Pinpointer ShootOut!!!

Tkitt21

Okay I'm Purchasing my First Detector this Wednesday! Iv been looking an wanting the Garrett At Pro but I'd love to get the Ctx3030 but think it may be too high of a learning curve being my first so I may wait..

But I'm needing a pinpoint an I know this is an age old question.
But which pinpointer should I get!!!

I know everyone an their dog swears by the Garrett Propointer but Iv seen tests where the pistol probe has WAY more depth than the Garrett. And now the new minelab pro-25 has insane depth around 5" or 6" at max sensitivity air tested and it's adjustable.
So why does everyone go with the Garrett?
I was leaning toward the pistol after I seen it an the Garrett compared side by side. But now that Iv seen what the minelab can do I think I'll go with that one buy was just wanting some input on why everyone goes with the Garrett since there are pinpointer out there with way more depth??

I would love to have a waterproof sunray probe but I doubt they will make that anytime soon lol

Thank you in advance,

Trenton

the main use of a pinpointer is for locating targets that are in or around the plug so depth greater than a couple inches isn't really needed if you can pinpoint correctly with your machine. i have a garrett and love it and find myself "detuning" it for less depth. i also have the new minelab profinder on the way so i'll give my review once it arrives. i personally never liked the looks of the pistol probe mainly for the fact of being in public parks or schools with something that looks like a pistol would get some looks from nosy people.

oh and if your lookin for something 100% waterproof you could go with a vibraprobe

I have not tried the Minelab pinpointer yet but would like to. I use the ProPointer and it is really good when it's working properly. I have had to take mine to Garrett twice for repair and the last time they gave me a new one (good customer service always at Garrett). I have a TreasureMate coming in this week some time and looking forward to trying it. It has a lifetime warranty and is made by Tesoro. It also has adjustable sensitivity and you can ground balance it if you choose. People complain about the knobs but I believe O rings will fix the easy to turn problem. We will see.

More depth is not necessarily a good thing with a pinpointer. Anything more than an inch or two and you will have a harder time finding your target.

the main use of a pinpointer is for locating targets that are in or around the plug so depth greater than a couple inches isn't really needed if you can pinpoint correctly with your machine. i have a garrett and love it and find myself "detuning" it for less depth. i also have the new minelab profinder on the way so i'll give my review once it arrives. i personally never liked the looks of the pistol probe mainly for the fact of being in public parks or schools with something that looks like a pistol would get some looks from nosy people.

I agree with Dogpounds statement.

Also Dogpound let us know how the new pin pointer works please. I've been debating on getting one and using my Garrett as a test dummy for waterproofing for streams and creeks.

Ya Iv always heard Garrett customer service is amazing. And I understand more depth isn't always best on a pinpointer but with the new minelab it can beep at 5" and when you get closer the beeping an vibrate intensify .

Does anyone know about Minelabs customer service?

Here is a video of the new minelab he turns the sensitivity up at about 3:00 and it has crazy depth
An toward the end he cranks it down to minimum.

http://youtu.be/GrBstP9GajQ

I think I'm gonna go ahead an order the at pro this wednesday for my first detector And if I really like it like I think I will (since im on metal detecting forums 24/7 reading and researching an watching videos.) then I will probably upgrade to the MineLab Ctx3030 preety soon.
So I think I'm gonna stick with the minelab pinpointer as well.
Thank you for all your input!!

IMO, a pin pointer with too much depth quickly becomes a bad thing. The Garrett is the perfect combination of depth and sensitivity. Even with the Garrett, I find myself digging huge holes following that intensifying beeping when I was hoping it was only an inch or two down. If your pin pointer is capable of 5 inch depths, then you don't even need a metal detector! Just attach your pin pointer to a stick and drag it along the ground!

IMO, a pin pointer with too much depth quickly becomes a bad thing. The Garrett is the perfect combination of depth and sensitivity. Even with the Garrett, I find myself digging huge holes following that intensifying beeping when I was hoping it was only an inch or two down. If your pin pointer is capable of 5 inch depths, then you don't even need a metal detector! Just attach your pin pointer to a stick and drag it along the ground!

Ya I can see where too much depth with a pinpointer can be a bad think but with the minelab pinpointer the depth is adjustable with it on the lowest setting it's like the same depth as the Garrett but max is about 6" so I guess you could just tape it to a stick hahaha.
I'm gonna pick up the minelab and I'll do a review.
Iv seen a lot of people waterproof their Garrett's but I don't think I could bring myself to do it to my minelab when I get it so I may try an find a cheap Garrett and waterproof it or get a vibraprobe to use under water. And save the minelab for on land.

I think differently I guess. I'd welcome more depth on my Pro Pointer, 3-4" non-super-tuned for a dime would be great. I could always detune, but it is cumberson to slide the nickel at times, and in my soil conditions, the GPP's depth can diminish to an inch or less on something small. In a way, I kinda like the idea of having both the Pistol and the GPP. jm2c Martin

I'm sure the mine lab will be pretty sweet. Sometimes I just get frustrated when my Garrett beeps over the spot on the surface, and then I have to dig another 4 inches through hard, rocky ground to recover my pull tab. It's really a first world problem, but sometimes too much depth in the pin pointer drives me crazy. I guess too much depth is better than not enough. I had the Bounty Hunter pin pointer and it had to be actually touching the metal for it to beep. So useless.

I've been debating on getting one and using my Garrett as a test dummy for waterproofing for streams and creeks.

i waterproofed my propointer and it was fairly simple, just a dab of silicone on the LED, and a good coating over the power button & speaker, then i used teflon tape on the battery compartment threads, the propointer is already water resistant so with just alittle silicone you can make it water tight

i waterproofed my propointer and it was fairly simple, just a dab of silicone on the LED, and a good coating over the power button & speaker, then i used teflon tape on the battery compartment threads, the propointer is already water resistant so with just alittle silicone you can make it water tight

I really need to do that...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,137
I love the gpp for scanning the ground before digging at all, saves a bundle of time, the only thing i dont like and the minelab will be the same is its either found something or not, if your amongst trash and get a hit unless your sure the pp is on the find you could be digging to the side of it to find that more potent canslaw..it would be nice to have a multi tones pp but as someone said if you got that then why have the detector and not just strap it to a stick.

But you cant stop me dreaming

I have the Minelab pinpointer and I love it. I turned the sound off so it's quiet and if you are getting too much depth you can always turn down the sensitivity. It's a great pinpointer.

I have a Pro pointer and a Pistol Probe. The Garrett goes with me and I use the Pistol Probe for a back up. Nuff said. HH. DD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom