Lost Wax?

Electro

I have been thinking about making a gold ring with the lost wax technique. I have some gold ring finds that are quite ordinary and I am thinking it might be very cool to make a skull ring out of yellow gold. I have priced them on the net and they go for around $800.00 for 14k.

I am wondering if anybody has any experience doing this? I used to sell dental equipment and I know that dental labs often use similar or the same equipment that jewelers use. Here is a link below that talks a bit about lost wax

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/515_lost-wax-casting.htm

Attachments

• classiconyz1_enl.jpg
    classiconyz1_enl.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 360
  • eric_clapton_skull_ring1.jpg
    eric_clapton_skull_ring1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 354
  • gold-no-jaw-Black-146x124.jpg
    gold-no-jaw-Black-146x124.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 364
  • Tommy-016.jpg
    Tommy-016.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 353
  • Tommy-030.jpg
    Tommy-030.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 359
Many moons ago, I worked for a jewelry maker, and that's the way they did it. Regarding your ring or skeleton head, they would make a rubber mold first. Then carefully cut away the rubber into two pieces, basically halves. Then after the ring is removed, then they would make a wax casting of the mold. Then after removing the wax mold, they cleaned it up so it was as close to the original as possible. Then as the movie showed, set the wax mold in the plaster stuff. Heat it in a jewelry oven, till all the wax is gone. Heat up the metal, gold, silver or what ever. Add a little borax to it to help remove any impurities. And Just like the movie, the spin, clean up, polishing, etc. Lot of work. I used to do a lot of polishing, till my fingers were black with rouge. There were bags of diamonds, gold, silver etc all over the place.
They used Hydrogen gas to melt the metal, because it was hotter than acetylene gas. It was quite an experience that I will never forget.

Very interesting... I have never been involved with that ... I worked with a fellow that did his own jewelry using that process.. but never actually saw him do it. Looks like it may take some practice... Good luck..RickO

Electro - When I taught silversmithing in high school we made hundreds of them with lost wax. You can probably go to a jewelry supply house (or catalog) and buy a skull already made in wax, mounted on a ring. You get your size and go through the process of casting it. A bunch of steps but anyone can do it at home with the right equipment. If you are going to be making a bunch over the years then maybe buy the equipment. Otherwise check around for a goldsmith or silversmith who would cast it for you. That's probably the best way if you just want one or a few. Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom