Whats the benefit of multi tone detectors ?

ohiochris

Elite Member
I am talking about the models with more than 3 tones , I understand 3...low , mid , high....that's a no brainer. But what can other tones possibly tell you ? There are some models with 8 or 20 tones. I could see a benefit of choosing preferred tones among many to get the three you like best and only using them , but to have so many tones going at the same time don't make sense to me. What could you need besides coin range , gold/aluminum/nickel range , and ferrous range ???

My 2 cents worth.
A typical Vlf ( not Minelab FBS) machine never needs more than 4 tones.

Why???

Because none of them under most hunting conditions can ID targets accurate enough to utilize.

Sure folks can Set a block of tones up,with White's V3i for example--- but what happens many times a deep dime say will ring up lower due to depth/ ground minerals,, hence if one is hunting by tone only-- you'll walk right by finds.

Now the FBS like etrac-- operates on a sliding scale-- variability setting affects somewhat,, and this scale is worthy of reporting even deep targets in higher minerals with accuracy-- hence a person can swing and hunt by ear moreso.

Now CTX,, can be hunted on a sliding scale or it can be hunted with tone bins assigned--- this is handy because targets providing TID like/similar to nickels can be set to sound like higher conductors like copper or silver.

So using 8 or 20 tones on a typical Vlf machine is about a useful as t__ts on a boar hog.

I like the multi-tone feature because i can tell the difference between a zinc penny and a copper one, a clad coin vs a silver one and if u have a good ear you can hear when u have a nickel vs trash. The multi-tone feature allows me to hunt faster since I don't have to keep looking at the display for more information on every target. Where I detect determines how I detect. If I'm in a field I only need to know ferrous or non-ferrous. In a nicely kept yard or park or when i'm hunting clad i like all the info I can get. Clad hunting, I only want copper pennies, nickels and dimes, qtrs or half dollars. I leave zinc pennies, and most trash where it is at. I'm only after coins not jewelry. At nice yards or parks, I'm trying to avoid digging too many holes. I do dig iffier targets hunting old coins than I will clad hunting. Having a different tone for every VDI number is useful for me but it is a personal preference. I know people that think anything more than one tone is a waste and shows your lack of skill.:lol: To me detecting is a lot like fishing. You can buy a cane pole and fish from the bank or you can go whole hog and spend thousands on a boat and high dollar rods, reels and stuff. You will catch fish either way. It is a hobby do it the way you enjoy it the most.

Interesting,,,, you can tell clad from silver????
How about a chipped silver dime vs clad dime??
How about a worn silver dime vs a clad dime???

Well I must not be talented,,, I have been over the above with Minelab etrac, CTX, White's V3i, Makro Racer, Nokta CoRe, Fisher F75 se and DST, Blisstool V6, Minelab Xs explorer

I for the life of me could not distinguish the difference between the clad and the silver above. Not by the tone, not by the TID or VDI.

Some of these coins have been 4" deep all the way through 8" deep.

I got good hearing too-- good eyes too,,why they call me sharpshooter.

I admit if not for iron, ground minerals, and all silver coins being in nice/mint condition-- the odds of distinguishing would certainly go up;; especially using some of the minelabs like etrac and CTX

But unfortunately this is not the case...

Now all this doesn't mean I can't make an educated guess at times using some detectors.

And I do mentally sometimes-- but some days it works better than others for the reasons I talked about above.

ok I sorta get it now , even though I would gladly avoid so many tones just to keep my sanity :lol: But detectors with 10 , 15 , or 20 tones ??? That just don't make sense , is there a separate tone for coins from different decades and beer cans by brand or what ? :lol: ( just kidding )

With some coins being so close to each other in conductive value and with something as simple as changing ground conditions bringing them even closer to one another , I don't know if I could put that much faith in a tone telling me the difference , seems like it could be wrong much of the time.

Interesting,,,, you can tell clad from silver????
How about a chipped silver dime vs clad dime??
How about a worn silver dime vs a clad dime???

Well I must not be talented,,, I have been over the above with Minelab etrac, CTX, White's V3i, Makro Racer, Nokta CoRe, Fisher F75 se and DST, Blisstool V6, Minelab Xs explorer

I for the life of me could not distinguish the difference between the clad and the silver above. Not by the tone, not by the TID or VDI.

Some of these coins have been 4" deep all the way through 8" deep.

I got good hearing too-- good eyes too,,why they call me sharpshooter.

I admit if not for iron, ground minerals, and all silver coins being in nice/mint condition-- the odds of distinguishing would certainly go up;; especially using some of the minelabs like etrac and CTX

But unfortunately this is not the case...

Now all this doesn't mean I can't make an educated guess at times using some detectors.

And I do mentally sometimes-- but some days it works better than others for the reasons I talked about above.

