How sensitive do you run your at pro?

Sjcstro

Do most of you run your at pro 2 notches down from full sensitivity?

Or do you guys run it at maximum?

I know maximum makes the machine go haywire sometimes. Just curious.

I run mine as high as conditions allow , which is normally but not always one or two below full. A lot of people don't realize how important it is to match each and every setting to site and conditions. Sensitivity does not necessarily equal depth , and if I notice quirky behavior and or what I consider to be excessive and unnecessary " extra " noise I will bump it down a notch or two. If I am hunting extremely trashy ground with dense targets I will take the sensitivity down to the opposite extreme with only one or two bars showing....this reduces interference from nearby targets out around the edges of the coil and focuses the detection field more to what is directly beneath the coil. That dosent completely stop the target blending or masking but it does help a lot towards target separation and identification.

I run mine as high as conditions allow , which is normally but not always one or two below full. A lot of people don't realize how important it is to match each and every setting to site and conditions. Sensitivity does not necessarily equal depth , and if I notice quirky behavior and or what I consider to be excessive and unnecessary " extra " noise I will bump it down a notch or two. If I am hunting extremely trashy ground with dense targets I will take the sensitivity down to the opposite extreme with only one or two bars showing....this reduces interference from nearby targets out around the edges of the coil and focuses the detection field more to what is directly beneath the coil. That dosent completely stop the target blending or masking but it does help a lot towards target separation and identification.

Yep, what he said.............:D

Excellent!

Full sens, pro zero, no disc, no notch. ...in other words, wide open!

I also run wide open the majority of the time. Sometimes conditions cause me to back off on the sensitivity a notch or two. However, ohiochris makes a valid point.

Does running it wide open make it more sensitive as well? I usually notch out anything below 35.

Does running it wide open make it more sensitive as well? I usually notch out anything below 35.

Notching out target ranges does not affect anything , it just silences the tone. Its the separate iron discrimination function that can reduce depth ability. Running the sensitivity high is the only thing that makes it more sensitive , and at the highest level you can gain a little depth if the soil make up is cooperating with you , but that just means it takes less of a target or less of a response from a target at the extreme depth limit of the detection field to make the detector register. Unfortunately that also means it takes less of a response from all the shallower or nearby targets to make the detector sound off too , so you can see why too much sensitivity can cause problems especially in trashy ground with target separation and masking. Having the sensitivity set too high can also increase problems from bad or highly mineralized soil.

Its all about finding the sweet spot between sensitivity/depth and accuracy/separation.

A lot of people run everything wide open because they like to hear everything. That can be an advantage....... or a distraction depending on the circumstances

I run all the sens bars,not noisy either unless at saltwater.

That's good , you must have some good and clean ground around there. Now go over all that ground again with less sensitivity and see how many coins you missed due to increased target masking with the sensitivity wide open ;)

Im not saying you are doing anything wrong , only that there are a number of reasons Garrett included a sensitivity adjustment. Keeping it pegged at max regardless of the site or circumstance can be causing you to miss a lot.

That's good , you must have some good and clean ground around there. Now go over all that ground again with less sensitivity and see how many coins you missed due to increased target masking with the sensitivity wide open ;)

Im not saying you are doing anything wrong , only that there are a number of reasons Garrett included a sensitivity adjustment. Keeping it pegged at max regardless of the site or circumstance can be causing you to miss a lot.

I will have to give it a go,Thank you!

Agree ,good answers , it all depends on the make up of the soil.
HH

Yep...I have been running mine in Prozero, 3 clicks down, and a 40 disc with Iron off....Now..this is in the water of Lake Michigan mind you...gold hunting..NO trouble hitting coins and rings and even chains at amazing depths with stability even with these paltry settings!...I'm in the Lake or up on the black sand depending on the site and weather...

Just recently I've been experiencing a bit...kicking it up a notch or two and dropping disc and running Iron on...Jurys still out as far as if this has helped me any...also, I've never ground balanced the thing in 4yrs....the black sand is heavily magnetic, and the clean water sand not so much...I'm really not the 'optimum' person to go by...just saying, its a hell of a rig with great operator forgiveness in settings if you get it over gold or silver,, you should hear it...I run all my rigs on the 'light' side though...I cant take the chatter..I want to hear the good targets and profile of them...
Mud

Attachments

• Apr 2-15-1.jpg
    Apr 2-15-1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 530
  • blow2.jpg
    blow2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 547
  • black s.jpg
    black s.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 613
Depending on where I am at usually wide open nothing disc'd. Though if I'm just hitting the ball fields for fresh clad I'll drop it back 3-4 bars and just go after the shallow stuff. Depends on if it's game season or winter when no one else is going to be running on it for awhile. As for disc I usually don't use it at all unless I'm in a super trashy area where it goes AK47 on me without it.

Yep...I have been running mine in Prozero, 3 clicks down, and a 40 disc with Iron off....Now..this is in the water of Lake Michigan mind you...gold hunting..NO trouble hitting coins and rings and even chains at amazing depths with stability even with these paltry settings!...I'm in the Lake or up on the black sand depending on the site and weather...

Just recently I've been experiencing a bit...kicking it up a notch or two and dropping disc and running Iron on...Jurys still out as far as if this has helped me any...also, I've never ground balanced the thing in 4yrs....the black sand is heavily magnetic, and the clean water sand not so much...I'm really not the 'optimum' person to go by...just saying, its a hell of a rig with great operator forgiveness in settings if you get it over gold or silver,, you should hear it...I run all my rigs on the 'light' side though...I cant take the chatter..I want to hear the good targets and profile of them...
Mud

Black sand alert..........grab my gold pan ! .....Im settin up the sluice box right here !

Back
Top Bottom