Galvanized $8 sand scoop

Chasintail

I was going to buy a plastic one at either Agway or Tractor Supply but they had this 3 quart galvanized scoop at Agway so I went that route. I got on the internet and found a site that lets you print graph paper. I used a hexagonal design to allow for offset holes. Then cut the shape I needed and taped it to the scoop. Then followed up with drilling 1/2" holes per the pattern. Came out pretty nice I believe.

P8190063.jpg

P8190064.jpg

P8190065.jpg

That looks pretty good. I'd suggest another couple of rows of holes on the flat bottom, but that's about it. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Very nice, one of the better DIY scoops I've seen. If it's economic you could start yourself a business!

After my last post, the pics kept sticking in my head...so I returned to look again. I really like the slightly flat area at the bottom of the front end. My sand scoop is round and I often think that I may be missing that little area just at the depth of the find. The flat area would solve that issue.

Very nice!!!! I do agree that a couple more holes in the bottom may prove helpful.

Haven't used it yet but plan to Saturday morning. I'll let ya know how it works. If I need to add holes I'll do so, not a problem.

I used a pattern I got off the internet so if anybody wants me to email the .pdf file to them let me know. Or go here:

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

I used the 1" hexagonal pattern and I centered each hole in each hexagon. Seemed to give good spacing.

That sure is a great looking DIY job on the scoop. Looks professional. Thanks for showing and the idea of how to make it.:yes: Best of luck with using it. Let us know how you do.:D

Got to use the scoop yesterday. It worked incredibly well in the water. Wet sand required much shaking, but still worked well. Dry sand wasn't bad either. Much better than trying to use a shovel or my hands. We quick ran holes in bootmuds scoop too when he showed up yesterday morning. His scoop is slightly smaller than mine but he too found the design useful.

I did learn that if it reads a nickel and isn't in the hole and then isn't in the scoop when sifted and shows up again on the sand somewhere that it was a small split shot sinker. :lol:

Chasintail...glad you finally got to try your device. Sounds like it works well. How did it hold up to the weight of the wet sand? You're right about the elusive nickels too.

Thanks for the design and report(s).

Nice DIY scoop... does it seem like it will hold up? My concern is the aluminum looks a bit thin.. could be wrong... scoops take a lot of abuse, so should be sturdy. Thanks for posting the pictures.. RickO

I only have the two small swimming beaches near me so it will not see much use at all. But it seemed very sturdy and did not even flex when pushed in to wet sand bringing up a full scoop. I guess if one was to bounce it into rocks it wouldn't fair so well.

I don't believe it is made of aluminum.....

Nice DIY scoop... does it seem like it will hold up? My concern is the aluminum looks a bit thin.. could be wrong... scoops take a lot of abuse, so should be sturdy. Thanks for posting the pictures.. RickO

Rick,

The scoop is made of galvanized steel, so it should hold up unless used in the wet sand.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom