what detector to choose?

Baloone

I just started looking for a hobby detector, and was wondering what the people on this site think about the Seben allround detector?

I study archaeology and would like a hobby detector that is not to expensive but that still will let me have some fun, archaeologically speaking :)

I would stick to the better-known brands if I were you (Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro...) Good luck in whatever you choose. :yes:

thanks for all responses! :) what about "Treasure Hunter"? Is that worth buying ?

thanks for all responses! :) what about "Treasure Hunter"? Is that worth buying ?

No.
More Chinese products.
The quality control on these are so hit and miss, usually miss, that most are very unhappy with the way they work.

Did you notice Stewart73's post above?

"I would stick to the better-known brands if I were you (Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro...)"

I would read that over and over till you understand it and take that advice.
You can find quality products like a Compadre from $160 and others on up from these brands that actually work with real warranties.
Also some Bounty Hunters even in the under $200 price range have been used by many members and work better than a lot of the Chinese stuff.

as said above, you better stick with well-known brands to avoid bad surprises

take a look at some revs for you to have a better idea, Digger's posted link is very useful

I take all post into condsideration and I am very thankfull for them :) Im just narrowing my posebillities:) Im now thinking of a Fisher F2 hobby detector, is that a good detecor?

Depends on what you are hoping to find as far as which machine to suggest. The F2 is a killer detector for finding coins, especially if you get the package that includes the 5 inch sniper coil. I have the F2 and have found coins, jewelry, civil war artifacts and other relics. Even dug up a few water mains. :laughing: The downside is its not waterproof & it only detects really well down to about 7 inches maybe 10 depending on your soil. They just came out with a larger DD coil for the F2 that will reach farther.

No.
More Chinese products.
The quality control on these are so hit and miss, usually miss, that most are very unhappy with the way they work.

Did you notice Stewart73's post above?

"I would stick to the better-known brands if I were you (Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro...)"

I would read that over and over till you understand it and take that advice.
You can find quality products like a Compadre from $160 and others on up from these brands that actually work with real warranties.
Also some Bounty Hunters even in the under $200 price range have been used by many members and work better than a lot of the Chinese stuff.

hey Digger, are you slightly upset:?: :roll: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

don't get me wrong... I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH YOU:yes: about, and I quote, "Did you notice Stewart73's post above?"

By no means am I saying that my ACE250 is "top of the line", but I will say that it is NOT THAT cheap!!! I've personally seen REALLY LOW END detectors and it just makes a bad eye sore to look at or even pick one up. I mean, if that is ALL you can afford then so be it, but MAANNN if you can squeeze out just A LITTLE MORE MONEY then get the Compadre (even though I don't have one, but KNOW VERY MUCH SO that it gets VERY GOOD REVIEWS BY MANY FORUM MEMBERS) or if you want a VDI machine then just squeeze out $40 more and you get the Garrett ACE250 or the Fisher F2 (either one... whatever floats the boat and gets the raft moving). Just :my2cents:

again, don't get me wrong, I agree with your statement... I just find it somewhat humorous on how you replied to it... it's like watching a "brat child" deserving to get "spanked" by their parents :laughing::laughing::laughing:

HH \_ to you Digger... LOVE reading your posts!!!

poll...

this was a poll that was taken sometime back and it shows what members have started out with, recommend, OR STILL USE as a "back-up" MD'r unit if their "main MD'r" is down for repairs. Hope this helps. ALSO, as you will notice, SOME PEOPLE don't like the Garrett ACE series, but hey... that is their opinion. You're the one to finally make the decision on whether to wipe your a-- or NOT, correct? So don't let ME or someone else make YOUR decision. Do your research on the different types, ask questions, call a sponsor, and then throw down the cash!!!

One question, do you WANT a beeper only machine or one with a VDI (Visual Display Indicator)? You MAY want a VDI, buy it, then be disappointed in your purchase!!! Again, do your research and think about what YOU want!!! Honestly, it doesn't sound to me that you ARE taking "all post into condsideration..." if you are ignoring a post like Stewart73 just posted and Digger27 just stated. Just an observation there with how you replied. NOT trying to be mean/angry/HOWEVER you see this reply... just say'n that it is an observation that I am taking here with your constant questioning :shrug:

hope the poll sorta helps and HH \_

hey Digger, are you slightly upset:?: :roll: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

don't get me wrong... I VERY MUCH AGREE WITH YOU:yes: about, and I quote, "Did you notice Stewart73's post above?"

By no means am I saying that my ACE250 is "top of the line", but I will say that it is NOT THAT cheap!!! I've personally seen REALLY LOW END detectors and it just makes a bad eye sore to look at or even pick one up. I mean, if that is ALL you can afford then so be it, but MAANNN if you can squeeze out just A LITTLE MORE MONEY then get the Compadre (even though I don't have one, but KNOW VERY MUCH SO that it gets VERY GOOD REVIEWS BY MANY FORUM MEMBERS) or if you want a VDI machine then just squeeze out $40 more and you get the Garrett ACE250 or the Fisher F2 (either one... whatever floats the boat and gets the raft moving). Just :my2cents:

again, don't get me wrong, I agree with your statement... I just find it somewhat humorous on how you replied to it... it's like watching a "brat child" deserving to get "spanked" by their parents :laughing::laughing::laughing:

HH \_ to you Digger... LOVE reading your posts!!!

I have seen posts like this before.
Ask a question...gets good answers.
Ignores advice...asks another silly question...and so on.
Just trying to cut it off before it gets out of control.

He asked about the F2 so now all is right with the world again.

The F2 is an incredible MD for the price. Decent depth, fast target recovery, tones, screen, built in pin pointer, usually a free sniper coil, and a free hand held pin pointer (ok, not the best pin pointer, but not a bad one either)

With my F2 I out hunted my 2 friends with Ace 250s on a woods relic hunt & with the hockey puck coil no less. :laughing: Just sayin...

and "I" understand that hbd. I hear MANY good things about the F2 and ALMOST pulled the trigger to get one, but instead decided to get something else. THINKING about getting the F4, but don't know yet??? I just bought a new MD'r and have to let the funds "pick back up":roll: Anyways, I'm VERY happy nonetheless with my ACE250. Whatever makes you happy is, for the most part, my motto... but the OP's questions are a bit... NOT to sound like I am some rich snob or something, but CHEAP!!! I UNDERSTAND if that is all you can afford then that's it... but just keep saving little by little and just get that LITTLE bit more expensive machine. HELL, I ALMOST bought a Bounty Hunter QuickSilver for my first detector and I GUARANTEE you that I would have STILL been happy with it. I also understand that it sounds like I'm contradicting myself and YES, I probably am. But I can't stress it enough... just SAVE a little more and GET that slightly more expensive machine... WHETHER it is a Fisher F2, Compadre, or Garrett ACE250... the WHOLE POINT BEING, like Digger and Stewart state, "stick with the more named brand MD'rs"!!! THAT is what I am getting at and I HIGHLY AGREE with their statements.

HH \_

The F2 is an incredible MD for the price. Decent depth, fast target recovery, tones, screen, built in pin pointer, usually a free sniper coil, and a free hand held pin pointer (ok, not the best pin pointer, but not a bad one either)

AND ANOTHER GOOD POST HERE!!! A free hand held pin pointer... which seems to be usually the case when buying the package deal.

to the OP, LISTEN to these guys WELL!!! I do NOT have a Fisher F2, but hear MANY GREAT things about them on the forum.

HH \_

I Think I will go for the Fisher F2, its not that expensive and it seems that some of you people like it very much. As a student with a small income I think this is the best choice! Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it :) Hopefully I will find some archeological artefacts!

Back
Top Bottom