Advice on reinforcing my sand scoop.

planerie

Elite Member
I bought a fairly cheap sand scoop last year for a trip to Florida but now that I have a water machine I would like to extend the shaft and reinforce it. Unfortunately I don't have the $$ to buy a nice one so its time to improvise. :laughing: I would love to year you guys ideas on how I could do so with this scoop below.

Unfortunately, I think the closest to the water you'll get with your scoop is the wet sand. I've got a similar one that I use in dry sand.

After using my Sunspot 720i it's obvious that a water scoop needs to be massively strong.

Idea #1

If there are holes in the back, then I'd see about taking off the existing handle and using some u-bolts to bolt a wood handle on the back. You can buy all the supplies at the hardware store for $10-$15. Rake and shovel handles would work, but also try looking at the wooden mop handles in the cleaning section of Lowe's or Home Depot. They make a hardwood version for about $6 that's more robust than a rake handle.

If you are going to hunt wet sand then just get a small shovel. That scoop will work in dry sand only. The problem is the thin metal the scoop is made of. Nothing will fix that.

buy a scoop meant for water hunting that thing is not going to cut it.
x2, x3, x4!
You're just going to end up breaking a nice little dry sand scoop.

I have one just like that and it bends when I look at it too hard. If you add a longer handle the extra leverage will just tear that thing apart. Let it stay as it is and save up for a better scoop.

I would use that scoop in the dry sand and if you take smaller bites you can get away with it the wet sand. I had a scoop some what like it.

I started off in this hobby with a borrowed machine... Saved my finds until I had enough to buy my own machine an Ace 350. Kept at it and saved my finds and got a Sand Shark. I used my. Cheap dry sand scoop in the wet sand until I made enough finds to buy a good water scoop got a Howie scoop used from a friend for $100. Now I am saving up for an Excalibur. Depending on you area and how much you hunt it should not take to long. I was able to do it in less then a year.

HH

Yeah, you wont have much luck turning that into a water scoop. I've tried. Save you money and pick up a water scoop. Sometimes you can get them here on the classifieds at a decent price.

You could just slide it in to a stavr and you'd be all set...
I went the same route when i started, bought cheap, bought several and spent more $ overall that i would have just buying good right out of the gate...

planerie.
"cheap fish - thin soup ...."(c)
orig "дешева риба - худа юшка..." (c) old Ukrainian proverb
;)

Water hunting is more Expensive than Land period

Gotta love these guy's wanting to water hunt , knowing the hobby requires a minimum tool requirement, it is not a cheap hobby, by far, if the money is not around, come back and try again when you have the money for investment, that scoop will only be good in dry sand, your cheapest way out is a RTG 6x11 with a ss lip & grab handle , later http://www.rtgstore.com/scoops/sstipbig.jpg

Gotta love these guy's wanting to water hunt , knowing the hobby requires a minimum tool requirement, it is not a cheap hobby, by far, if the money is not around, come back and try again when you have the money for investment, that scoop will only be good in dry sand, your cheapest way out is a RTG 6x11 with a ss lip & grab handle , later http://www.rtgstore.com/scoops/sstipbig.jpg

First off yes you gotta love "US GUYS" and yes metal detecting is not a cheap hobby this I know. I used this scoop on 2 or 3 trips to the beach and it did work in the wet sand just fine I just had to take it a little easy and slow as to not put too much pressure on it. I will use this scoop until it either breaks or I get enough finds to pay for a BIG BOY scoop. I was just asking if anyone had any ideas on how to extend the handle and do a little to it to make it stronger.

First off yes you gotta love "US GUYS" and yes metal detecting is not a cheap hobby this I know. I used this scoop on 2 or 3 trips to the beach and it did work in the wet sand just fine I just had to take it a little easy and slow as to not put too much pressure on it. I will use this scoop until it either breaks or I get enough finds to pay for a BIG BOY scoop. I was just asking if anyone had any ideas on how to extend the handle and do a little to it to make it stronger.

Its not going to work in the water... you may dig a couple of targets but you are stressing the scoop past what it was meant for (fluff sand) another thing we use big scoops because the holes we dig in the water fill in very fast and that scoop you want to convert or strengthen isn't going to work... We give good sound advice here.

Its not going to work in the water... you may dig a couple of targets but you are stressing the scoop past what it was meant for (fluff sand) another thing we use big scoops because the holes we dig in the water fill in very fast and that scoop you want to convert or strengthen isn't going to work... We give good sound advice here.

Absolutely. No one's trying to bust your chops. if I could get the money, Time and effort back that I wasted on my sand scoop, I could have bought a Stavr ! From personal experience, I can tell you, you will get very frustrated. good luck with whatever you decide to do and HH !

You might do what Chuck did.... put a larger handle thru the top then use 2 U bolts to hold it in place. That puts most of the pressure in the back and if you baby it it might work for awhile. Best take small bites....or bring a snorkel and mask, because you are going to have to fan for targets. We tear the heck out of our MAN scoops so we know how strong they better be.

Dew

Find out inner diameter of your scoop. You could use a wood pole, carbon fiber pole, or aluminum. Insert, drill...you know the deal. As far as the bucket of that scoop being able to handle much more weight, I doubt it. Might wanna save...cough couch hide $$$... and just get a good one an lie and said you got it at a yardsale for 15 bucks. lol. hh an gl -Joe

I bought a fairly cheap sand scoop last year for a trip to Florida but now that I have a water machine I would like to extend the shaft and reinforce it. Unfortunately I don't have the $$ to buy a nice one so its time to improvise. :laughing: I would love to year you guys ideas on how I could do so with this scoop below.

I dont know of reasonable way to improve that scoop , but you may get by using it for a little while if you just "scrape" the surface with it , slowly working your way to the target in shallow water. But stomping it into the sand and digging with it will most likely rip it apart as others have said. I know what its like not being able to afford a decent scoop , luckily I had an extra detector after upgrading so I sold the old one to pay for a scoop. But you have to use what you got and its better than nothing. If nothing else you will end up learning why everyone says get a different scoop. Another less expensive option is to buy a section of 5 or 6 inch steel pipe at the auto parts store and make one yourself......it will be ugly and rust but it will be strong enough for the task. If you can cut drill and weld it , or know someone who can. I was going to do that myself after seeing the ones another member on here made and uses , until I came up with the idea to sell my extra detector. I think its around $20 for a 1 ft. section of pipe , plus whatever the cost of a piece of metal plate to weld on the back , a couple U bolts , a good handle and labor if you pay someone to do it. Most of this could be free if you know the right person or have access to steel scrap.

Back
Top Bottom