Those Who Lose Interest?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Ok, I am ate up with this hobby. I have met and befriended many people over the years in this hobby, most are gung-ho but then "it's too cold", "it's too hot", "maybe next week" phrases creep in, and the perfect spring weather days come and go without many joining in like in the early times. Yea, priorities shift and folk's certainly can have life changes, I understand that.

To me, metal detecting, even for a couple hours now-and-again, alone or with a friend is of great value. It just seems a little depressing to see tectors who've bought into big, high end machines, just fade to black.

It sure is pretty weather and ground conditions for Texas is prime IMPO. I just don't get it. Getting out...for me...keeps me stumulated.

No real point being made, just a continual observation I keep seeing.

I've experienced a big change in my finds since I started this hobby. When I started I was living in Southern California and was finding both costume jewerly and clad and other bits & pieces of interesting things. It was not unusal for me to come home with over 4 dollars in change from a 4 hour hunt. I found both silver and gold in So Cal and many many pieces of simple charms or jewerly. I remember finding a decent amount of interesting surface finds in the parks in So Cal, unfortunately not so much here in Indiana.

Since I've moved to Indiana, I"ve seen a substantial drop in my finds. I guess what I am saying is that I no longer get up at 4:30 in the morning to get out before the kids and hit the tot lots and the green grass of the parks.

But the hobby is in my blood now, I may not be "wired" up as I used to be, but I will always get out there and swing an hour or two when I get the chance.

HDD

Metal detecting is a bit like gambling: If someone who's never gambled, went to Las Vegas, and lost the first 3 or 4 times (never winning a slot machine and never winning a hand at blackjack, etc...), guess what will happen ? He'll think "this is stupid" and loose interest in gambling.

Contrast to if someone who's never gambled went to Las Vegas and got some winnings on his first trip, guess what will happen ? He'll like gambling and want to do it again. Even though he loses on subsequent trips, his mind is still fixed on the potential and "what if?" factor.

So too is it the same with md'ing: If a guy goes out and finds tons of pulltabs and a few zincs, on his first several trips out, guess what happens ?

But if that SAME guy goes out to a virgin yard, or just happen-chances on a virgin country picnic site, such that his first trip nets multiple silver and zero tabs or zinc, guess what happens ?

So I CRINGE when I see the advice given to newbies, to "go to the nearest blighted city park, lower your disc. all the way so that you only just loose iron (lest you miss a ring or a nickel), and dig till your arms fall off". Guess what happens to that guy ?

For me it's those dang responsibilities that keep getting in the way :p When I'm actually off of work, I've got a house to upkeep or a lawn to mow or kids to pick up and when that's all said and done, I hear from the wifey that I never spend enough time with her. Uggggh. Shoot me. :doah:

But if that SAME guy goes out to a virgin yard, or just happen-chances on a virgin country picnic site, such that his first trip nets multiple silver and zero tabs or zinc, guess what happens ?

The same is true with detectors.

I've seen guys take a $1,500 killer detector out and as luck runs at times they found nothing to justify that $1,500 detector. I've seen the same person take a $200 detector and hit the right place at the right time and you just try and tell them that $1,500 detector is better than that $200.

For me detecting is like playing my guitar. It takes my mind off of everything else going on and allows me to be truly free for a short time. Nothing else matters at least for that time.

The reason I took up mding is to get me outside more often. Even if I only find junk and no clad it is the experince of seeing what is in the ground. I went out yesterday for about 2 hours and found junk and 26 cents. Did I enjoy myself yup. Just my 26 cents.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Back around 1987 I walked into an Army Surplus store in Las Vegas, Nv and saw some metal detectors for sale and it "CLICKED"...I have never lost the fire since then :D Due to life there have been some periods where I have not been able to get out that much but the desire in me to metal detect has never left! A true love of the outdoors, history along with having a passion for electronic prospecting will insure that I will NEVER lose the desire in spirit :yes:

For me it's those dang responsibilities that keep getting in the way :p When I'm actually off of work, I've got a house to upkeep or a lawn to mow or kids to pick up and when that's all said and done, I hear from the wifey that I never spend enough time with her. Uggggh. Shoot me. :doah:

As much as you might enjoy the hobby, you understand family (including the wifey) must come first :impatient: :lol:

I'm retired, my wife still works part time and goes to college part time, but my ability to get away from the house for more than an hour or two at a time is limited from being a caregiver for my wife's 91 year old mom who has dementia and can't be left alone for really long periods.

I've had a detector for about 25 years, my dad had one 40 years ago. I used to take it to the beach sometimes. Used mine when I took the children to the park mainly. Retired now and use it to get off to myself and think. I never fully quit, but some times I hunted more often than others. joe

All great replies,and Martin,that is a very valid observation. I've had the experience of running into LOTS of people who love to blow wind about ANY topic,but then when it comes to actually moving the muscles and doing things,they disappear. I have the good fortune of being in an area with some pretty prolific hunters who will hunt anywhere and everywhere,as long as it might be legal...the guy I hunt with most of the time is always there,grinding it out even on days when things aren't perfect. We both have a love of DETECTING,whatever it is about it. And I've always compared detecting to gambling,Toms reply is spot on regarding the "gamblers mentality". I do have an addictive personality,but never let my personal responsibilities suffer. All that gets done when I CANT detect,so when I want to,I can. It just so happens that my wife loves our TV,our kids love their video games,and I love detecting. Everybody gets to do what they like to do and we all meet in the middle enough so it all seems very normal.
Whatever the reason others don't want to detect,so be it. But it can be annoying when things are talked about,never to materialize due to probable laziness.

