Total n00b

zen

I am looking to get into metal detecting but know nothing about it. I am preparing to buy my first detector and am totally confused by the choices.

I have a farm in North Texas just a couple miles north of McKinney. On my property there is a barn (which is still in use for our horses) that was built around 1850. I know there are at least 2 foundations (buried) which belonged to the original farm house and the original (pre-1850) barn. But apart from the main house and the ca 1910 cottage the rest of our acreage is 100% accessible. It's flat with a few trees and a heavy clay soil.

I am looking for something which will be useful but simple enough to not confuse a neophyte.

What detectors would y'all recommend and what functions should I look for? The original structures were destroyed by fire so it's likely that there are troves of pre-1900 household goods.

HELP! :?:

Welcome! Short and to the point....since you're new, start with simplicity and dependability.

Tesoro Compadre $160, Lifetime Warranty

You wouldn't be disappointed.

Use it, familiarize yourself with all there is to the hobby, and if you still have an interest/desire to detect, look at an upgrade. That should be 6 months ot a year down the road. The Compadre will keep you occupied in the meanwhile.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby from Ohio! The sponsors are here to help you with any questions you have and they will offer you a deal too. Good luck in your choice.

First MD

Welcome from Lake Dallas Texas. Contact Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. www.bigboyshobbies.net, He will ask you about things he needs to know to recommend the best detector for your needs. Phone 405-206-9010 Bart. (let him know you are a member of this forum) If you listed a price range or if you wanted a sound only MD or a display type MD I missed it. There are many different decent MDs out there, you can spend a lot of time researching MDs and still just end up confused, or you can Talk to a sponsor like Bart that will help you and give you a great price. People that own Garretts will recommend Garretts, People that own Tesoro's will recommend Tesoro's, same with Minelabs, Fishers, Whites, and any other Brand. It sounds like you have some really good search sites...... Good Luck and Happy Hunting.....:biker::digginahole::biker:

welcome from Erie PA

Tesoro Compadre will be your best bet for simplicity

and don't just call one sponsor - they will sell you on the brand of detector that they sell

it would be like asking a Ford dealer which is the best car to buy - obviously they will say Ford

I bought a Tesoro which should arrive at my office on Friday. I'm looking forward to walking in my pastures with my family. Every review I read gave the Tesoro 5 stars. I figure if really like it I'll pass it to my little girl and get something more elaborate once I am familiar with the process and know a bit more. Can't beat it for under $200. Thanks for the help. I'll post pix if I find anything interesting.

Back
Top Bottom