils all have a place depending on the situation and location.

It depends on the site. Low trash big area yes, concentric will pick up stuff that is NOT under the coil, especially with a whites machine running in mixed mode. However add a little trash or mineralization and I want me a DD!

Got a reply from Andrey at Nel and he said, "Unfortunately concentric coils in the near future will not be made." Oh well, it was worth a shot asking about them though. Who knows maybe later on they will see a need to make them.

I find that other than pinpointing double d coils are deeper and just better overall. With concentric I have lots of issues determining what the target is this is partially because with concentric coils you have a cone shaped signal which means 2-4 inches is the ideal depth for your machine to determine the target type anything after you have a weaker signal and your machine had to be right over the target directly to get the signal it can't be off to the side. With double d the signal is basically the shape of the coil so yeah you may lose depth in very rare cases you will have better identification and sizing of the target but pinpointing may not be as accurate.

It seems like the market is obsessed with DD coils. I actually prefer concentric on most of the areas I hunt. To me I seem to get a larger detection field around the edge of the coil and might punch a bit deeper as well.
I sent an email to Nel asking about making large concentric coils because I think there may be a market for those of us who prefer them.

So am I about the only person who prefers concentric?

When I was swinging my fisher f4 I loved the 10" concentric coil. It was a bit tougher to get through the trash with but it is deeper than the famous 11"DD and didn't ring every steel beer bottle cap as a coin. Funny thing is that you never hear anything about the 10" coil it's always the 11"DD or the 4".....

Concentric coils throw a cone shaped signal and the deeper you go the smaller the area it is covering. once you get down 6" + you are only covering just a tiny spot in the center of the coil. no thanks ... DD coils for me only

I prefer the concentric coils, much easier to pinpoint. Had never needed to buy a pinpointer since they first came out. Now using DD coils on the newer machines know why pinpointers are so popular.

Since the 7" mono coils I build for my Pi have the characteristics of both the concentric and DD coils, the transition from a concentric to a DD on my VLF machines is becoming easier.

Have found the Teknetics NEL Sharpshooter DD has a sweet spot, I can now almost pinpoint dead center on top of a target. The trick that works for me is, pinpoint like you would with a DD, after pulling back the coil until the target sound stops, don't dig at the coils tip. Dig straight below the coil decal just in front of the lower rod mounting ears.

nelsharpshooter95x55001.jpg

its funny how a lot of people like pinpointing with a concentric better. i think my brain just works differently. i find pp with a DD coil much much easier.

I generally prefer concentric coils, they seem to work better and go deeper in the soil around here, that being said all my current coils are DD, but most coils tend to be DD now-a-days, especially on higher end units.

I generally prefer concentric coils, they seem to work better and go deeper in the soil around here, that being said all my current coils are DD, but most coils tend to be DD now-a-days, especially on higher end units.

DD is better at everything but pinpointing. Especially in my soil which is loaded with iron and ground minerals which causes falsing and target masking

DD is better at everything but pinpointing. Especially in my soil which is loaded with iron and ground minerals which causes falsing and target masking

Depends, here in mild ground the concentric is deeper, size for size a concentric will be the deeper coil in mild ground. The DD benefits in my area are more about coverage than depth.

meh, Concentrics seem more sensitive to gold, ive found about 5 pieces of gold with one and none with a DD

I use the 3.25 x 6in coil on my F75 and it's great for small gold, it also works VERY well in trash, I pulled 3 silver coins from a trashy yard I pounded with 15 other detectors over the years. The depth is also very good for a small coil. It's significantly deeper on small gold than my 11in DD coil.

On the right machines Concentrics are deeper, much cleaner with I'ding junk, and the concentics nowdays are so much better than years ago. I find the handle hot ground just as well as a DD.
Good case in point is the 6"concentric mid freq on the XTerra. They work through heavy junk better than the high and low freq 6" DD's and are deeper with a more accurate ID.

It's funny how a lot of people think a DD's blade goes straight down at depth from tip to toe. They actually cone back in just like the concentric only the tip is missing, making them shallower. On an 11"DD you are only working at full depth in the 2.5" of the centre of the coil.

Yep, I love concentrics....

Back
Top Bottom