Sand Scoop

quicksilver

Well, this is my first attempt at a sand scoop. Very rough and sharp, pretty dangerous actually, but I will be careful...

1) Take your favorite empty can of coffee.
can.jpg

2) Draw onto the can your design.

3) Take an industrial pair of snippers/cutters and cut out your design.
cut can.jpg

4) File the rough, sharp edges of the can to prevent metal splinters.

5) Draw on the can where you want sand-flow holes.
drill can.jpg

6) Use a small drill bit to get the holes started and finish each hole with a large bit.

7) Peel off the can's display

8) File each hole and tamp down the where the holes are to prevent slicing.

And the final project should look a little bit like the images below, I didn't do as well as I hoped for but for dry sand I think it will be OK. I still need to add on a shaft to it. I was hoping some fellow builders out there could conjure up some good shaft ideas. All ideas/thoughts are appreciated, thanks for looking!
finish can.jpg
finish can 2.jpg

thanks, I think it took a little under an hour to build, but I was just kind of winging it too, I didnt really know what I was doing!

Did you stamp down the drill holes so you wont cut your fingers getting the gold out?;)

as far as a handle, if your wanting to attach a long handel just put 2 u-bolts thru the back around a handel.I don't think the leading edge will be strong enough to do any digging but might work ok in the vey dry sand, as far as a short handel, shape 1 out of 1/2 condut pipe, drill holes an monut it with bolts.

booker- yes i did stamp them down the best I could at least, it wasnt very easy,but it's better than what it used to be

and thats a good idea to add the handle like that

IMHO, I think it would be better to just buy a scoop. The edges look kind of sharp and, as you would no doubt soon find out, a scoop needs some "backbone" in order to be able to handle the heavy wet sand, not to mention the small rocks and pebbles found at many beaches. :)

I think it will work fine in the dry sand and the all purpose,do all ducktape will take care of the sharp edges

we got that coffee at a local bent-and-dent store, if you dont know what that is, it's a store where they receive damaged or old products from bigger stores, its a pretty cool place, the canned food is like 35 cents, but a lot is out of date...

I think I have found several of those rusted beyond belief. I always wondered what I found. Now I know. :?: Tetanus...

Back
Top Bottom