Newbee

Haldean

Hi; I am Hal and I am happy to participate in this forum. I started metal detecting in about 1968 but due to my career I have been inactive since the late 80ties. I retired a little over a year ago and am now interested in picking up where I left off. I am starting this time with a Garrett AT Max. I haven't done much yet as the weather has been so terrible hot and I am not a young man any more. I do like to go out in the mornings and the evenings when I can.

What would be the best metal detector for beginners?

I bought an Garret Ace 400 in January as my starter detector. I'm saving all my coins for an Garret AT Pro. I didn't want to throw a ton of $$ around on a hobby that I was just starting!

I've found 5 silver rings and a gold ring with the Ace and something like $40 in change so far!

Do invest in a pin-pointer tho! When I was detecting in to 70's/80's they didn't exist and it made it soo much more difficult to locate your target!

I bought an Garret Ace 400 in January as my starter detector. I'm saving all my coins for an Garret AT Pro. I didn't want to throw a ton of $$ around on a hobby that I was just starting!

I've found 5 silver rings and a gold ring with the Ace and something like $40 in change so far!

Do invest in a pin-pointer tho! When I was detecting in to 70's/80's they didn't exist and it made it soo much more difficult to locate your target!

Thank you! Will definitely look into that one!!

Welcome from Salinas, CA. I notice you say that you got into detecting in 1968. Although I didn't get into it till the mid 1970s (about 8th grade), yet the school chum that got me into it, had older brothers who had started in the mid 1960s.

So do tell: What machine were you using in those days ? How deep could you get a coin-sized target to ? The guys I talked to, that had started in the mid-1960s, said they were lucky to get 3" deep on coins in those days. But ... heck ... that was all you needed, haha

A very warm welcome from another newbie. I primarily got into the hobby because I needed exercise, but actually exercising is so boring that I know that I'm not going to do it. If you get out and dig a lot of targets, you'll be huffing and puffing like you are running a 10k at top speed. Or maybe that's me. I have an office job and don't move around much during a typical day. But MDing is pretty awesome, because you are getting exercise while doing something that *can* be exciting, at times. Welcome to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom