Dog attack what do you do?

Dan B.

Elite Member
I had a close call with a Doberman Pinscher while I was in a open field the other day.
Is there something that a person can carry to spray at a charging dog. What is a person to do?

I carry a pistol. However, I'd really not want to shoot a dog, if I could at all help it. I love dogs.

Pepper spray should work on dogs, and of course, there's your coil, but not sure I'd want something chomping down on it.

Pepper spray, stream....NOT foam, ya have to get too close with the foam....I carry a handgun, as well....

I prefer barehand wrestling, show that dog whose boss! haha though in all seriousness I would rather let a dog tear me up than shoot or spray it.

I prefer barehand wrestling, show that dog whose boss! haha though in all seriousness I would rather let a dog tear me up than shoot or spray it.

Pepper or bear spray isn't going to hurt the dog in the long term. I've seen enough dog bites, that I'm not going to let it happen, no matter how much I love dogs.

The one time I've been charged by a dog, I leaned down and yelled NO! in my loudest Marine order. That thing slammed on the brakes and turned around. But I was prepared to do whatever was necessary.

Anything that will stop a person will stop a dog. A shovel upside the head works. I have come close to shooting a couple of dogs, glad I didn't because they never attacked just made a bunch of noise, but I was ready to shoot. I'm not to worried about one dog it's when they run in packs you have problems. You might want to consider some pepper spray or bear spray. I had a mailman friend that said dog biscuits work better than pepper spray.

Pepper or bear spray isn't going to hurt the dog in the long term. I've seen enough dog bites, that I'm not going to let it happen, no matter how much I love dogs.

The one time I've been charged by a dog, I leaned down and yelled NO! in my loudest Marine order. That thing slammed on the brakes and turned around. But I was prepared to do whatever was necessary.

My buddy had a pittbull that he adopted from someone who left it locked up all day. It spent the first 5 days just sitting in his cage growling at me every time I visited. Finally I told my buddy to let him out so we can settle this. This dog blew through the cage door as soon as the latch was released and came directly at me. I caught him with both hands under the lower jaw and around the neck so he couldn't bite me, and flipped him on his back and pinned him until he stopped struggling and growling. We were best friends ever since, even nearly taught him to say my name at one point... that brilliant dog tried so hard to say it for me, I miss that meathead.

I had a similar thing happen to me . I was detecting on public property across from a private property and the homeowner did not want me there so she told me to leave and i informed her i was legal so back and forth we went when she realized i wasn't leaving she told her dog to get me . A mistake on her part because her shepard met my shovel and i carry a big shovel. She called the cops and said i killed her dog just dazed him . Cops came got both stories no tickets cop just asked me to move to another spot. CARRY BIGGER SHOVEL. Felt bad for dog but he was big and he was fine

Big dogs don't scare me. Have always had dogs while growing up. Doby's, shepards, labs, danes, all kinds. I would wrestle with all of them. It's the ankle biters I don't care for, plus their teeth are small and sharp! :laughing: Yep, give me a big dog.. I like big dogs and I cannot lie.. :laughing:

As an ex-lineman I have had to deal with a lot of dogs while working power poles on lot lines. I have had a lot come at me like they would tear me apart. First off show no fear.Dogs react to fear, and could attack. Pepper spray will work, talking softly to them will work sometimes as well. If all else fails you do have your detector, digger, and bare hands if it comes to that. Usually the owner is close so things won't get too out of hand.

I'd use the Lesche for in close fighting if the shovel upside the head didn't drop the dog...people need to learn either leash 'em or lose 'em:lol:

I've never been attacked by a dog while mding, but I did break up a pit bull on pit bull attack back in January while mding. One of the three dogs was being walked by its owner, and two loose pit bulls ran up and grabbed it by its neck. I came over while the owner was whipping the dogs with a cheap leash that had broken. I cracked the dog that was latched onto the dog being walked in the head a few times with my steel digger, but it was moving to much for me to really get a good shot at it. After that I just grabbed the attacking pit by its collar and neck and yanked it off.

Once I got it off both the attacking dogs were cool as heck with me. They didn't try to bite me, and willingly got into the animal control truck.

As others have said , some type of spray. A dogs senses are so much better than ours that the sprays really do a number on them. That is about all you can do aside from shooting them with a gun. You will never outrun or outfight a big dog....

Also the best part of the spray is that it works instantly...(yes, I have LOTS of experience), but the best part is when they eventually go home and it effects the whole household...No more loose dog(s)....from them anyway...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom