Anyone ever try polishing silver jewelry with a Dremel?

Mike1961

Elite Member
I have some silver jewelry with light scratches, almost like bag marks, and have been wanting to try to buff them out with the Dremel. Has anyone tried this before? If so, how did it work and what is the best attachment for this? Did you use any kind of buffing or polishing compound?

there is a cloth buffing wheel set-up for demels. you use jewlers compound. will turn your hands black but it washes up. blev

You can use the small, somewhat firm, felt buffing wheels. Not the pointy ones. Depending on the depth of the scratches, use the wax bar type polishing compound. The main ones are Black Emery, Brown Tripoli, White Diamond, Red Rouge. Black---> Red; black being the most aggressive, Red the finest. I would start with White Diamond, go with the direction of the spinning wheel. (Like a car tire on the road, not a climb cut) use enough pressure to create heat to melt the compound. Use different wheels for different compounds. It splatters, but will shine it quite nicely. Hope this helps...
~W

You can use the small, somewhat firm, felt buffing wheels. Not the pointy ones. Depending on the depth of the scratches, use the wax bar type polishing compound. The main ones are Black Emery, Brown Tripoli, White Diamond, Red Rouge. Black---> Red; black being the most aggressive, Red the finest. I would start with White Diamond, go with the direction of the spinning wheel. (Like a car tire on the road, not a climb cut) use enough pressure to create heat to melt the compound. Use different wheels for different compounds. It splatters, but will shine it quite nicely. Hope this helps...
~W

What he said. I used a Dremel on gold teeth and partials in a dental lab with great results.....

Dusty

Thanks. I don't think I will need a very abrasive wheel as the scratches are light.

Thanks. I don't think I will need a very abrasive wheel as the scratches are light.

The wheel is not abrasive at all, its the compound that you apply to the wheel. Can find it at most hardware stores, the white diamond has just enough cleaning power to take out fine swirls and scratches. Use it twice a year on my classic car wheels and stainless/aluminum trim. A ring should take you about 3 minutes. Just start slow and light. once you get the hang of it its super easy. Will try to post a pic tomorrow. Cheers...
~W

Thanks. I also consider using toothpaste for a buffing medium but wondered if it might not be too abrasive.

Should work just fine. I use sandpaper to cleanup really bad water-sulfided silver jewelry. A dremel and polishing wheel just makes it pretty again.

For minor scratches, start with a felt or flannel wheel using a Tripoli (Brown) compound. After the scratches are removed, wipe it clean and then finish polishing it with red rouge, zam, or something like that using a new wheel. Don't mix the polishes. Wear some sort of eye protection. You do not need to run the Dremel at full speed. A foot speed control makes it a whole lot easier to use but is not needed.

Well, gonna have to get me a new dremel before I try it. Had not used mine in ages, dug it out, plugged it in, shaft was froze up and very quickly smoke came pouring out. Might take it apart tomorrow and see if I can fix it but it's probably trashed.

I was thinking of polishing the silver rings I've found. I have a dremel with the felt wheels,and silver polish but I don't have polishing cloths. Does anyone know where to buy them or what to use,as an alternative?

I was thinking of polishing the silver rings I've found. I have a dremel with the felt wheels,and silver polish but I don't have polishing cloths. Does anyone know where to buy them or what to use,as an alternative?

walmart, target, lowes, home depot, etc all carry silver polish and polishing cloths.

(this is an older thread.)

i would think almost any soft cotton cloth would do the trick for you! :yes: and yep, there are cans of silver polish available, the name on the label that comes to mind is "Silvo". the one for brass is called....... "Brasso", lol.
i've even used chrome/stainless steel wheel polish stuff for shining things up. ;)

Pete

Google "sunshine polishing cloth"
My friends in Minnesota sell them. Non abrasive. They use them, as do I, to polish old silver pocket watches. Doesn't take off silver like a dremel would.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I attempted a couple rings tonight. It is hard to get in all the little nooks. One of the rings I tried is black from sitting in water and that one doesn't want to clean up.

uploadfromtaptalk1402360560777.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Looks good. A cloth might help you get in the nooks and crannies better

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom