floating sieve

kernowdigger

Hey guys,
I live in the UK, and have been reading through your site with great interest....I felt I should post an idea that should be useful to some of you, especially if you ever do any searching in estuaries. I originally started searching estuaries without a metal detector, actually with quite goo success...but this device made my life a million times easier!!!...

All you need is a round metal garden sieve, and an inner tube for a bicycle tyre of the same diameter...I cant remember the sizes that I used, and I dont have any pics right now, cos Im writing this at college....but you guys will be able to get both of these items, and size them up together at a walmart or similar with absolutely no problems!!....

All you do is drill a hole in the metal wall of the sieve, anywhere around it (apart from where it is joined!!), but just make sure the hole is exactly half way up it....You literally just poke the inflator bit that has the dustcap on the end through the hole you have drilled - stretch the inner tube around the sieve, and then inflate it!! The inflated tube grips to the sieve, and hey presto...you have a floating sieve!!!...

All you do to use it is float the sieve next to you, shovel the silt with the item into the sieve, push the sieve up and down in the water a few times, and there you go!!...All the silt is washed up, and you are left with a few pebbles, and that 10 oz silver ingot, that you knew would be there!!! :shock:

oh, and also guys, anyone seen one of these before...foun on a cornish beach a few days ago...a mining token?...a fixing (its made of copper though??) cheers for now.

Welcome sounds like a good Idea-- That looks like some kind of plate but dang if I know :lol:

thanks for your reply....sorry..somehow the coin I put next to it for size reference has been chopped out!!...the item is about 2 inches one way, by 1.50 inches the other!! thanks!!

Hmmm, no idea what it is.

Your sifter idea is a great one.

What's an estuary? 8)

Back
Top Bottom