Pinpointers

A couple months ago, someone posted that they had found two "Bullseye" pinpointers at the same cellar hole. He figured a couple people lost them at that same spot. I am guessing they were thrown away on purpose. Maybe some are good, but I had my first one a month before the button started going south. Fortuneatly I lost it checking out a fort location. I bought a new one, it was better then the old one by a month. It only works if I jam something under the battery hole lid. :mad: It will get a deliberate heave -ho when my inline shows up. Bottom line, do your homework and make sure your buying something good..............Gil

Tony is right. The vibraprobe gets my vote. Just make sure you store it in a good upright position so it will not cycle on and off. You could take the battery out each time but those snap-on battery connectors can tear up pretty easy if you're not careful...........Later......Al (actually lying perfectly flat will do if it doesn't roll away)

Do you honestly need a pinpointer if you have a DFX or Explorer SE? Or does it just make for a little extra weight and conversation peice to carry around. When i detected years ago I never used one.

Just got a Bullseye II and I think it is the cats meow. I like the Vibra Probe specs but it seemed it was heavier. Still may get one one day. My problem was I could dig the item up, but had a time finding it in the dirt. I am thrilled I got a pinpointer now that I own one. My X-70 will pinpoint very, very close. I can tell you exactly where the target is at and dig it. The pinpointer speeds up recovery for me.

Bob if you havent used anything but the pinpoint on the DFX beleave me when i say you are wasting time. You can pass a lot of dirt across the coil while im digging those targets you didnt have time to get to. They really are a time saver. Ive been using the little wizzard II from harbor freight $10 great for the beach a little wide for small hole digging so i ordered a Vibra 560 from tony.

dewcon said:
Bob if you havent used anything but the pinpoint on the DFX beleave me when i say you are wasting time. You can pass a lot of dirt across the coil while im digging those targets you didnt have time to get to. They really are a time saver. Ive been using the little wizzard II from harbor freight $10 great for the beach a little wide for small hole digging so i ordered a Vibra 560 from tony.

I still think its a waste of money especially since 25 years ago when I use to detect back then all we had was a big thin screw driver and our bare hands. It makes you feel better if you get your hands a little dirty searching for coins etc. Also $100 is a little on the expensive side especially for someone that is just starting out and not sure if they will enjoy the hobby. Especially since most people that start out with an Ace250 that a pinpointer is half the price of the Ace at which point they might have been able to get a detector a little better. What kind of distance does a pinpointer have to be away from the item 1 inch???

Most people decide on a pinpointer as an accessory AFTER they have detected for a while. I got my Bullseye II 2 years ago, and haven't had a problem yet. Range is about an inch on the average. I have a Sun Ray X-1 in-line that I use 90 % of the time, and it has a range of 3"+. Sometimes it is a little too powerful, but it makes up for pinpointing & ID'ing very accurately before I dig targets 4" or less. In either case, they save A LOT of TIME !!!!

Just to throw my two cents worth into the fray, since I began using a pinpointer (Treasure Mate by Tesoro), my recovery rate in the long run has probably been cut in half. That means I can dig twice the number of targets in the same amount of time. Is that worth $100? I sure think so. A good pinpointer is like Master Card -- don't leave home without it!

Harley-Dog

You dont have to spend a ment on a pinpointer to start out. I was using a little wizzard II from harbor freight. Wood workers use them to find nails in old lumber. Its sensitive to about 2" or so. The cost is only about $15 and is great for sandy areas. They arent water proof and not made for abuse, but hey for $15 its good to start with. I now have a vibra probe.

dewcon said:
You dont have to spend a ment on a pinpointer to start out. I was using a little wizzard II from harbor freight. Wood workers use them to find nails in old lumber. Its sensitive to about 2" or so. The cost is only about $15 and is great for sandy areas. They arent water proof and not made for abuse, but hey for $15 its good to start with. I now have a vibra probe.

Your certainly right there mate. :yes: The the guy in the earlier post that said that you spend

less time digging, partly true. Only if you have the targets in the first place.

For someone who is just starting out I would say SAVE YOUR MONEY & DONT BUY ONE.

How are you going to get to know your machine by useing a pinpointer. :yes:

I very rarely use my homemade one ( cost about $2 )

From the sounds of these bought ones bullseye etc 1inch range!! My homemade one (black &

decker!! ) is tuneable from touching the object right up to 2 plus inches.And thats with a coin!!

The bullseyes etc are not waterproof, I dont think any are.

So if you do really need one go out & buy yourself a cheap wizzard or make/modify one.

I have heard nothing but bad news about these bullseyes etc and think that they are an over

priced " extra "that one can do without.

Have made ALL my recent finds WITHOUT the " help " of one.There on here, and a lot where

real small objects, but with patience,pinpointing-WITH YOUR MACHINE!! and a keen eye you will

find them.

Chop England

Hi Booker. Sure you will agree I had good week last week ( not been out this :( )

All without a probe,although I had it with me. They just seem not needed.

Yes you are my hero :lol: Really you had a great week. If I did half as good I be a happy camper

Been some interesting finds on here of late. currently in the process of revamping my "builders trowel" into a multi-purpose digger, with a little help from " Graham the grinder ". Cant buy lesches in England.. I do like the look of them and only £20.

Chop

Main reason I got a pinpointer is because my eyesight is not the best. Went a long time before I got my vibraprobe. Yes- 100 bucks is a little stift...............but it was worth it. Would consider getting a sunray attachment for my GTI 1500 if not for two things......price and the weight it would add to an already hefty detector.
Later...........Al

bloodyknees said:
Main reason I got a pinpointer is because my eyesight is not the best. Went a long time before I got my vibraprobe. Yes- 100 bucks is a little stift...............but it was worth it. Would consider getting a sunray attachment for my GTI 1500 if not for two things......price and the weight it would add to an already hefty detector.
Later...........Al

If your eyesights not the best then a probe is going to help. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom