water heater purchase place suggestions?

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
Well if its not one thing its another.
Long story shorter.
My friend has a house now that she inherited from her father and mothers passing in the past two years. A pipe broke in the kitchen that was a nightmare.
And with parents illness and losses it finally was finished not right items stolen and shoddy work. But with the parents passing and one brother completely making a huge mess of a clear trust and parents wishes. Anyhow finally 2 years about 6 months ago her brother did the right thing and settled her out of the trust and she is clean and clear owner. Other brothers still fighting but that's for then and their mess to sort out.

Anyhow trying to help where I can. Disabled friend 4 kids. So trying to figure out best and thriftiest place to get a water heater. I haven't had any luck in tracking the warranty. Still have to check with sears (their closed when I got off work)

Current one Is American water heater company (calling tomorrow as well)
50 gallon marked 12 year warranty.
Got sticker shock looking at home depot 700 for a equal one?!.

Suggestions and or input please.
After two days of having to light it every few hours the thermo coupler was swapped today, now down to no light at all.)

I just had a State premier hybrid electric heater installed. Digitally programmable. Cost to operate approx $192/year. Cost was $1800 installed, ouch. Local heating and cooling place installed it.
I did get a nice big rebate check from my electric company because it's Energy Star.

When I purchased my first house money was tight. My hot water heater died and I ended up finding a used one on Craigslist for $25. That lasted for 14 years! I finally had to replace that one this year and I am thinking that I bought the tank and all we fittings for less than $500. Mine was a gas one also.

They're not hard to replace , you may be able to install it yourself and save some money . You could drop the gallon size to a 40 and still have plenty of hot water . I took a 50 gal out of my house and put in a 12 gal . It's just me and I didn't need that much hot water . You might can find a decent handyman locally that could do it cheaper . I'm not sure about your west coast prices , but I would try to find a little better quality than the big box store carry .

If it's a gas try pulling the burner out. Often if unused for a long time it gets corroded and won't stay lit. Wire brush to knock all the rust off and maybe a really small drillbit to clean out the holes and you may still get a few years out of it. Did that to the one in my house close to 10 years ago and still chugging along. As long as the tank itself isn't rusted out the rest is really just a burner and pilot light.

As long as it's not leaking it could be an easy fix. While you're in there remember to replace the sacrificial anode as well, cheap way to extend the life of the unit...

If it's a gas try pulling the burner out. Often if unused for a long time it gets corroded and won't stay lit. Wire brush to knock all the rust off and maybe a really small drillbit to clean out the holes and you may still get a few years out of it. Did that to the one in my house close to 10 years ago and still chugging along. As long as the tank itself isn't rusted out the rest is really just a burner and pilot light.

Pilot light wont stay lit you say? Changed the thermocouple and still no dice? Well, T-man is to the rescue once again!...Easy fix before you go to tearing out the whole tank!

This is all you gotta do Dude...look up a youtube video on how to do it...theres old guys on there that show step by step for just about everything!~ good Luck! Report back! Easy first step...
Mud

Last edited:
Pilot light wont stay lit you say? Changed the thermocouple and still no dice? Well, T-man is to the rescue once again!...Easy fix before you got tearing out the whole tank!

This is all you gotta do Dude...look up a youtube video on how to do it...theres old guys on there that show step by step for just about everything!~ good Luck! Report back! Easy first step...
Mud

.....if you do it yourself, check for videos as Mud mentioned so you can be sure it's done right as you don't want to risk any gas leaks.

.....if you do it yourself, check for videos as Mud mentioned so you can be sure it's done right as you don't want to risk any gas leaks.

Yup..if you have never done this,..watch a youtube vid, just google it up! Get the tools and have at it...should take about 20 minutes tops...its not that hard or complicated, just be aware of what you are working with, what you want to accomplish, and what you want to avoid.....pretty much like Life in general...
Mud.

Well update for now thanks to the link I found one local for 269. Gave them the info with my work sched i can't go get it. Tonight I spent a hour adjusting new thermo coupler. I need to bring over a multi meter to verify the milivolts..
Bad part is taking connector off what I believe is the over temp sensor it broke off (I'm overly cautious ) so I think it got brittle with age. Either way no dice. As soon as pilot light / gas flow is released full dead again.
All soapy water was leak free..

Dunno. New unit might be a safe bet. But I like the post about the used unit too..
To continue tomorrow. I need to shower off at my house think I got some fiberglass on me.. I'm itchy lol..

Thanks for all the input so far everyone..

Our local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store has new water heaters for sale very cheap...in the $200 - $300 range if not cheaper. Might want to check with one of them if available...or other local bulk purchase/closeout stores.

You could just replace the entire burner assembly as well as any parts/sensors you broke. Check out Grainger. I'm sure they would have all the parts you need and they are pretty reasonably priced. They have an online price and thier parts books are bigger then a city phonebook.

Well....
Think my friend over estimated the age of the water heater.
She kept telling me it was 16 she thought..
They got ahold of the manufacturer today and come to find out its under warranty.. They are sending out all new parts.
American water heater company has gained a huge amount of respect from
Me today. No hassle and standing behind their product.

That's great !!!!!

If more companies would gladly stand behind their products like that they would realize the brand loyalty they would generate would more than make up for the extra cost.

That's great !!!!!

If more companies would gladly stand behind their products like that they would realize the brand loyalty they would generate would more than make up for the extra cost.

Yup. I support where and when I can.
And yea the good news of the day..
The bad news front end of the truck was side swiped by someone who didn't think traffic laws apply to them. Luckily no one hurt but it was a hit and run...
They got the plate number... Would love to see their reaction to the chp knocking at their door...

Back
Top Bottom