Made my own PVC sand scoop... *pics*

I made one quickly out of a plastic pitcher and a fellow MDer gave me a metal hand scoop when I was detecting on South Beach, I guess he felt sorry for me.

you should sharpen the edge a bit - it makes a BIG difference.

Nice job on the scoop.

Before I got my real scoop, I used to hunt with pvc scoops, and liked it.

The last improvement I considered was to replace tip with a piece of iron. That modification should make the scoop just as easy to dig with as the mesh-scoops in the stores. - I didn't get to that part, so I cannot tell how it would work out.

Try it if you feel like it.

The mesh will not break when the foot is used to push the scoop - the diameter of the pipe is small eneough for the whole foot to cover it..

That hawaiian guy has inspired a lot of people with his video - myself included :lol:

HH

/Steffen

I think that we got the cheapest scoop on the market now and pvc really rocks! most of the prototype I've made in the past years were pvc, I use this material as a test model and then would build those in Stainless... but its seem I've stuck with Pvc.

Till now I have build about 6 Pvc Scoop, three are with me, one in Uk, France and Reunion Island, my 1st other models broke due to stress points but I've overcome this issue by reinforcing those parts :)

looks good.. they also make a 4" plug with square 3/8 holes in it if you dont already have the screen..(screen was 10.00) But i used the extra screen for a floating dirt, treasure separator

Quote[I just need it for the occasional shallow sandy lake hunt and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Did I mention how chilly it was waist deep in the lake today?] :shock:

Be careful waist deep with a ACE150 the control box doesnt like water:no: Nice scoop

Quote[I just need it for the occasional shallow sandy lake hunt and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Did I mention how chilly it was waist deep in the lake today?] :shock:

Be careful waist deep with a ACE150 the control box doesnt like water:no: Nice scoop
I know it does not like the water. I had a leash on it and the detector never came with in 5 inches of the water itself. I guess I was a little less then waist in. Upper thigh lol.
Very Nice!
Thank you
you should sharpen the edge a bit - it makes a BIG difference.

Nice job on the scoop.

Before I got my real scoop, I used to hunt with pvc scoops, and liked it.

The last improvement I considered was to replace tip with a piece of iron. That modification should make the scoop just as easy to dig with as the mesh-scoops in the stores. - I didn't get to that part, so I cannot tell how it would work out.

Try it if you feel like it.

The mesh will not break when the foot is used to push the scoop - the diameter of the pipe is small eneough for the whole foot to cover it..

That hawaiian guy has inspired a lot of people with his video - myself included :lol:

HH

/Steffen
I do not push on the mesh itself. I push on the top edge of the pvc piece and even on the handle. I am thinking about a cap with holes. But so far this has been perfect the way it is honestly for the use I need it for here.
Thanks for sharing and nice job on the scoop !!!
Thank you.

Project #2

This will be my next project, I've seen some others on youtube and they seem to be well received. Nice job with this one and thanks for posting your "testing", a lot of the videos don't include actual results in using theirs for some reason. :digginahole:

Question on this scoop. Why use a screen? Why not get a $2 PVC end cap and drill holes in it?

So my dad does md and was in need of a scoop, so I gave this a shot. I see why people don't buy the end caps I guess, $7 and they are pretty heavy. I couldn't find the cheaper thinner caps I saw online. But I picked up a flange that was there which is PVC and lighter. I removed the metal ring. It fits nice and snug over the smaller end of the 4" 45-deg elbow, its pvc-cemented on as well. Just so the inner cap doesn't pop off (you have to use a hammer to get it off so says the sticker) I put some craft glue around the edges in the channel. That stuff is amazing on anything plastic.

I didn't drill a hole for the handle, as I'm mailing it out across country. He will do that out there. Fun project!

pvc_scoop.jpg

Parts from HD:

99358f21-60b9-4e68-90c1-648dafe6852d_300.jpg
41eb71c5-75ee-4c40-ac8f-b7cf151b1138_300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom