Wireless earphone problems solved!!!!

Kevenater

Ok, I'm new to this forum and I've read several posts concerning the aggrevation of being attached to your detector with a headphone wire. I just bought a Garrett ace250 a couple weeks ago and was using the cheap earphones that came with it. I saw immediately that they had to go!! On the forum I normally go to I was finding earphone jack relocation mods where people were moving the jack to the backend of the detector, underneath the arm cuff/stand. I was concidering this, right from the first time I used my new detector I knew I HAD to find a way to do away with the wire all together!!! After more searching on the forum and reading more posts on people wanting wireless earphones I finally ran across a possible fix. Another guy recommended some that he said worked great. Then another guy posted some pics of his mod of it. Me and him talked back and forth a little about his mod and I got the earphone model # and went and bought them. I did my mod just a little different than he did. I'll post some pics of it here. And copy and paste my somewhat of a walkthrough on it from the other forum. These earphones work PERFECTLY!!!! EXTREMELY LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE, they are also stereo, have a volume control, are VERY loud at full volume. I use them about 1/4 to 1/2 volume. Very clear and responsive, no delay AT ALL. The loop that normally goes over the top of your head actually goes around the back of your head with these and they have an earloop on each ear similar to the ones on the bluetooth earpieces for cellphones. with the band around the back of your head, IF for some reason they came off of your ears, while bending over digging etc. the band would catch on your head and keep them from hitting the dirt. The band is not adjustable, unless you have a HUGE head this is not a problem at all, the band has an inch or so clearance from touching my head(average size) I find this headband setup very comfortable since I ALWAYS wear a hat lol. It doesn't interfere with my hat, if I need to take it off and scratch my head or swat at an insect etc. The cost $60(more than worth it!!!) At Radio Shack, the model number is 33-1253. Several of us from the other forum found that many stores were sold out of them suddenly lol. You can order directly from Radio shack website but other day they were out of stock online. If you can't find them locally, when they are back in stock online they will ship them to your local radio shack free of charge. They are rechargeable. Run about 8 hours according to the package, although I have used them for about that long and still running strong. They have somekind of self adjusting frequency on them. they DO NOT use the fm radio thing where you have to tune into a station like many I have read of. They work on 2.4 GHz, the same as some cordless phones. The other guy said he tried his out in his office with cordless phones etc nearby and had no interference at all. The only mod you need is to adapt the male 1/8 jack on the earphone receiver to the 1/4 jack on the detector. I went to radio shack and bought a male1/4" jack and a 1/8" female jack, placed a 2 stand wire between them and soldered it and shrink tubed it. I"ll copy and post my post from the other forum which explains this in more detail. Hope this solves the frustrations on this subject. I will not be without this setup EVER!!! it is AWESOME! The headphones look very nice also. They come with a charging plug that splits into to plug, one for the earphones and one for the little receiver. When both are charged they led on the plug turns from orange to green. Takes only 4 hours to charge. They don't have independent volume controls. One little wheel on the bottom of the right ear changes the volume. the left ear has the sliding power switch which can be operated with a glove fairly easily if needed. I also have the receiver double sided sticky taped to the side of my ace250 head where I can turn my receiver on and off with my right thumb while holding the detector with right hand, can also see the power indicator led on the receiver. The receiver has a flip out jack, You can buy a straight through 1/8 female to 1/4 male adapter at wal mart and radio shack and best buy etc, but the receiver would flop around and probably get lost, I like mine mounted with the double sticky tape securely against the detector head, I did have to file down the side of the 1/4 male plug so that I could unplug it without removing the receiver from the detector head just in case of dead batteries while out hunting. Then I could hear the detectors speaker by just unplugging the receiver from the head. Hope this post isn't too lengthy lol. I just want to give all details possible, I hate when someone is not very clear and detailed about such things.

The post from the other forum...........

