Yes I'm that stoopid...

Bushman09

So, yesterday was my first time out with my new detector. First time with any detector for that matter... and I loved it! However being new and overly excited I made about the stupidest mistake possible for metal detecting. While walking down the beach I kept getting random beeps and numbers all over the place. My new ace 400 seemed to be working great, but none of these signals was repeatable. Took me almost half an hour to realize, I was wearing steel toed boots!! So every other step was setting off my detector... smart huh?! Won't make that mistake again. I did notice tho that once I got the hang of things the only place on the beach I was getting any hits at all was right on the edge of where the waves were crashing. Is this normally the best place to hunt or find things on a beach? Freshwater mind you, lake superior.... pain to dig there, especially this time of year. Also, anyone have any ideas for a cheap sand scoop? I'm kinda on a limited budget and my diggers I have just don't work on the beach. Thanks for any advice, and sorry it's such a long post. Figured I'd share my supreme intelligence with everyone...

Bahaha it's all god man it happens! You could get a cheap plastic scoop for dry sand but anything for the wet you will have to spend a good amount of money if you want it to last. Good luck out there and HH!

LOL... Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Makes you just wish you could slap yourself. Welcome aboard.

You just had the same learning experience some of us had. Just wait until you get really excited about a handful of dirt and realize it's your wedding band. It's all good. :lol: joe

I've done that with my scoop, had it in my left hand and was sweeping with my right. Kept getting good signals and couldnt find them again, even laid the scoop down by the hole. I wanted to go straight home after that.

I am not ashamed to say I did that too,sometimes also detected
with the MD turned off :roll: and after some minutes with "no signals" finally realized the knob was in "off" . This happened not the same day though :laughing::p

Actually, the stupidest thing to do while metal detecting, and I'm positive that most of us have done it, is to start walking and swinging and then realize that you forgot to turn the machine on. :laughing: Trust me, it happens!

Actually, the stupidest thing to do while metal detecting, and I'm positive that most of us have done it, is to start walking and swinging and then realize that you forgot to turn the machine on. :laughing: Trust me, it happens!

Another variant, for those that have in-line probes, is to retrieve the target, cover the hole and set off in search of a new target, while forgetting to change the switch back from the in-line probe back to the coil. Guilty as charged.

I just thought of another stupid thing...

...holding the plug or clump in your left hand while having your pro pointer in the right hand with it continuously going off and never actually finding the target. :?:

Darn wedding ring!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Steel toed boots? I guess you're not from Florida? ;)

Attachments

• sandals.jpg
    sandals.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 446
You really are up in Northern MN aintcha! Duluth? Anyway, what happens to me a few times per season, I MISS my POUCH! :laughing: Heres how it happens....as I stand up from pulling a find, I am putting it in the pouch with my left hand, and sweeping at the same time..all in one fluid motion, Time management technique......efficiency ya know!...:laughing:

I generally put my right foot on the spot that coin came from, and do an ever expanding twirl around to see if theres anything else right in the immediate area...Hey! Heres another coin laying right on the deck! Pouch it, twirl, OH hey! Heres another! Yippee! I'm in a spill! Then after finding the same coin a time or two, I realize instead of putting it in the pouch, I'm putting it BEHIND the pouch! As I spin, it flings itself out from between my pouch and my pants! Happens a couple of times per year...Its a canvas nail apron..easy to do!...:laughing:...First time it happened, I got $100 out of a totlot, and only had 25c to show for it!

Attachments

• pouch.jpg
    pouch.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 442
[/QUOTE]I generally put my right foot on the spot that coin came from, and do an ever expanding twirl around to see if theres anything else right in the immediate area...Hey! Heres another coin laying right on the deck! Pouch it, twirl, OH hey! Heres another! Yippee! I'm in a spill! Then after finding the same coin a time or two, I realize instead of putting it in the pouch, I'm putting it BEHIND the pouch! As I spin, it flings itself out from between my pouch and my pants! Happens a couple of times per year...Its a canvas nail apron..easy to do!...:laughing:...First time it happened, I got $100 out of a totlot, and only had 25c to show for it![/QUOTE]

LOL I did the same thing only in waist deep water. Thought I hit the mother load of clad! Took me a bit before I realized there was a hole in the pouch.

How about looking all over for your pointer or digger only to realize you were still holding it? :?: And I'm only in my mid 40's....

I have the old metal knee replacements. No need to tell you the rest of the story !

Wait until you get out of your vehicle and realize that you left your detector or battery at home. DOH!

Back
Top Bottom