ks coyote

Super Motivator
Thought it would be neat to see everyone's 30's, 40's, and 50's. radio premiums. These are two that I've found. The first is a Capt Midnight token and the second is a Ralston Straight Shooters ID bracelet. I've seen a few Little Orphan Annie pieces and saw a Junior G Man badge here recently . How about Dick Tracy. Lets see them. Very cool what you could get with cereal box tops.

Attachments

• cm.jpg
    cm.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,223
  • bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,215
Here's the radio orphan annie decoder I found from the movie "A Christmas Story"

IMG_20130524_171615.jpg

IMG_20130524_171555.jpg

IMG_20130524_171629.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread! Hh all!

POSTS J.D.C. badge. 1932-33. From Post cereal. Any rings out there?

Attachments

• ptb.jpg
    ptb.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,969
Cool badge! I have a Buffalo Bill Jr ring that was a cereal premium from the 50's. I will have to take a photo this weekend and post it.

A terrible photo, but I found this Capt. Midnight Secret Squadron decoder badge in my back yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,020
your thread idea is a great one. it made me think of other thread topic ideas like "post your dog tag licenses here" or "trade and tax tokens".... I wish I had more to contribute than just ideas too lol. congrats on all the nice finds.

Before the advent of that enormous waste of time known as Television, the country was entertained by theatrical radio broadcasts. Shows like The Shadow, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, The Bickerson's, etc. Some encouraged listeners to eat a specific cereal or purchase a product that was advertised on these shows. By saving box tops or coupons you could send them in to receive special prizes. Those could be anything from decoder rings, spinners, whistles, etc.

Along came TV and the practice was copied by advertisers for shows like Captain Midnight and many others that made the switch from radio to TV.

Known as "The Golden Age of Radio"

This thread is awesome. Really impressive finds and great photography work. The detail on these pieces, here in images and words, is a testament to ingenuity and creativity forefronts of our kind. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the explanation fellas! I do understand now.

I remember on the Christmas story him listening to the show and saving up for the decoder. Wasn't the message like, "kids eat your Lima beans". Or something silly like that? Haha

Thanks for the explanation fellas! I do understand now.

I remember on the Christmas story him listening to the show and saving up for the decoder. Wasn't the message like, "kids eat your Lima beans". Or something silly like that? Haha

DRINK MORE OVALTINE. They were a big sponsor of the programs.

Drink more Ovaltine is correct

And was he ticked when he found out the secret message was "a crummy commercial". :laughing: That movie plays all December long with several other Christmas classics EVERY year. Great thread. Glad I am not the only one who saves the odd finds that probably have little or no value except the connection to who we were "back then". Thanks for the memories. Keep em coming.

I would love to have found that orphan annie decoder ring! The house they used for the movie is here in Cleveland about 10 minutes from me. Took the wife and kids last year, pretty cool!

Junior G-Man Badge I found in the woods. I wish I could locate the Superman ring that I found when I first started detecting but I misplaced it.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 1,653
Vlad and I have found a couple. My favorite is this one... A Tom Mix Straight Shooter ring. Attached with it is the Ralston Cereal advertisement for one. We don't have the "Look Around" ring though.

On one side of the ring is a steer head, and on the other side a pistol. On the inside there seems to be what's left of a copyright stamp and 43 along with the word FILAMENT.

tommixring.jpg

Other items in our collection include a Hopalong Cassidy ring, Roy Rogers Ring, Charlie McCarthy Lapel Pin, and the top of a Orphan Annie decoder. :D

Back
Top Bottom