[Solved!] Best Coin Detector For $500?

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
Looking for help finding a great detector, I've listed my hunting style and finds below to help, that will fit my needs and not require me to upgrade again (and again and...).

Well I "jumped the gun" and went out and bought a White's Coinmaster Pro about two weeks back - spring fever I guess. Well the detector isn't for me for multiple reasons (bad target separation (due to 9" coil?) and slow response/recovery time are the main two) so it's for sell on eBay or trading it to my local detector dealer if it doesn't sell.

I'm also selling off my Nikon D3100 DSLR camera and *many* accessories, as heck I'm a digger and not a photographer. Then if I rub a bit more money from a paycheck into the mix I will have around the $500-$600 mark for a detector.

I hunt coins, preferably silver but it isn't there it isn't, so clad will do. :D I also like to find jewelry when it's around (2 rings so far). I live in southern Indiana and only hunt parks, yards, the occasion field, shallow (1' or less) creeks, or dry creek beds. I'm not looking for relics, gold or anything else - primarily just coins, and secondary is jewelry.

Ground balance is not a problem here, preset ground detectors work with no problems for me. The largest and ideal coil size is 7" or 8", larger coils seem to have problems with target separation (or even overloading) due to trash around here - and the option of getting a 4" or 5" coil would be great.

Also It seems most finds are in the 2" to 6" deep in my area, but there is some silver in the 8" range here. So something hitting 8" in the ground would be great as long as it's not just a pop can.

I would prefer 9volt battery operation, as that is what rechargeable batteries I have bought, but will be willing to change to AA if needed.

Anyway I like the Tesoro beep and deep setup, but I've gotten use to the fact most modern detectors have meters - just hope to find one that doesn't drag the audio tone around with the jumping meter signals too.

I've owned a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola, White's Coinmaster Pro, and a HF 9 Function detector. By far my favorite was the Cibola. I've been exposed to the Garrett Ace 250 and Fisher F5 through my dad but no time using either.

I called my local MD dealer and his recommendation was simply a Tesoro De Leon as that is what he uses and claims accurate ID of a penny at 9" in soil around here. Trying to talk about any other models seemed to be a mute point with him.

They are however authorized dealers for the Tesoro, Fisher, White's, Garrett, and Minelab detectors. So no real shortage of brands to choose from, and great folks to deal with (heck if I bought my Coinmaster Pro from him he would refund the entire purchase price towards my upgrade detector).

I have also though been looking at the classifieds here at the forum and wouldn't mind getting used or a older model either. Just not sure which way to go - so if anyone could point me in a direction based on my needs, area, and price for a great coin detector let me know. :mder:

So far I've been looking at the Tesoro De Leon/Vaquero/Outlaw (3 coil pack), a White's MXT (Used), Fisher CZ-6 or CZ-3D, or even some of the older White's such as the 5900 or 6000 DI/Eagle II SL/etc. -- but a new shiny detector with a warranty would be great if possible.

So as you can see I'm trying to throw a big enough net to land me a detector that will last me.

Last edited:
I am gonna suggest the Whites M6 with a 8x6 SEF coil, it is made on the same platform as the MXT. My favorite coin setup. It is built to last.

The Omega 8000 is a great detector for the money, with a large selection of coils, both factory and aftermarket.

If you can try a Eurotek Pro with the 8" coil, you should, it is also a good little coin hunter in trashy areas (no manual ground balance).

Both the Omega and Eurotek use the same coils, you may want to check out the small 5" coil for them.

Seems you've got 3 votes for Omega, and here's another.
It's 5 X 10 coil is great at separation. much better than AT Pros stock coil.

The deleon is OK, and deep if you don't mind one tone, they have a couple draw backs, it does not ID well as EVERY coin will be a 95. Omega IDs very good.

It's in your price range, it will find coins 9-10" deep no problem. I have used all the others mentioned, and Omega is my go to machine.

Check my year end post to see what it has netted me, look down the post you'll see a video too with a pretty deep hole.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=183952

The Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon are great beep & dig detectors. If you are wanting a meter/display I'd go with a Teknetics Omega or Gamma. The EuroTek Pro does very well also considering its price. I would be happy to give you a price on any of the Tesoro or Teknetics detectors.

Omega with 5" coil is absolutely deadly on coins! I'd go with the Omega with stock coil and look for a 5" sniper coil later.

I say contact Jeff at Quality Detectors and talk to him about a Garrett AT Pro. I have been enjoying the heck out of the one I purchased from him.

You won't be disappointed.

Good Luck.

The Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon are great beep & dig detectors. If you are wanting a meter/display I'd go with a Teknetics Omega or Gamma. The EuroTek Pro does very well also considering its price. I would be happy to give you a price on any of the Tesoro or Teknetics detectors.

He "could" even drop to a delta, and get the depth he's requiring, but I think the omega, with adjustable GB, freq. shift, (which comes in handy in some locations) and a better coil shape, coverage of 10 " with separation of a 5, is well worth it. Plus he said didn't want to keep upgrading. I've used F75s (LTD) and e-track, I feel no need to upgrade my omega. While I admit F75 will edge it out on depth, I know from experience (154 old coppers last year) that there just isn't many coin out of reach of my Omega, so that is why Omega remains my go-to. weight, performance, simplicity, one battery, etc.

$500 detector

I WOULD LOOK INTO A WHITES METAL DETECTOR...MY FRIEND! :yes:
TALK TO LARRY @ NWI METAL DETECTORS!
he will give you the best price on any detector you decide.....and he is upfront and honest ! :yes:

Go with the Omega hands down the best metal detector under $1000.The M-6 would also be a good choice.I have used both Omega is deeper but M-6 finds more deep coins if that makes any sense.I think the M-6 ID's coins deeper then the Omega.The Omega you can use all day without getting tired.Talk to Bart he will hook you up with what you need.

Go with the Omega hands down the best metal detector under $1000.The M-6 would also be a good choice.I have used both Omega is deeper but M-6 finds more deep coins if that makes any sense.I think the M-6 ID's coins deeper then the Omega.The Omega you can use all day without getting tired.Talk to Bart he will hook you up with what you need.
Are you saying the Omega finds non coin items deeper than the M6 and the M6 finds coins deeper than the Omega :?::?::?:. In my ground the M6 wasn't any deeper than any of the other detectors I have used over the years. Not saying there is anything wrong with the M6.:D

Are you saying the Omega finds non coin items deeper than the M6 and the M6 finds coins deeper than the Omega :?::?::?:. In my ground the M6 wasn't any deeper than any of the other detectors I have used over the years.

If you read enough, for long enough you will figure out that all detectors in a price range will have the same depth.. coil size had more to do with it than the machine. You will also see some folks buy 8 detectors in a year.. never really learning any of them... Me being a newbie can only go buy the data collected and that data says, buy what feels good in your hand and fits your budget. No machine is magic, you gota get the coil over the coin, with no trash between the coin and the coil.. Having a machine that can see to 15" won't help if there are 4 layers for trash between the coin and the coil
If you have never read this article, please do, I found it very enlightening.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detector_search_coils.shtml

Back
Top Bottom