Using pill bottle with what kinda liquid inside to keep coins in while hunting in the field?

TN_INDIAN

Forum Supporter
I have noticed some of the oldtymers using pill bottles to keep there silver coin finds in while coinshooting. Ok I think its a awesome idea and have 2 for next time I go hunting. But question is what is the liquid that's in the pill bottle where the older coins r kept? Thanks.

I don't use a pill bottle for my silver (only my clad) -- no water. This is what I use to put my silver, wheats and other special "small" finds in (cotton batting added). Purchased at Wal-mart (found in the crafts department). They have different types and sizes to suit your needs. This one is only 4 inches across with 6 compartments. I DON'T CLEAN MY SILVER IN THE FIELD!

Attachments

• Special Coins-Finds Holder.JPG
    Special Coins-Finds Holder.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 627
I have noticed some of the oldtymers using pill bottles to keep there silver coin finds in while coinshooting. Ok I think its a awesome idea and have 2 for next time I go hunting. But question is what is the liquid that's in the pill bottle where the older coins r kept? Thanks.

Some have plain water. Some have soap. Be best to have a spray bottle with you to knock sand off. Around here sand will even tear silver up laying on cotton balls. You walk all day with them moving around its like a cotton tumbler with sand in it.

cool thanks! So they are just putting there fresh dug coins in a pill bottle with water in it r soap and just let it clean itself?

I think it all depends on how good of care you want to take for your fresh dug coins. Some people are very picky about even the slightest scratch. I've heard of pill bottles with distilled water in them or mineral oil or nothing. If you're really worried about them getting scratched by the sand and grit on them, then probably placing them in something that will cause the least amount of jiggling during transport will be the best. I don't get all that worked up and have separate small pouch on my bag that I drop those type of things into, but carry an empty pill bottle for the day that something potentially miraculous comes along. Have been reprimanded here in the past for even rubbing a little dirt off of a coin in the field. Some are very serious about it and some (like me) are little more lax. I'm mainly in it for the fun, but can see the benefit of preserving a valuable coin. FWIW.

Coin Care

I carry A very small spray bottle. I keep a mild diluted household cleaner in it, or distilled water. I keep a small Micro fiber cloth in my pouch. I clean coins enough to see the date, then carry them in my pants watch pocket. I carry a pocket notebook and would wrap each in paper if they had any value! I seldom have more than one coin per hunt worth protecting... GL & HH.....Pat

I have found quite a few coins worth money. I was advised by a coin shop owner to carry a small glass bottle of olive oil and immediately put my silver in it.

Get home and rinse it with hot water only. I did that AFTER I scratched not one but TWO 1926S dimes. I got 100.00 each for them BUT he told me I would have got a lot more if I wouldn't have scratched them.

I didn't scratch a few other nice coins after that, BUT never found another AU 1926S merc.

I have found quite a few coins worth money. I was advised by a coin shop owner to carry a small glass bottle of olive oil and immediately put my silver in it.

Get home and rinse it with hot water only. I did that AFTER I scratched not one but TWO 1926S dimes. I got 100.00 each for them BUT he told me I would have got a lot more if I wouldn't have scratched them.

I didn't scratch a few other nice coins after that, BUT never found another AU 1926S merc.

Im sure olive oil in a plastic pill bottle works just as well and is what I think im gonna start doing thanks to u guys.

Personally I don't like using olive oil, it seems to change the color of copper coins darker. Silver would be fine in olive oil though. What I do is keep a folded up paper towel in a plastic container. When the towel is folded up it makes many layers and I just put each coin in it's own layer.

this is what I use its a little plastic box with two pieces of foam
put the coin between the pieces and it wont move and do any damage until you get home
got it from Chuck at Indian Nations

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 487
Some have plain water. Some have soap. Be best to have a spray bottle with you to knock sand off. Around here sand will even tear silver up laying on cotton balls. You walk all day with them moving around its like a cotton tumbler with sand in it.

Good point -- thank you!

I carry three bottles, one is for wheats, indians, old nickels etc.....one is for silver......and the third is one RARELY used, but it is for an awesome find, like an exceptional good condition silver, key date etc.....something that I do NOT want anything else touching at all!

and I do not like to use any liquid at all, I do NOT believe in field cleaning, if a coin has been buried for 100 or more yrs I am more than patient enough to do a proper cleaning at home. NO rubbing silver in the field. NONE!!! :D

My beach silvers I just put in my finds pouch since they are almost always "toasted" anyway. On land I usually carry a pill bottle with olive oil. I never, never, never swipe my thumb or finger across a silver coin to see what it is. I will blow what dirt off that I can and then put it in the pill bottle of olive oil. I can wait until I get home for a better, but careful, cleaning.

My beach silvers I just put in my finds pouch since they are almost always "toasted" anyway. On land I usually carry a pill bottle with olive oil. I never, never, never swipe my thumb or finger across a silver coin to see what it is. I will blow what dirt off that I can and then put it in the pill bottle of olive oil. I can wait until I get home for a better, but careful, cleaning.

Ok what is the purpose of the olive oil thanks.

Back
Top Bottom