A simple lanyard ring

laradactyl

I have been trying out different ways of carrying my metal detecting gear and finds for a couple of days shy of 3 months now. I get out almost every day for a couple of hours.

One thing that I really like about my setup is my finds pouch. I use an old leather single pocket "all purpose leather pouch" by Klein tools (No. 5146). The single pocket is really no big deal as I just use an old tin for the smaller items that I want to keep separated from the main pouch. The only problem with this, and it is a minor one, is that the tin gets lost among all the trash after a while and it takes a bit of time to retrieve it from the bottom of the pouch. I think I fixed this by adding a lanyard ring to the tin.

Time will tell. I have tied an old boot lace to the ring and, hopefully that will allow me to retrieve the tin without digging around in the pouch.

Attachments

• TinLanyardRing.jpg
    TinLanyardRing.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 590
Take a carabiner , snap it on the ring then attach it on one of your belt loops next to the pouch.

That Klein bag sounds like a good idea, I got one sitting around here somewhere from when I was working..... Thanks for the idea.

That Klein bag sounds like a good idea, I got one sitting around here somewhere from when I was working..... Thanks for the idea.

It makes a great finds pouch. Mine is left over from my working days too. They are still available but the price is close to $50 now, and the new ones don't show the scars from all those years of hard use. I like the old battered look better.

It makes a great finds pouch. Mine is left over from my working days too. They are still available but the price is close to $50 now, and the new ones don't show the scars from all those years of hard use. I like the old battered look better.

Fifty Bucks ??? I think that's what I paid for my first Bashlin floater belt...:lol:

Good idea!

I'm always changing/rearranging my gear setup trying to find the perfect fit for comfort and efficiency.

Good idea!

I'm always changing/rearranging my gear setup trying to find the perfect fit for comfort and efficiency.

Me too. The rig that I am currently using seems to be working out very well for me. It is comfortable enough that I do not find myself anxious to quickly remove it as soon as possible, which was often the case with tool belts. I can wear this rig all day and not even notice it unless the t-handle shovel is in place when walking at a fast pace, in which case I just carry the t-handle in my free hand. The t-handle is mostly there to assist me in getting back to my feet so is essential equipment for me even though I seldom use it for digging. Most of my digging chores are handled with the screwdriver pictured in the pouch below and a Gerber River Shorty knife which hangs from paracord around my neck. In use everything is close to the hand that will need it. Quick simple and intuitive. I find myself fumbling for nothing (other than that blasted dirt colored pull tab in the hole). No time or energy wasted digging for the right tool.

I wear this with the pouch in front like a sporran, the t-handle Sampson on my left hip, and the Lesche/Carrot on my right hip. There is often a water bottle hanging from that chrome ring between the pouch and Sampson.

This seems almost perfect but I am sure I will change something soon, that's just what I do.:laughing:

Attachments

• DetectingRigA.jpg
    DetectingRigA.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 389
Me too. The rig that I am currently using seems to be working out very well for me. It is comfortable enough that I do not find myself anxious to quickly remove it as soon as possible, which was often the case with tool belts. I can wear this rig all day and not even notice it unless the t-handle shovel is in place when walking at a fast pace, in which case I just carry the t-handle in my free hand. The t-handle is mostly there to assist me in getting back to my feet so is essential equipment for me even though I seldom use it for digging. Most of my digging chores are handled with the screwdriver pictured in the pouch below and a Gerber River Shorty knife which hangs from paracord around my neck. In use everything is close to the hand that will need it. Quick simple and intuitive. I find myself fumbling for nothing (other than that blasted dirt colored pull tab in the hole). No time or energy wasted digging for the right tool.

I wear this with the pouch in front like a sporran, the t-handle Sampson on my left hip, and the Lesche/Carrot on my right hip. There is often a water bottle hanging from that chrome ring between the pouch and Sampson.

This seems almost perfect but I am sure I will change something soon, that's just what I do.:laughing:

Nice Leather Klein bag. Mine's not leather but is the brown fabric with "Klein" in red.
I'm needing ideas as my rig has been temporary for 3 years now. :lol:

I think the self-made one-of-a-kind rig jobs are the best. For now I just stuff a water bottle in my back pocket but that just encourages butt-crack exposure. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom