Best Water / Land Metal Detector

Frankie

Hi, What is the best metal detector to use in water and dry land ?

I want something that will be submerged without any damage and accurately
to an extent tell me if I have treasure.

Please reply,

Frankie

I'll be watching this thread too. I'm looking for a beach/land detector that is ok to get completely wet. I'm trying to find one in the $400 range if there are any. Preferrably a quality detector (yet I know quality beach detectors price up over 1K.)

Frankie

Your bio says central N.J. Are you thinking of hunting in fresh or salt water?
If you are thinking fresh and you want a detector that manages well in dirt, you might think about a tiger shark by tesoro. A good all around machine in the 600 dollar range. It's hard to tell which is best for the area you will hunt most unless you are more specific. We have members in that area that can help you out...Good luck on your choice....Gil

Hi,

I live near the Raritan and River and not very far from Belmar, so a salt detector is a md I'd like to buy. I'd like something that doen't mind to be
submerged either.

Please reply with any suggestions.

Also, did I place this threrad in the wrong forum ?

PLEASE REPLY,

Frankie

Well, if you want something that is to be submerged, remember you are going to give up any display, so you are going to have to get a metal detector that has tones that you can learn, like the minelab excalibur, fisher cz-20, fisher cz-21, and the whites beach hunter ID can be used on land and saltwater too, it has indicator lights on the side. Another thing to keep in mind about these amphibious machines is that they are going to be substantively heavier than just a dedicated land/water machine. That is why I use my Tesoro Deleon for land which is light, and my heavier beach hunter ID which works beautifully for water/beach detecting. Hope this helps. Happy Hunting!

I am not pushing

any particular brand. I swing a BHID in the water and have a separate detector for dirt. The one big advantage the tesoro has is coil interchangability. Most water machines come equipped with a standard coil that is sealed, and can't be changed. Water detectors are coil heavy to counter bouyancy. The Beach hunter coil is a tad lighter and has a tendency to float. On the other side of the coin it's not all that heavy on land. Sort of a tradeoff for multi use. Check out what others say about each machine in
Metal detecting reviews. There is a click on banner one one of these pages. Just click refresh till it pops up...Gil

I say this with much confidence minelab soverign or its counterpart the
excalibur.
If you get a strait shaft for either it seems to cut the weight in half.
At the beach it was dead quiet untill a target.
In the parks it found coins at great depth.
I do not have one anymore, I actually use a light weight tesoro but if I needed a dual purpose detector like you mentioned it would have to be the minelab.
Just my two cents.

If price is no object any of the top of the line water detectors will work. You don't say fresh or salt water.

If your beaches are semi clean you would be able to hunt with a PI machine. The Garrett Sea hunter is a machine I have been doing some testing for Garrett with and I am very impressed with it so far. It goes very deep in discrete mode and disc. set @2 it purrs like a kitten and doesn't miss a beat.

It comes with the 8" mono coil and you can buy the 12X14 Coil for it. I have used both coils and they are very simple to change out. The ear phones can also be changed. Like someone said most machines the coil and ear phones are hard wired. And they are made bullet proof and I have not heard of any leak issues.

There are also some great deals out there on used machines and a lot of them still have warranty on them.

Also, did I place this threrad in the wrong forum ?

PLEASE REPLY,

Frankie
Frankie,

I moved your post into the "Advice" forum. No problem, that's why mods make the big bucks.:lol:

If you want a detector for both land and sea, be sure it's a VLF (very low freq) machine. VLF machines (as opposed to Pulse Induction MDs) offer discrimination and a certain amount of depth indication...both of which will help a lot in the dirt.

I like the Detector Pro Wader and have really heard good things about the Tiger Shark as well. The Excal's mentioned above are very nice, but the price point is somewhat higher.

Respectfully,

I personally like the Minelab Excalibur 1000 which I hunt with a lot under water. It's a powerful detector and the tones or signals are fairly easy to learn...not too complicated or involved. It's rated to go to a 250ft depth. The only thing I'd be concerned with is: if buying a second hand detector...make sure you get to test it before buying it..to make sure there are no leaks or cracks in the housing. With the Excalibur like mine, apparently some complaints have been the knobs fall off (although I haven't had this problem). Just check out the detector. If an owner who's selling one won't allow you to test it before the purchase..I'd be dubious about buying it.
Golden:yes:

Back
Top Bottom