Why I chose the CTX over the DEUS

rluna

Elite Member
Well, Just like most of us, I never got into this hobby for the money. It's just a whole lot of fun....and
like many of you...I just LOVE detecting.

I have an Etrac and would like to move to either a CTX or a DEUS.

I love the Etrac .....it just makes hunting fun......and if the CTX makes it even more fun even if it's only by
a little bit then its worth the extra money for me.

Thats why even after looking hard into the possibility of getting the Deus I decided it was not the machine
for me.
I know the Deus can find a lot of stuff but I also know that you are digging a fair amount more trash.
Now I know that digging trash is a part of this hobby but I also know, and so do you that trash is not your end goal......Good finds are!

So even if I knew(hypothetically speaking)that the Deus could find me 15 silver coins a week
and the CTX could only find 9 per week I would still pick the CTX because I would be digging
a lot less trash to get those 9. And the accurate id on the CTX and Etrac just make it fun, fun, fun
to have a pretty good idea of what it might be a lot of the times.

Sure the Deus separates better in iron infested ground and there’s probably none better at it, but it's
not like the CTX cant separate also. And in the end (for me anyway) its how much enjoyment and
fun I get out of it and the CTX (and Etrac)....are just a lot of fun to use!

Rand

hey, the most important thing is that you're happy, and also that you're comfortable with your machine. personally, I would want the machine that's going to find me the most of what I'm looking for. I have found the deus to be very reliable as far as picking through the trash. once you learn the machine, and learn how to use the settings, trash becomes a non-issue for the most part. I'm sure some will disagree, and that's okay. I don't have any experience with the CTX. it might be a killer machine for all I know. but, like I said. the thing that makes you happy, is the thing you need to do. good luck!

hey, the most important thing is that you're happy, and also that you're comfortable with your machine.

So true Corpsman. Everyones brain is wired a little differently so I'm glad there are so many
different machines out there to satisfy everyones likings.

I think It's not so much trying to find the best detector out there as it is trying to find
the best detector that works for you :)

Rand

Sold my CTX last year and bought a Deus. Had it 2 months, sold the Deus and bought my CTX back. :laughing: It's a nice detector, just not for me either. And if you pick up the tiny 6" smart coil for your new CTX it's every bit as good if not better in the iron as the Deus as well, in my opinion atleast. To me both machines recover so fast in iron the difference wasn't that much. If I was going to own 2 machines though the Deus would be my second (besides the Excal). Deus is for sure much much lighter and easier on the back.

Had Ace 250 --> AT Pro --> E-trac --> Temporarily XP Deus --> CTX

The CTX will find deep silver the deus can't find, the deus can find silver in trash the stock coil CTX can't find, but slap a 6" coil on the CTX and it's pretty bulletproof in trash.

CTX is deeper, more accurate, and just the best land machine IMHO, haven't tested Whites and some others, but from my experience, the CTX is worth every penny.

I will say I really like my Deus but unlike a lot of you guys I came from a much lower end machine in the F5. I like the adjustability and ability to upgrade it shines in and around trash again coming from the F5. Dislikes include inaccurate VDI and depth meter. I would like to try the ETRAC and CTX one day so I Can compare then make a decision on what to stay with unfortunately I will not be affording another high end detector for while and no one I know runs either of the other machines so for no the Deus is my goto machine.

All very good detectors. IMO for the $$$$ and have what's needed to hunt all dry land sites for coins.

Used XS explorer---can be had for 400-500 dollars
Used Deus with 9" coil---can be had for 900 dollars
Used Makro Racer, leave the 5" OOR coil on it---can be had for 500 dollars

Total price tag = around $1900

You bust your sites with these 3 and hunt them properly----future pickings will be mighty slim!!!!!

And you always have a back up detector and a lighter detector to swing in the event you tire.

Sold the old etrac

Bought a new Etrac with warranty, the extra weight land hunting , you can have it for a few extra bells, mega coil selection with the etrac, parts , labor, not even close to the CTX, Etrac, V3i, F75se, are my top picks, happy hunting, Earl

Just remember Explorer XS coil for coil is slightly deeper than Etrac.

Actually Explorer XS deeper than CTX while CTX is in ferrous coin---max depth for CTX= ground coin----less filtering.

This extra filtering while in ferrous coin is why the ferrous number is more accurate/consistent while using CTX.

These have been my experiences while hunting on 3 and 4 bar indicated ground as displayed on Fisher F75LTD/F75LTD2.

I do dig more trash than my CTX hunting buddy but he insists on the 17" coil so I find coins in trash he misses. I like the weight, goes in a backpack, smaller headphones. And I got the Deus for half of retail.

I do want to try his for a hunt.

OP it sounds like you are a really FUN GUY (Fungi):lol::laughing:
I hope it works out for you, I have heard that going from the Etrac to the CTX is a very natural progression.
The only question is, is it worth 3 times as much money?
There is just no possible way for me to justify spending close to $3000 on a detector, and I hunt 3-4 times per week.
Keeping my eye out for a used Deus.
Happy Hunting

The only question is, is it worth 3 times as much money?
Happy Hunting

Well, I think I answered that question already :) If your buying it to make money or to sell it later for
a profit, then no! But if your buying it because you enjoy the hobby and you think you will get a lot
of enjoyment out of using this particular machine, then yes!

There is just no possible way for me to justify spending close to $3000 on a detector, and I hunt 3-4 times per week.
Keeping my eye out for a used Deus.
Happy Hunting

I justify the cost the same way I justify it with all my hobbies. If I think that it is something I really would
enjoy trying or having and I can afford it, then I get it. If I cant afford it, then I either don’t buy it or I save
up for it if I really really want it, and then buy it :)

Matmit, you could also try doing what I do.....the CTX is $2500 so.... if you can say it's close to spending
$3000 then it's just as fair to say it's close to spending $2000.
Sooo...if you say to yourself, "I'm buying a machine that is close to $2000 dollars, you just saved yourself
$500 bucks :gettinmoney: :rofl:

Glad u found the machine for you. I have both the etrac and deus. Deus makes my hunts more enjoyable due to weight and wireless. I am happy with what I have. The better you know whatever machine you have the better you will do on your finds. HH

I went with a used CTX. Takes a little bit of the sticker shock out of the equation. Did the same with the AT Pro.

Having fun learning the language of the CTX. That's part of what keeps it interesting is learning a new piece of gear.

I went with a used CTX. Takes a little bit of the sticker shock out of the equation. Did the same with the AT Pro.

Weren't you worried about buying a used CTX as they have been known to have issues. From what I
have read, issues seem to plague the CTX much more than the Etrac.

RL

Back
Top Bottom