Advice on buying a different ACE 250 Coil

threefingerdave

howdy.
I am pretty new to MD but read the forum every day.
This is a great site!
I have an ACE 250 with the stock coil.
Wifey says i can get a different coil for my bday!
i think i would like to get a DD coil but would appreciate any advice.
I have found 1 wheaty and 1 1940 nickel plus a lot of clad.
i keep thinking if i go deeper i will find a silver.
I looked at the large 10x14 elliptical DD coil that one of the online sponsors has for sale for 99.00.
is it a good choice? i like to hunt mostly pretty flat areas.
also i do have the sniper coil but only used it once as i haven't been in a really trashy place yet.
again i appreciate any advice and apologize if this subject has been posted before
Thanks
and happy huntin

Going deeper with the ace 250 isnt always the best choice since you will also cover more ground with the larger coil and end up with more trouble identifying targets because they are close to each other , and even more trouble pinpointing. Since most of the silver should be well within the reach of the stock coil , you would do better to get the small sniper coil which gets nearly the same depth but seperates targets much better and pinpoints like a dream. It also transforms the 250 into an ideal playground and fenceline hunting machine since you can usually get right up close without getting the steel from the equiptment. The single best upgrade for the 250 or even 150 is the sniper coil.

OhioChris,
Thank you for your reply!
I do have the Sniper coil and will give it an honest try
Sincerly
Dave

OOOPS!... I missed where you said you already had the sniper coil. Now I went back and seen it. Well you have the two best coils for the 250 , if you decide to get the double D coil you will have atleast one more option to try. The areas where you can use them effectively may be limited because of high amount of trash or whatever but it wouldnt hurt to try.

My Bounty Huntery 505 has 3 coils, 4", standard 8" and large 10". I really like the 4" coil for its physical size and because I can almost dig without pinpointing some times. Its great in bumpy areas and just easier and lighter to use all the time. Its my all purpose coil. I bring all 3 coils with me and change them according to my quick picks accordingly. My 2nd choice is the standard choice and works well too. I have found the larger 10" bit difficult to learn. I know the 10 inch coil with search to China for iron in the all metal mode and I think its not as good as "seeing" smaller items....I think....I know you will enjoy having 3 coils, its like having 3 MD's and they are all different!

OhioChris and Gorgar
Thanks for the replies.
After reading them i think i might use my birthday money for a Garret PINPOINTER
Thanks
again
Sincerly
Dave

The best upgrade to an Ace250 is....

...to sell it and get the Ace350 wich already has a DD coil on it.

And the sniper coil you already have, probably fits the Ace350.

Or

Upgrade to a mid-range model of detector like an Garret ATpro since you have been inoculated by the metal hunting bug ;)

It is preferable to upgrade the detector than adding accessories to a starter machine.

Ace 250

if i were you i would sell the ace 250 ,sounds like you are ready for an upgrade,well you can upgrade to a middle stage machine or go all the way to the top guns,F75 se or ltd ,Etrac,or V3i,? is why upgrade to the middle when you will find more & older at the top !:yes:

...to sell it and get the Ace350 wich already has a DD coil on it.

And the sniper coil you already have, probably fits the Ace350.

Or

Upgrade to a mid-range model of detector like an Garret ATpro since you have been inoculated by the metal hunting bug ;)

It is preferable to upgrade the detector than adding accessories to a starter machine.

Upgrading from a 250 to a 350 is probably not the best choice. There are improvements in the 350 but if upgrading from the 250 it just dont make sense to make what is almost a lateral move. :lol: I think the logical next step from either of the two is an AT pro or mid level detector from another brand.

Wow
Thankyou for the responses.
I have thought about upgrading to a different detector but i did determine that i will only do it when i find enough loot with the 250 to buy the new detector.
since i started this thread....with all of your great advice.
i have turned up my sensitivity and i do seem to be finding deeper targets.
still no silver coins but i did dig another silver ring..... makes 3 since the beginning of the year.
again i thank you all for your helpful coments.
Sincerly
Dave

The reason for the lateral move ;-)

@ohioChris
and
@threeFingerDave

I am beeing sensitive to ThreeFingerDaves' wallet.

Since he had $99 to add to his hobby, I figured that what he would get for his Ace250 + about $99 would pay for an Ace350

Just beeing sensitive to the OPs' wallet ;)

On that option, I fully agree : It is a lateral move and I hope that with further details, it now makes this option clearer and senseful

enjoy!

Bountyhunter
Thanks for your replies!
I looked pretty seriously at the 350 when i made my initial purchase.
I think that your point is valid as the 350 has the DD coil.
I think that i will just keep the 250 and use it until i get enough finds to move up to the AT Pro
I really like the 250 and am not complaining about its performance.
I have found around 20.00 in clad and 4 rings (3 silver) so its a great machine and will make an excellent backup machine. Just wondering why i havent found any silver coins.... but i have to keep reminding myself that they stopped producing them about 50 years ago.
After more reading and you guys comments i think i will not purchase a DD coil but will get out the Sniper and give a more honest go.
Again i thank you and everyone for your THOUGHTFULL input
Sincerly
Dave

Hey Dave, have you found any wheats yet? If all you're finding is clad, it could be your locations. Try old schools, parks, churches and houses. Once you start finding wheats you should find silver. PS I found many silver coins with my 250 and stock coil. Good luck and HH Tom

Scout23,
Thanks for the reply
I have found 1 wheat 1933 and a 1940 nickel
i am planning on hitting this area again this weekend as if there is a wheatie and an old nick there should be a silver waitin for me there to
Thanks
again
Dave

Back
Top Bottom