Well, I finally got my mod finished up today. Man is it AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that uses headphones must get a set of these things and mod that baby to fit like me and khouse have them. It's perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!Credit to khouse! spent most of the mid day running around radio shack gettin parts and dealing with one of their genuses trying to tell me how he'd do it and how hard its gonna be to make this work the way "I" want it.....:rage: I Finally got my parts and bought me a "decent" soldering iron to replace the 20 year old pistol type that I have with the huge tip on it lol. Anyway, after getting everything soldered together and working I tried it out and WOW sounds extreeeeeeemely good just like khouse said!!! These things are sooooooooo light and comfy, I detected about 3 hours and forgot I even had them on!!! It was sooooo much more enjoyable than dealing with that wire tangling around my arm and the detector and limbs... I could have stayed out all day if I'd got it finished earlier lol. This was supposed to be my bigggg day to go hit the ruins I found on the map. Didn't make it still. NEXT WEEKEND!! Hey Kenny, i used some "duck" brand(wal-mart) double sided tape to mount my receiver, it's clear and about 3/4" wide, I just put a strip the length of the white part of the receiver up top then one below it and cut it to slope with the lower contour of the detector head. Works perfectly, very secure and this stuff is no thicker than regular scotch tape! Anything(velcro) thicker and the receiver would have had problems fitting behind the 1/4" plug that plugs into the detector head. It sticks very well but shouldn't be hard to remove the receiver if necessary. You may notice in the pic that I reversed mine from the way you put yours khouse. So that I can see my power indicator and the charging hole still points down to keep dirt out of it. I'm gonna see if one of the little rubber plugs on a cell phone will fit in the hole when out detecting to keep dirt out. This also makes it sit perfectly so that while holding my detector with my right hand I can just flip my thumb across to the other side and turn the receivers power on and off if necessary. I just wanted it so that I could do that and see my power indicator also. Just for my reassurance lol. I added pics of the arrangement and pics of what I bought at radio shack for about $6 I think, plus some shrink tubing, I just took everything off the outside of the two plugs and soldered them and shrink tubed em. All that fancy stuff that comes on it just takes up space and requires longer wire, I wanted to keep the wire as short and compact as possible!! The blue wire sets it off too, lol the guy at radio shack gave it to me. It's not sheilded but works great, clear as a bell. this is one awesome setup, couldn't be happier with it!! Plenty loud enough, I think I ran it about half volume. so light also. I also bought me some of the cotton gloves with the rubber coating on them at lowes. They fit skin tight so I can feel what I'm doing but keep my hands dry and clean, they work awesome too. I can't stand handling dirt, my hands get all dried out and nasty feeling lol. Dirt sucks the oil right out of my skin. I hope I covered all the details if anybody else wants to do this, and so kenny can see how I did it so the light is to the outside and can easily acces the power switch just in case he might like that better. Hope it helps somebody. I won't be without it ever again!!!!

If anybody has any question or needs help just let me know! Thanks, hope it helps you guys out. I know it did me!

The pics

pics

Attachments

• earphones 001.jpg
    earphones 001.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,114
  • earphones 002.jpg
    earphones 002.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,125
  • earphone mod 002.jpg
    earphone mod 002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,247
  • earphone mod 003.jpg
    earphone mod 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,108
The part numbers for the 1/4" male plug is 274-1546, The 1/8" female jack(comes with 2 of them) is 274-274. I took the housing that screws over the tabs that you solder the wires to off. They just take up space and make the plug longer and wider, requiring longer wire and less clearance for the receiver to go between the 1/4 jack and the detector head. Remember to put your two pieces of shrink tube on the wire before attaching the second plug or you'll have to stretch it over the female plug which is not recommended. Can use a cigarette lighter on the shrink tubing, just make sure to keep it moving so you don't scorch the shrink tubing and make sure you go over all of it so it shrinks good. Not sure how the plug hole is located on other detectors but on the ace250 I had to file off one side of the 1/4 male plug flat so I could unplug it if the batts died so I could hear the detector speaker. any questions just ask.

No problem, you wont regret it. They're great. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I should be on alot at night. Got a big weekend of detecting planned so I won't be on during the day lol. You may have to drive around to a few radio shacks to find them. Alot of them are sold out. You can check the radio shack website to see what stores near you have them in stock. If you can't find them you can order from the site and have them shipped to a store for free. Good luck.

Well, I gave the ear phones a try on my Ace250. I plug the transmitter (for a lack of better words) directly into a 1/4 by 1/8 inch adapter, I already had around the house, directly into the back of the Ace. They do work, no lag at all, it was kind of nice moving around without being tethered to your detector..............