The same is true with detectors.

I've seen guys take a $1,500 killer detector out and as luck runs at times they found nothing to justify that $1,500 detector. I've seen the same person take a $200 detector and hit the right place at the right time and you just try and tell them that $1,500 detector is better than that $200.

For me detecting is like playing my guitar. It takes my mind off of everything else going on and allows me to be truly free for a short time. Nothing else matters at least for that time.

:goodpost:
My thoughts exactly!

I've gotten a few of my friends and relatives to try metal detecting over the years.. A couple stuck with it and still do it today but most of them called it quits after a few outings. I think they expected to find piles of old coins and jewelry every time they went detecting. I told them up front that's not the case but I guess digging a few pouches full of pulltabs, bottle caps and nails finally broke them.

For the ones who stick with it, I think detecting is just a fun, peaceful escape from the daily grind. It is for me anyway. Even if I don't find anything old or valuable I still enjoy getting out and detecting. I think that's a key ingredient for making nice finds too. If you really enjoy getting out there even when you're not finding much, you'll get out there way more often than the average Joe. As long as you're on some good locations, sooner or later you're gonna make some great finds! It pays to be persistent!

This is a great topic , first I respect all the MDers , for some it's almost a religion , that's cool . For some it's a part time hobby , cool too ! My interest is getting out exercise , nature , exploring old sites dreaming of cache . My best days are when my wife and I get into the woods on a nice day or ride the seadoo along the lake exploring old beachs to hunt . About the only time I go after clad is close to home , keeping in practice . Occasionally get to a friend's home , I don't door knock . The amount of time someone hunts or how much they love the hobby is a personal decision. Every day is full of decisions , what I'm thinking , what she is thinking , what we have to do , what we want to do, what we can afford to do , determines what we do . As much as I like diggin , a lot of days I find fixing something or helping some one more rewarding .
HH

The surge and wane in detecting is really a good deal as you can usually find mint condition detectors parked in someone's closet. They bought it, played for a while and parked it, never to be used again. Someone looking for a detector can usually pick up a high end machine at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be season 6 of this addiction. It can be a real freestyle hobby. For the first 4 years I hunted alone. Last year I began working colonial sites with a hunting buddy. Having a companion has made a big difference out there.

Some people just gotta get out and hunt/fish/trap...they cant help it, its something deep in their brain..'Pursuit Oriented'...This is the PERFECT Sport for those wired that way...no license, no ramp fees, no limits, year round, go anywhere in the World at any time, 15 minutes at a tear out, 8hrs straight on a beach, whatever the weather and situation dictates...

A guy can work this Sport in the off hours and never be missed by the boss or the Family...early in the morning or at night...You can hide this addiction from polite society even...Nobody need know the depths of your depravity!! :laughing:

I think the Forum is a great place to get encouraged and stay motivated...Its like an old timey campfire where the hunters show up and discuss strategies, share successes and failures and dangerous encounters, swap equipment, share advice, team up for a hunt...just as hunters have always done...like caveman stuff..

So..those wired to pursue, cant help it...even if you took away the detector, a guy would still get up and go out looking for stuff, empty cans, beach towels, curbside set outs for the trashman, cash eyefinds, arrowheads, turtles..go exploring,...the detector is merely a 'stage prop' so a guy has a believable excuse for being out at strange hours wandering around...plus, its a major Chick repellent!:laughing:

Attachments

• nerdy-girl-640x425.jpg
    nerdy-girl-640x425.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 282
I plead guilty Martin. My last outing was our group hunt at Flagpole Hill. That was the same day my doctor gave me the good news that the CT Scan showed no signs of cancer. That was my best find so far. Wife thinks so too. I still have the desire but more focused on rehab of the body post chemo. Wont be long before I get back out. Metal detecting builds stamina and cleanses the mind.
Since that last hunt you seem to have mastered the new Explorer with 2 41 Mercs in the last few weeks in prehunted ground. Grats on your finds.
My machine is right where I can see it everyday and it calls my name like a siren from the sea. LOL Give me a call next time your planning to get out.

I plead guilty Martin. My last outing was our group hunt at Flagpole Hill. That was the same day my doctor gave me the good news that the CT Scan showed no signs of cancer. That was my best find so far. Wife thinks so too. I still have the desire but more focused on rehab of the body post chemo. Wont be long before I get back out. Metal detecting builds stamina and cleanses the mind.
Since that last hunt you seem to have mastered the new Explorer with 2 41 Mercs in the last few weeks in prehunted ground. Grats on your finds.
My machine is right where I can see it everyday and it calls my name like a siren from the sea. LOL Give me a call next time your planning to get out.

That was wonderful news the day you informed me of your results. You're entitled to miss a hunt or two, but not three :-) JK

Not all are repelled by us..some find us irresistible...

There are plenty of hot girls who metal detect , ever seen digging brit on youtube. ?
That should be a picture sub forum " the girls of metal detecting"

Back
Top Bottom