False targets??

WisCacher

Was out with the Eurotek Pro 11" yesterday and I was struggling a bit. The most common problem was what seemed to be false readings when sweeping an area. My method: Generally I just walk an area swinging at a moderate pace to find a target, with MD at a mid level of Disc. Many times I would get a hit with a good number, low 80's for example. As soon as I hear the tone I quickly stop and go over that area slowly, with a lot of overlap to find it again, except nothing is there. This happened dozens of times and I was getting frustrated. Any idea what causes this ? Am I doing something wrong. :?: thanks.

Was out with the Eurotek Pro 11" yesterday and I was struggling a bit. The most common problem was what seemed to be false readings when sweeping an area. My method: Generally I just walk an area swinging at a moderate pace to find a target, with MD at a mid level of Disc. Many times I would get a hit with a good number, low 80's for example. As soon as I hear the tone I quickly stop and go over that area slowly, with a lot of overlap to find it again, except nothing is there. This happened dozens of times and I was getting frustrated. Any idea what causes this ? Am I doing something wrong. :?: thanks.

Falsing...normal with many detectors.
Moving a little too fast over iron and other trash can cause this, a good amount OF EMI could too.
Going back and examining that signal with a slower moving coil is good, moving the coil a little slower in your initial sweeps will eliminate a lot of these types of false signals and also eliminate digging a lot of empty holes looking for non existing high tone targets...also a pretty normal thing most of us experience at beginning.
As you gain more experience you will learn to maneuver that coil efficiently and effectively and quickly to notice actual targets with less falsing, jumping and more stable numbers and tones and ignore most falsing of any kind.
This is all part of the normal learning process so you are doing fine.

Just remember...most good targets, especially ones that aren't super deep, will usually repeat every time constantly and from just about every angle if you get the center of your coil over them, (even that DD), and swing at the right speed.
EMI and trash in the vicinity that cause false signals or false signals caused by a fast moving coil will usually NOT repeat in exactly the same place every time.
It might seem close on several that might repeat, but in reality it will not be exact on every swing so keep that in mind.
Signals that are there on one swing but not there on others are not usually real, either.

Lots of weird things can and do happen out there, it is possible to get solid one way hits from coil movement from one direction and not others, or signals that sound off from one area and turn 90 degrees and nothing and could still be good, but these types of targets that cause this are usually rare, usually deep and something I wouldn't concern myself with at all if you are new and just learning.
Plenty of time to learn the advanced stuff as you progress.

I believe this is quite common when hunting in disc mode. Its like the detector gets fooled for a quick second. Simple way to verify is to switch to all metal mode and rescan and you'll quickly find it was a hunk of iron.

With my MD, when this happens its usually one of two things. I either have to re-ground balance or it is what I mentioned above. Hope that makes sense! Good luck!!

The ETP is a good machine to start with, listen to what it is saying to you. The more you use it the better you'll get. HH

Back
Top Bottom