Advice on upgrade

Tooputz

Hello all, I am wanting to upgrade from my ace 350 i''ve been using for about a year now. Have been seeing all the hype about the at pro but am looking for some feedback on the minelab safari. I know there is always a better machine, but can't quite justify the 1000 dollar and above just yet. The safari looks nice and has the fbs technology. Any thoughts?

To me it seems like the AT Pro would be a logical upgrade with the least learning curve coming from Ace series. That's just me. I have an Ace 250 and an F2, so when I can upgrade I am planning AT Pro or F5 just to make the transition easier.

The Safari is a good machine, but you have to keep in mind that it is the entry level FBS unit, and as such has the least features.
I personally would look for a used Explorer SE, maybe even one with some warranty remaining that you can transfer.

I was looking at the explorer. Not too much difference in price on the new ones. What do you know about the older explorer xs? Think it would be as good as the newer se?

Id look for a nice used Explorer II with a Pro coil.. Never cared much for the SE..I wouldnt even consider a Safari.... The Teknetics T2 SE and Fisher F75 SE (black ones) are pretty nice machines... The F75 is more coin hunter friendly and has more coils available for it as well as the sunray probe....The T2 can be had for around 6 used and the f75, 750 or so used... If you have never used a FBS machine , they are heavy and take some getting used to... The t2 & f75 with the boost are great if you you ever hunt in tall grass or other clutter where you cant scrub the ground.. The FBS machines like the coil right on the ground....

I would stay away from anything older than the SE, mostly because Minelab won't even work on S/XS, or II models anymore.

I have seen used Etracs for less than $1000. I would go that route if I was thinking Minelab. The AT Pro is a decent machine but not very well balanced and lacks good ID at depth.

yeah you can get a used E-Trac for less than $1000 if you look diligently and are patient. It would be nice if it had any amount of warranty left to have a shakedown period.

LOL..Yeah, Im sure you would....
What's that supposed to mean??
I've got nothing else against the older models, and in fact considered getting a II because there were some great deals at the time. But since Minelab announced that they had quit servicing them, I decided to wait for the right deal to come along on one that they would still work on for at least a few more years. And now that the entire Explorer line has been discontinued, the days that they will work on any of them is numbered.

I'm not saying not to buy any of the others that you suggested. The OP has indicated that a $700 machine is in their price range, and that they are looking for an FBS machine. I'm sure that if an E-Trac came along in that price range it would be a done deal, but they could wait all summer and still not find one that cheap.

What's that supposed to mean??
I've got nothing else against the older models, and in fact considered getting a II because there were some great deals at the time. But since Minelab announced that they had quit servicing them, I decided to wait for the right deal to come along on one that they would still work on for at least a few more years. And now that the entire Explorer line has been discontinued, the days that they will work on any of them is numbered.

I'm not saying not to buy any of the others that you suggested. The OP has indicated that a $700 machine is in their price range, and that they are looking for an FBS machine. I'm sure that if an E-Trac came along in that price range it would be a done deal, but they could wait all summer and still not find one that cheap.

Having used all of the Explorer models and the Etrac, the Explorer II was my favorite and what I used until I got the CTX... I have owned 20-25 Minelab detectors over the last 10 years or so and have never had to have one repaired .. All of these units were purchased used except the CTX .... Most of the problems with well used Explorer XS & Explorer II is the keypad which is no longer made by Minelab.... I have avoiding any problems by buying less used machines and buying from known, honest, knowledgeable sellers that know if the unit is working properly..... If I ever did get one and it developed a problem , MSR now makes a replacement keypad and offers repair services on units that Minelab no longer services.... If I didnt have a CTX Id get another Explorer II.... The eggonomics and weight of the FBS units leaves a lot to be desired and is the reason I have the Tekenetics & Fisher machines as back up/loaner units.. The First texas machines with bp mode also have ability to search at great depth with the coil several inches above the ground which comes in handy at times & the weight and ergonomics are great

http://www.metaldetectorrepair.com/products-we-support/

wildherre

4443306298_ebff7d115c_b.jpg

8706214486_19d4a19ab2_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom