New to the hobby

Yousername

Elite Member
So I very recently started to collect coins(few weeks ago) after getting bored and going through my jar of coins I was going to cash in at the bank, noticed I had a few 1950's/1960's nickels and a 1938 and 1919 penny, looked them up and saw they were worth a decent amount of money compared to their face value. I thought it would be a neat hobby and started to look at prices and reviews for metal detectors for coin hunting. My budget is around $250 and under, so far going from what I've read and the features they have the Fisher F2 and Garrett 250 seem like nice starters and are in my budget range, leaning more towards the Garrett because of the features I'm seeing on the pictures of the display and it just seems like a better machine. Any input on the two models? What other models do the veterans suggest for a beginner with my budget? Thanks for your time.

Either machine will be fine. I prefer the Garrett but it will be mixed preference on here, Either way you will have a decent machine

I'd for sure go with the F2. I've heard really good things about it, I tested both an F2 and a Ace 350 and if I was going to buy one, I'd get the F2. The F2 has VDI numbers which really come in handy. Both are good machines, but for the price you can't beat the F2. Plus its not yellow lol.

I would go with either a tesoro compadre or a tesoro silver umax. They will stomp both machines you mentioned in my opinion. Plus a lifetime warranty ...best of luck in your choice and welcome to the hobby!

LittleJohn

Welcome aboard from NW Florida!!

22728_10152223142160635_925608420_n.jpg

I would go with either a tesoro compadre or a tesoro silver umax. They will stomp both machines you mentioned in my opinion. Plus a lifetime warranty ...best of luck in your choice and welcome to the hobby!

LittleJohn

Ive had a silver umax. I didn't like the fact that the deeper the signal was the more you had to listen for it. On an Ace if you get a signal at 8 inches or on the surface it will sound the same. Reason I still have my ace and umax is gone

If you don't decide on a Tesoro with no screen, (Silver or Compadre), then the F2 has way more features, (VDI numbers) and is the best value, (extra coils), than anything in the beginners price point.

The Ace has icons only, the F2 has those plus VDI numbers just like the big boys that are unbelievably helpful once you learn to understand them.
Do we want to mention the superior target separation and rapid recovery on the F2 vs others?
Yes...we do.

The Ace has preset programs and the F2 does not, but it takes literally seconds to set up the F2 in any of a possible 95 combinations to hunt any way you want.

A beast on coins, it also finds anything and everything pretty easily IMO.
It does for me, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom