The start of my HF Cen-Tech hack..I mean mod

I was thinking of using CAT5 to extend the wand. (Have a spindle of it here in my office.) How long would be too long?

Well, that would be up to your personal preference. I was meaning those I'd posted would be too long for me. Since it will mount to the detectors shaft, and my detector is seldom far from the hole, I figured 24-30" would be plenty for me (and probably closer to the 24").

However, if you plan to belt/pouch carry it, you'd likely need more length.

Well, that would be up to your personal preference. I was meaning those I'd posted would be too long for me. Since it will mount to the detectors shaft, and my detector is seldom far from the hole, I figured 24-30" would be plenty for me (and probably closer to the 24").

However, if you plan to belt/pouch carry it, you'd likely need more length.

Ok, I thought it was a prefence but had to make sure.

You guys are crazy with modding the pin pointer. If I knew anything at all about electronics I would try some of these mods myself. I just don't trust myself to not completely break it. Hahaha. I have the Same pin pointer and liked it at first but now it's a pain in my arse and can't stand it.
I liked mine for a few hours, but now I've come to realize that Harbor Freight=POOP. Uncooked poop, at that. I have to blow into the button to get it to work at all, and I'm lucky if that works once out of 10 attempts. Steer clear of Harbor Freight and their Chinese garbage.:mad:

I liked mine for a few hours, but now I've come to realize that Harbor Freight=POOP. Uncooked poop, at that. I have to blow into the button to get it to work at all, and I'm lucky if that works once out of 10 attempts. Steer clear of Harbor Freight and their Chinese garbage.:mad:

That's not very friendly. The Harbor Freight pinpointer, was actually intended as more of a stud finder. Just lucky that for $16, people can get a decent pinpointer to help while detecting. What do you really expect, for $16 these days? Yeah, it's cheaply built, and the price reflects that, but it's simple to improve, even with minimal tools and skills. Not a huge loss, if you break it, or leave it behind on a hunt, or totally mess one up modifying it. Really a decent, fun little tool to mess with. You can always buy a $237.50 Garrett ProPointer, and be happy that they will pretty much keep it working for life, just the cost of shipping it back to them for repairs, which is about the same as buying a Harbor Freight...

I was thinking of using CAT5 to extend the wand. (Have a spindle of it here in my office.) How long would be too long?

You are extending an antenna - Cat5 cable is not the way to go - Coax is!

The loss and the interference on the cat5 cable is just too high.

Before you are moding your antenna, you need to know the frequency, the signal strength and I think that a HAM radio forum would be the place to ask for the specs on the cable type etc.

Fun project - tell us how it works out!

GL on the project

/Steffen

You are extending an antenna - Cat5 cable is not the way to go - Coax is!

The loss and the interference on the cat5 cable is just too high.

Before you are moding your antenna, you need to know the frequency, the signal strength and I think that a HAM radio forum would be the place to ask for the specs on the cable type etc.

Fun project - tell us how it works out!

GL on the project

/Steffen
I have to tend to agree. BNC would be best and at the least Shielded twisted pair.

Back
Top Bottom