However, two problems stood out............

1. I would get a popping or crackling sound at times when I hit a target, not sure why, maybe interference from the detector or just the transmitter moving a bit ................

2. The biggest problem I am having is hearing the difference in tones, the tones tend to sound the same. The little differences you hear that would make one say "junk" or "bingo" ................

I will give them a couple of more tries and everyone know what I think.............. :D

The popping is normal, I get it sometimes, seems to be more on junk though. Coins don't do it on mine. It seems to do it more when it's a quick start,stop ding, which seems to be junk almost all the time to me. I think its because its getting a quick signal and then losing it. Not a distinguished strong ID. I think it's just the quick signal response of the headphones, which is a good thing. As soon as the signal is gone the sound is gone, no lag. I didn't like it the first time or two but when i got out in the field hunting I didn't even notice it after a few minutes. As far as the tone, I hear the differences the same as with the speaker. Some people hear different tones better or worse. That might be affecting you, I don't know. If anything I hear them better becaue they are right there in my ear. Maybe after you use them a time or two you'll have the same experience. Hope they work for you. I love them and wouldn't be without them. Now I hope I love my sunray probe I have ordered as much lol.

Nice work, I did something simliar last year, posted a thread about it somewheres here. My interest level in headphones is rather low though, so it never really caught on with me.
Didn't read all of it,that post kinda made my eyes bleed. Not trying to dog ya but please, use paragraphs in any long post in the future.

Well, I just came to this section to offer my two cents on the wireless issue and there you were with this post. However, wouldn't it just be easier to buy any number of types of Bluetooth headphones out there? You can get them as cheap as $34 and the adapter that plugs right into your headphone jack is small. They operate in 2.4 Ghz and last about 8 hours. This seems the best solution to me. It's what I'm doing when I get home.

Interesting thought on the bluetooth, wonder if I could get a headset that will work with both my detector and my phone :D :D :D

I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem Dooby. Plus, with the added benefit of having a mouth piece, you could talk to your detector while you hunt and tell it how much you love it. This will butter it up and insure many great finds. Who knows how many finds our detectors are holding back on us just because we fail to show them daily love. :D

I am kinda suspicious of the wireless stuff, I would keep wondering If I am missing something with every pop or click. What bluetooth setup plugs right in?

I would imagine most any of them would plug right in. I think most of them come with a 1/8" jack so you would need to get a 1/4" adapter from Radio shack for most detectors. Plus, if it sticks out of your jack in such a manner that you think you would hit it against stuff, just get a small extension cable and mount the adapter to a convenient place on your machine.

Bluetooth is a GREAT idea. I have already looked around on Ebay and they can be found for as little as $25, and come in different sizes to fit what you think looks good. One question though, How do you think the sound quality would be? Do you think It would be hard to tell the different tones apart? I have never listend to anything through bluetooth. Thanks for the Idea though :!: :D

Ive been looking around for the bluetooth but only see the receivers, no transmitters with them like with the wireless headphones.

Bajanick said:
Ive been looking around for the bluetooth but only see the receivers, no transmitters with them like with the wireless headphones.

That's the beauty of it. You don't need a seperate transmitter because the adapter IS the transmitter. The adapter (transmitter) that comes with the headphones is all you need. Plus if you use them to listen to stuff on your computer, your computer (if newer) may have blue tooth already in it and you don't even need the adapter then. I can only guess on sound quality until I try it out myself. There are many different brands that have blue tooth, so of course you would get different sound quality and frequency ranges between different brands. Just look for a set with a wide frequency band and you should be good to go.

Well I went ahead with the Radio Shack wireless phones and they seem to work pretty good. I used 2 squares of velcro to mount the transmitter to the box. Sometimes the volume is a little low. I have not been out in the field but did throw some coins on the ground and grass and gave it a try, theres no delay at all. The things I dont like are the headset is uncomfortable and both the headset and transmitter have built in rechargeable batteries, otherwise it works fine, heres a pic. CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE.

Hey Baja,
Are you getting pop and crackle on hits, or is it clear? I really like this idea. Anyone know how long the batteries last on the transmitter and headset?

Jack

Back
Top Bottom