Bottles and relics from the wild west..(pic heavy)

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
OK, old homesteads arent wild, but a look back at history is amazing. I went to a friends ranch this last week to see what other coins and relics I could find there. He told me of some other homesteads that I hadnt seen before (The closest one was where I found the 1884 Morgan silver dollar), so we loaded up the 4 wheelers and took off. The first place consisted of several dug-outs in a small valley. The sandstone foundations were still there but the wood and sod roofs were long gone. I asked him if there were any bottle dumps around. He told me there was one along the way to the next place, so we took off towards that area. He showed me the bottle dump, and then we went down to look at the 2nd homestead.

1024171203-00.jpg

Its amazing to see such a thing and think about the luxury that we live today. A small house like this that would support a family out in the middle of nowhere is almost unimaginable. He needed to salt the cattle, and told me he'd catch up later. I wanted to spend as much time detecting, so I scratched this site, and decided to hit the bottle dump, then the dugouts, and back to the big homestead where I found the Morgan. I picked up 5 of the best bottles (no room for more) and headed for the dugouts.

101_5676.jpg

The bottle in the middle says Jurgens lotion on the bottom. I think the one on the right is an inkwell, while the one on the left is a salt shaker. Not too sure about the other two. Ages and identities are clueless to me, so if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I went over to where I thought the dugouts were, but I couldnt find them. :?: The wind was blowing very strong which pretty much erased our previous tracks, and the ranch is HUGE with many small valleys in this area. I looked for awhile but no dice :mad:. I would have at least wanted to get some pics! So I decided to head back to the large homestead, and spend the rest of the day hunting there.

1107141458-00.jpg 1107141506-00.jpg

There are about 7 outbuildings to this place.

101_5682.jpg

I didnt find any coins, but I did find some interesting relics along with a double bladed axe head.

101_5683.jpg

Closeup of the Marinello cap. I think it might be a vintage beauty cream cap from the 1920s

101_5691.jpg

101_5695.jpg

Closeup of the BGI 12 ga. shotgun reloader PAT 1890 that I found next to the log cabin. Too bad it was crushed!

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Last edited:
OK, old homesteads arent wild, but a look back at history is amazing. I went to a friends ranch this last week to see what other coins and relics I could find there. He told me of some other homesteads that I hadnt seen before (The closest one was where I found the 1884 Morgan silver dollar), so we loaded up the 4 wheelers and took off. The first place consisted of several dug-outs in a small valley. The sandstone foundations were still there but the wood and sod roofs were long gone. I asked him if there were any bottle dumps around. He told me there was one along the way to the next place, so we took off towards that area. He showed me the bottle dump, and then we went down to look at the 2nd homestead.

View attachment 398296

Its amazing to see such a thing and think about the luxury that we live today. A small house like this that would support a family out in the middle of nowhere is almost unimaginable. He needed to salt the cattle, and told me he'd catch up later. I wanted to spend as much time detecting, so I scratched this site, and decided to hit the bottle dump, then the dugouts, and back to the big homestead where I found the Morgan. I picked up 5 of the best bottles (no room for more) and headed for the dugouts.

View attachment 398299

The bottle in the middle says Jurgens lotion on the bottom. I think the one on the right is an inkwell, while the one on the left is a salt shaker. Not too sure about the other too. Ages and identities are clueless to me, so if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I went over to where I thought the dugouts were, but I couldnt find them. :?: The wind was blowing very strong which pretty much erased our previous tracks, and the ranch is HUGE with many small valleys in this area. I looked for awhile but no dice :mad:. I would have at least wanted to get some pics! So I decided to head back to the large homestead, and spend the rest of the day hunting there.

View attachment 398297 View attachment 398298

There are about 7 outbuildings to this place.

View attachment 398300

I didnt find any coins, but I did find some interesting relics along with a double bladed axe head.

View attachment 398301

Closeup of the Marinello cap. I think it might be a vintage beauty cream cap from the 1920s

View attachment 398302

View attachment 398303

Closeup of the BGI 12 ga. shotgun reloader PAT 1890 that I found next to the log cabin. Too bad it was crushed!

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Great post! And awesome sites! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the "in-situ" pix of the field ruins (chimney, wall fragments, etc...) . Great post !

That is an amazing day in my opinion. Just to be there and imagine the hayday 100 years ago. Great finds that help tell the story of life back there.

Love the historical sights. Great finds, and thanks for sharing the pics! :grin:

Great post! And awesome sites! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

Love the scenery. At night that place must be pitch black & you had to worry about Indians.

Thank you, and its still pitch black at night.

Now this is what (in my opinion) detecting is all about.

Thank you for all the wonderful pics of your sites and finds.

Thanks, and I was able to locate the dugouts on satellite. Cant wait to go back.

I love the "in-situ" pix of the field ruins (chimney, wall fragments, etc...) . Great post !

Thanks, I THINK I found the dump to that place looking at satellite images.

Very nice finds and excellent photos and write-up. Congrats.

Thank you.

That is an amazing day in my opinion. Just to be there and imagine the hayday 100 years ago. Great finds that help tell the story of life back there.

Thank you. It is amazing.

walked back into history . what a treat

Thank you, and yes it is!

Love the historical sights. Great finds, and thanks for sharing the pics! :grin:

Thank you. You can also see 3 mountain ranges from here.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.

What an adventure! Waaaay out in the middle of Nowhere again! Thanks for the pics and the write up and congratulations on the finds and the hunt!

Nice hunting !! I've got an identical bottle as the tapered one from a homestead hunt too. Probably foo foo juice or something !! The shot dipper is a great piece of history !!

What an adventure! Waaaay out in the middle of Nowhere again! Thanks for the pics and the write up and congratulations on the finds and the hunt!

Thanks Mud

Nice hunting !! I've got an identical bottle as the tapered one from a homestead hunt too. Probably foo foo juice or something !! The shot dipper is a great piece of history !!

Thanks Brian. At first I thought it was a lab beaker, but I think youre right. Im sure you have probably flown over this place.

awesome stuff there!

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom