Wanted A Melting Furnace.

DiveHunter

Forum Supporter
So I made one because I couldnt afford one...Made a tiny room out of fire brick covered it with dirt. Put a oz of silver jewlery in it. Used map gas torch ten minutes and it was nice liquid..

Attachments

• 100_2384.jpg
    100_2384.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 792
  • 100_2386.JPG
    100_2386.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 906
I pour the silver into a ignot mold and then stamp the weight and details on it. Then I stack them away.

What do you use to put the silver in that you pour ?
How do you pick it up.... if you put it in a container, doesn't that melt in the furnace.....
I'm missing something here huh... :?:

Nice smelter you built, however, I am trying to understand why you need one.. Silver sells by weight.. and no one cares what form it is...I guess it would be easier to store that way if you are stockpiling it... RickO

thats pretty neat! ive got some stuff used for fishing sinker making a melting pot and several molds..im gonna make some silver fishing weights lol

I have done the same with gold except you can melt it directly in the crucible with the torch, give it a shot next time and see if it works for you.

Here's another idea that I have used for years. Take a 2X4 pine board and burn a depression in the middle until it's charred. Then when you put in silver or gold it will melt and the charred surface will act as a flux to get the junk out so you can pour it. Maybe saw/file a channel from the depression to the edge for pouring. I use a common propane torch. steve in so az

Steve, are you saying the gold will separate from the alloyed material? RickO

i dont know about gold but when i melt lead that has other metals in it the other metals will float on top...i use a piece of flat metal and place it over the spout and leave a small gap for the lead to pour through and just toss the other stuff in a metal tub.

Thanks.. will have to give that a try... :D I have more curiosity than a herd of cats.... always something to occupy my mind...:lol: RickO

So I made one because I couldnt afford one...Made a tiny room out of fire brick covered it with dirt. Put a oz of silver jewlery in it. Used map gas torch ten minutes and it was nice liquid..

Mate, thats a bloody great idea! Please give us instructions.

Rick - No it wont separate the alloys from the precious metals, it elimninates the dross (junk/scum). You have to know what is added to purify that. My process just melts gold or silver for re-use. Steve

I am thinking about doing something very similar to make model rocket engines. Click here for more info on the model rocket engines. The ones I am going to make are halfway down the page under "Tiny Nozzles". Here is a link to The Foundry he made to melt aluminum. He talks about a book at the top of the page that I highly recomend reading if you are going to make a furnace. It does not cost to much and is very effective. Something you should look into.

Back
Top Bottom