Sanborn maps changed account/password

Goldenexpress

My quest for this research season! Please help!

Ever since I got into the hobby back in September, the biggest obstacle that I encountered is finding a good place to md. I clearly recognize that this is one of the most important things to do in the hobby, because no matter how well I got accustomed to md'ing or how good my machine was I wouldn't find any place except if I researched it first. With the cold air moving in over the last week I noticed that this was my opportunity to do some research.
The only problem is that I did not know where to start this. My local library is not of any help, because they do not have any maps of the area. I was getting weary of how to go about this last friday when I went and looked at an old street guide from 2002 that was sitting on the couch downstairs. After flipping through it I saw on the back cover a statement saying "Our 46th Year". Then it dawned on me that this company had been in existence since 1956! This got me thinking that if I could find what the old streets were back then, that I could see where the older parts of town were, research them, and find places to detect.
I went to their webpage and found and emailed them to see if they had any copies from the late 50's or early 60's. They responded that they didn't, but that I could look at the library to see if they had one their or ask a historic society.
Now this leaves me with a predicament, the librarian when I went to the library earlier in the year said they did not have any maps of the area, but was my question too vague? I think my brother in law once said his father was part of a historic society. Should I try him? Should I try on craigslist with a wanted ad? What should I do?

You should be surround with prime hunting locations. Even before the French(1690's) you had the mound builders. Tell me what part of St Louis you are in and I'll tell you where to look.

Just south of the city line

You should be surround with prime hunting locations. Even before the French(1690's) you had the mound builders. Tell me what part of St Louis you are in and I'll tell you where to look.

I don't live in the city, but I live in the south part of the Metropolitan area. Around 3-4 miles south of the city.

Last edited:
Lots of potential around your area. I use the Internet for the majority of my research. It also depends on what you want to find. If you're looking for gold(jewelry) tot lots are a ever replenishing resource. If you get yourself and good GPS you can have it guide you to all the tot lots in any area. Actually you do a search for Parks and Schools to find the tot lots.

Winter research is generally done for old parks, schools, picnic areas, swimming holes and carnival grounds if you're after old coins, and campsites, forts, cellar holes and skirmish locations for relics. Here are a few good reads for your area.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/heritage/History69/

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/index.html

Definitely get with the historical society... they are a treasure trove of information. I am amazed that the library does not have maps... maybe that is a small branch library? Go to the biggest, main library.. they should have all sorts of historical information on your city. RickO

Sounds like a good idea

Definitely get with the historical society... they are a treasure trove of information. I am amazed that the library does not have maps... maybe that is a small branch library? Go to the biggest, main library.. they should have all sorts of historical information on your city. RickO

Going to the main branch sounds like a good idea. I have got finals next week at school, and the main branch of the County library is not too far away, so I think that I will swing by their and take a look. The branch near me is very small, so that is probably why I could not find anything.

Historic map works is also a great place to look. They have started work on a new project that is perfect for metal detectorists. Its called historic earth. They are using google earth and overlaying all of their historic maps. Makes research alot easier, just click on where you live and then pick the year of the map you want to overlay. Unfortunatly they are only 17% done with it. They do have a map of univercity city,kirkwood area from 1893 on there though.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Earth/location.php

Thanks!

Thanks for all the links. The one with the historic overlay to google maps sounds very interesting. Hope they get more on there soon.:grin:

Go to your town hall and request to see tax maps... it will give a general layout of all properties owned by private residents and the township and state.

Not trying to be a spoil sport, but if these maps are not a free resource, posting the userID and passwords is copyright infringement and a federal crime with *very* stiff punishments. Not only can the users here be named in a suit, but the owner of this forum would be named for facilitating this copyright infringement.

Typical penalties are $5000 per work (or map in this case) and that can climb to $50,000 per.

im not copying anything, don't see how copyright infringement would play here. They would have to prove that Im copying something they own.

im not copying anything, don't see how copyright infringement would play here. They would have to prove that Im copying something they own.

You should read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized or prohibited use of works covered by copyright law, in a way that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.

For electronic and audio-visual media, unauthorized reproduction and distribution is also commonly referred to as piracy (an early reference was made by Daniel Defoe in 1703 when he said of his novel True-born Englishman : "Its being Printed again and again, by Pyrates"[2]). The practice of labeling the act of infringement as "piracy" actually predates copyright itself. Even prior to the 1709 enactment of the Statute of Anne, generally recognized as the first copyright law, the Stationers' Company of London in 1557 received a Royal Charter giving the company a monopoly on publication and tasking it with enforcing the charter. Those who violated the charter were labeled pirates as early as 1603.[3]

Not trying to be a spoil sport, but if these maps are not a free resource, posting the userID and passwords is copyright infringement and a federal crime with *very* stiff punishments. Not only can the users here be named in a suit, but the owner of this forum would be named for facilitating this copyright infringement.

Typical penalties are $5000 per work (or map in this case) and that can climb to $50,000 per.

so what you are saying is that you have not used sanborn maps, or looked at any other historic maps sites or any other sites for that matter with resources that require a membership?

your research attempts must be limited to libraries and word of mouth?
just remember when you are at the library and you see a map from a book, dont take it to the copy machine...thats just wrong also.

I doubt any members are copying these maps and re-selling, or using them in a powerpoint presentation at a convention.

not trying to be an a** but why take on the role of big brother watchdog?

I can see this map swapping turning into another major Napster problem...pppfftt:roll:

Sorry guys, I had to remove all the posts in this thread with usernames/passwords regarding Sanborn site. I don't think its was a good idea to post them on a public forum.

Please read their terms and conditions here http://sanborn.umi.com/HelpFiles/about.html
Terms and Conditions

Digital Sanborn Maps, 1867-1970 is owned by ProQuest, LLC and is protected by copyright and other laws that recognize the rights of copyright holders. All Sanborn maps copyrighted © 2001 by The Sanborn Map Company, Sanborn Library, LLC. Further reproductions are prohibited without written permission from Sanborn Library, LLC. Please contact Environmental Data Resources at 1-800-352-0050 for more information.

Access to Digital Sanborn Maps, 1867-1970 is available to authorized users at subscribing institutions only. Subscribers are required to sign a User License. Please contact your ProQuest Information and Learning representative. [email protected]

so what you are saying is that you have not used sanborn maps, or looked at any other historic maps sites or any other sites for that matter with resources that require a membership?

your research attempts must be limited to libraries and word of mouth?
just remember when you are at the library and you see a map from a book, dont take it to the copy machine...thats just wrong also.

I doubt any members are copying these maps and re-selling, or using them in a powerpoint presentation at a convention.

not trying to be an a** but why take on the role of big brother watchdog?

I can see this map swapping turning into another major Napster problem...pppfftt:roll:

You're missing the point. I'm simply explaining that by doing this publicly, you have put yourselves and the site owners at risk. It's clear that some do not understand how Copyright works in the US. Ignorance of the law is no defense. Think of me what you will. My intent is not malicious.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom