Make a pinpointer

I based my pinpointer on those plans but I used a Little Wizard II. I can play with mine and get to the very edge of beeping and get about 1.1 inches for dimes about 1.25 on pennys 1.5 for quarters and almost 2 inches on nickels and .50 pieces. The drawbacks I have are this:
I have to turn it on and off everytime and ajust the sensitivity everytime I turn it on, the switch gets dirt into it and my whole probe will detect not just the end.
I have seen these at 39.95 and I am thinking of getting one:

http://wizdist.com/wizprobe.cfm

I have read that there depth is not as good as some of the other probes.

Digginman said:
This may have been posted before, but instructions to make a pinpointer for about $15.00:

http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html

Bob

Hi Bob .......I posted this too, on June 1, 2006, in the Detectors And Gear board, Metal Detector Accessories forum, my post titled "Building a Pinpoint Probe".

I'm going with the Gardner-Bender #GPD-902 detector (suggested in tomstreasures instructions) for my basic electronic platform.
In fact, I just got the detector this past week from my local electric supply
house who ordered it for me. It cost $16.57 + 1.08 tax = $17.65 total, including a 9 volt battery.
As soon as I pick up a few dollars worth of extra parts needed at Home Depot this weekend, I'll be starting to build my own pinpointer !  :yes: Wish me luck !

BTW, I did get a few nice replies to my post, if you care to check it out.

I picked up a GPD-902 at the local hardware store yesterday, it rang up at $5.95 & I'm not going to complain :P Instead of plastering a big peice of pipe on the outside of the unit, I used a saliva extractor & mounted it internally through a hole in the case. Looks pretty slick & you can see where the pickup coil is. With only a thin plastic disk covering the end instead of a thick cap, I think it can get a little closer to the target.

Attachments

• Probe.JPG
    Probe.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,270
I think it is a good question.

ya know somebody has to ask the hard questions and I am the guy :?:

Maybe it will just be a spit or something ya know :lol: :lol: :lol:

fastforty said:
I picked up a GPD-902 at the local hardware store yesterday, it rang up at $5.95 & I'm not going to complain :P  Instead of plastering a big peice of pipe on the outside of the unit, I used a saliva extractor & mounted it internally through a hole in the case. Looks pretty slick & you can see where the pickup coil is. With only a thin plastic disk covering the end instead of a thick cap, I think it can get a little closer to the target.

Nice job fastforty ! Let us know how it works out after using. Assume the extractor is some type of plastic rather than glass.

HH........Todd

Heh, I guess the question had to asked ;)

It's a Medi-Vac Yankauer Suction Handle, Catalogue # K82.

It is plastic, very slightly flexible, not brittle. The plastic can be heated & reformed (it came slightly hook shaped). The bulbous end is a perfect snug fit for the coil. Bummer is, a quote on the package says "Caution: Federal (USA) law restricts this device to sale or use by or on the order of a physician" (geeze, it's a plastic tube :roll: ). I have owned & operated a small dental lab (fabricating gold & porcelain crown & bridgework) for about 20 years. One of my dentists "ordered" me to use the suction syringe for this project ;)

Maybe we have to many FEDERAL LAWS for our own good. :mad:

It must be some kind of a security breach to let it out to other uses. :?:

I say SPIT on them who ever they are and they can use there saliva extractor to clean out other parts of the body. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FastFourty, I've got a couple questions. 1. How far have you found the pinpointer can detect? Do you have to turn it on and adjust the sensitivity each time? Rob

Yeah, when you turn the wheel "On", it is beeping with the LED lit. You keep turning the wheel until the light goes out & the beeping stops, then yer ready to go. After adding the extra wire to make the coil reach the end of the tube, I had to adjust the internal calibration screws to get it working right.

Here are the distances that I get with a new battery in it:

Fired .22 shell casing: 1"

Pultab: 1.25"

Silver .50 peice: 1.25"

Horseshoe nail: 1.25"

Men's gold wedding band: 1.5"

Flat, crumpled foil: 2"

Metal ruler: 3"

Not real good, but usually enough to tell you which direction to dig, rather then making a 6" diameter by 8" deep hole into a 12" by 12" hole ;)

The distances look good to me. It seems like a push button could be put in series with the wheel switch. You could then turn it on with the wheel and hold down the push button and calibrate. Then leave the wheel alone an push the button and not have to calibrate each time. It's the way a Bullseye works. Rob

Back
Top Bottom