Question for coinshooters - how do you carry your finds in the field?

I don't like putting any dirty detecting finds in my pockets... I hate fishing the little clumps of dirt out later. I have the Garrett pouch and it's wonderful. It has a big main compartment with plenty of room for several pounds of trash as well as my digger, and it has a separate smaller zippered compartment for keepers. Plus it has an area on the front you can lash stuff to, like the ProPointer sheath. I want to say it was about $12 shipped off ebay, new.

All my junk finds go into an apron around the waist. Any coins go into a small pouch with a drawstring on it that came with a some of my wifes sunglasses. Just loop the drawstring around my belt loop and then slide it into my front pocket. Keeps everything pretty secure and as well not letting the dirt fill my pocket up. Anything real good goes into to the other front pocket. If that good I don't mind a little dirt. The washing machine will cure that later.

After losing my oldest coin find ever after finding it, I changed my policy in finding special places to store a "good" find. If my smart phone says the coin is not key dated and the coin is just average shape...I am relaxing on field cleaning AND the separate storage containers. My 1887 Seated was slipped into an inner sleeve in my wallet, and the wallet jammed into my back pocket. The very first stop I made before showing it to a good hunt buddy later...it somehow slipped out. Bottom line? If it ain't rare, it now gets field cleaned and tossed into my treasure pouch with little hesitation. I believe that it is possible to "wish" yourself to lose good stuff sometimes.

If I really felt like preserving a great find, I would just trek to the car and put it in there until later. jm2c.

Clad and other assorted junk goes in my the finds pouch of my MD bag. Also on the bag I have a separate small zippered pocket where silver, Wheats, and other "special" finds go for safe keeping.

Two Pocket Pouch

Copper Pennies, Clad Coins, Silver Coins, Silver and Gold Jewlery in one pocket, and zinc pennies and all other junk go in the other pocket. I'm afraid if I make special effort to keep valuble finds in a special place, I will loose them for sure. And you don't know how much I hate looseing stuff I find!
Good luck
Harry
PS I had a gf named Sue many years ago. I don't suppose it was you?

Copenhagen can

My good stuff gets wrapped in wet paper towel that is folded into an empty snuff can. Easy to open with gloves or cold out and then it goes in my pocket. Really good finds, like the 1900 Morgan I found last week stopped all hunting and I walked it to the truck:D:D. My first Morgan!!! I will post picks when things slow down.

Like a couple of others, I have the Garrett pouch and find it works great. Good stuff in the zippered pouch, trash in the big compartment. I have also recently obtained a small watertight box that I have a moist sponge in. I cut some slits in the sponge big enough to slide in the "important" finds. Keeps them from drying out and protects them from scratches. Now I just have to find things to put in it.

I have a surplus web gear belt that I have attached several items to. Two US compass pouches hold my coins (one on each side) and a old medical kit pouch holds trash. My digger and pinpointer are in a modified German magazine pouch on my right side. I added a tool carrier on the left to hold a kneeling pad (short hunts) and a mini shovel. Leaves both hands free to swing, dig, ect. Total cost was less than $15.

It's probably sacrilege to say - but regular coin finds, including silver, go in my pocket. Really old or other "good" finds go into a baggie in the backpack I carry.

Carpenters tool belt,,, not my shortest reply...

I use a 6 pocket Tool belt (mainly because I have had it forever), the top sorta flat pockets I use for Cigs and lighter on the left and I carry a very small bottle of spray cleaner, small Tack cloth, and Jewelers loop on the right. In The large tool pouches (that have flat dividers) I carry light rubber faced gardening Gloves, a medium towel (for personal use), and my cold drink on the left, On the right I carry my pro pointer, Fiskars digger, an Ames 3in Garden trowel, and I stick all decent finds in it!!! Pro Pointer and Fiskars fit into holders inside of the pouch like they were made for them, I just shove the trowel down in the pouch... In the lower small open pouches I toss my scrap and trash. The left pouch hammer holder has a folded dish towel behind my Pistol Probe. I sometimes carry a large Craftsman screwdriver in the right pouch "side pass through". In all pencil holder pockets I carry long golf tees for marking targets and a metal and a wood rod type objects for cleaning mud off of tools and stuff. If I'm hunting wooded areas I toss a Fiskars Pruner in my left large pocket for cutting roots. I would rather have something I don't need, than need something I don't have... Some people travel light, as it's plain to see I don't... GL & HH.....Pat... Carp I forgot Old coins and jewelry go into my pocket instantly...

I use a prescription pill bottle for the general clad/copper/zinc etc. (I used to use one of those M&M tubes that M&Ms come in.) But for the special coins (silver/wheats/IH's etc.) and other small special finds I have a divided holder that I put cotton batting in (See Photo).

Attachments

• Special Coins-Finds Holder.JPG
    Special Coins-Finds Holder.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 62
I used the garrett holder bag which I got for free with the at pro...but the shear weight of the coins bust it (the little zip up pockets on the inside), need something meatier for next year, maybe a smaller belt zip up pocket or fanny pack

I use 2 pill bottles one with water to clean the coins off and the other to hold the coins.

The valuable coins I put in the same pill bottle with the others but in between the clad and the good ones i wrap the valuable coin in kleenex or similar tissue to create a protective barrier.

Back
Top Bottom