I'm not sure what you mean by a chipped silver dime but in most cases i do pretty well telling silver from clad. Nobody I know is 100% correct but I'm right more than I'm wrong or I wouldn't do it. As far as worn coins, I've found that coins have to be worn pretty thin before it changes the VDI or tone much. With my Etrac which I prefer for hunting old coins, a silver coinhas a slightly higher tone than its clad counterpart. With shallow coins the VDI number is slightly higher but that is not the case when the targets get deeper. The tone seems to be a more reliable sign for deeper coins. One of my favorite kinds of clad hunting is to dig all the nickels others pass up. I'm having a bad day if I dig 10 nickel signals and get 2 trash targets. The White's MXT and my V3 have been my 2 best nickel machines. I can usually tell a tab or the eraser holder of a pencil from a nickel by the pinpoint signal. A nickel gives a stronger signal than either ofthe trash targets at an equal depth. There are of course other targets that ID similar to nickels but those are the most common here. I did not learn this overnight, i have spent-thousands of hours over a lot of years practicing and I'm still practicing and learning. If you have more questions or I didn't explain something clearly let me know but right now this old man needs to get some sleep.:lol:

I hunt in full tones..going on 7yrs straight without leaving them.....

Delta Pitch on the F70 assigns a different tone to each TID .so basically 99 tones...It is extremely fast to hunt full tone audio and not looking at the screen. A guy can tell a Q from a Half easy...nickel from a tab...no problem...

Its actually easier, faster, and more relaxing for your brain to process audio instead of processing a video signal...at least it is for me...plus, a guy is getting the multidemon stacks and tight masked spills that often skew to a junk, yet the tone tells you its profile, mass, and depth via 'proportional audio'....and hopping that coil...

On the very first ping, before you can finish the swing, your brain immediately knows, "Thats a Q at 3"...."Theres two dimes 4" apart and 2"deep" "zinc, zinc, penny"..."nickel" "crown cap" "screwoff", "Rat token" "tarp grommet" whatever..then when you hit a tone that is strange, something you dont hear that often, it stops you dead!

Even coins on edge...you can hear all of this in full tones...and you dont have to use a PP either! Or the PP button on your rig, The tone tells you right where its at, as you hop coil to sharpen up the location..3 or four little hops, and its right under the sweet spot!.

Its stimulating to hear all the sounds of what an area holds, and process that information into an understanding of the location somewhat..my eyes can wander the terrain, heads up hunting, looking for things approaching or any potential drop zone...

I'm at the point where I can tell a copper Penny from a clad dime, even though the tones are identical, the profile, mass, and signature of the dime is just a tiny bit tighter of a 'Ping'...of course, we are talking easily 50k plus targets running like this, probably more like 70k...I did a 10k coin year back in 012...again, I'm just going for shallow targets in the 5" to surface realm...stabbing with a driver, and going really really fast...silvers show up accidental just from the sheer volumn of targets a guy gets in an outing...Heres some pics that sort of tell the story. Dec 2014..most of the P's came along with stacks...When a guy gets into a heavy coin area, massive carpet, just stooping and stabbing..I need to get back in here, but its 250 miles away and I was rolling through on business...I did something similar to this hunt Dec 2015...350+ in 7hrs..$55...including two rosies and a silver ring..

Anyway, yeah, you can pull 45 coins/hr for 10hr straight...and the only thing that really gets worn out is that one big butt muscle!:laughing: You really dont need your eyes for this...except to drive over there of course!

Mud

Attachments

• field of dreams.jpg
    field of dreams.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 311
  • field of dreams-4.jpg
    field of dreams-4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 314
  • field of dreams-3.jpg
    field of dreams-3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 318
If I were mainly a clad hunter,, which generally equates to shallower coins,,more tones wouldn't bother me as much.

Mud,,you are one clad digging man!!!
Somehow, I can even visualize you a busting the fields..

I hunt in full tones..going on 7yrs straight without leaving them.....

Delta Pitch on the F70 assigns a different tone to each TID .so basically 99 tones...It is extremely fast to hunt full tone audio and not looking at the screen. A guy can tell a Q from a Half easy...nickel from a tab...no problem...

Its actually easier, faster, and more relaxing for your brain to process audio instead of processing a video signal...at least it is for me...plus, a guy is getting the multidemon stacks and tight masked spills that often skew to a junk, yet the tone tells you its profile, mass, and depth via 'proportional audio'....and hopping that coil...

On the very first ping, before you can finish the swing, your brain immediately knows, "Thats a Q at 3"...."Theres two dimes 4" apart and 2"deep" "zinc, zinc, penny"..."nickel" "crown cap" "screwoff", "Rat token" "tarp grommet" whatever..then when you hit a tone that is strange, something you dont hear that often, it stops you dead!

Even coins on edge...you can hear all of this in full tones...and you dont have to use a PP either! Or the PP button on your rig, The tone tells you right where its at, as you hop coil to sharpen up the location..3 or four little hops, and its right under the sweet spot!.

Its stimulating to hear all the sounds of what an area holds, and process that information into an understanding of the location somewhat..my eyes can wander the terrain, heads up hunting, looking for things approaching or any potential drop zone...

I'm at the point where I can tell a copper Penny from a clad dime, even though the tones are identical, the profile, mass, and signature of the dime is just a tiny bit tighter of a 'Ping'...of course, we are talking easily 50k plus targets running like this, probably more like 70k...I did a 10k coin year back in 012...again, I'm just going for shallow targets in the 5" to surface realm...stabbing with a driver, and going really really fast...silvers show up accidental just from the sheer volumn of targets a guy gets in an outing...Heres some pics that sort of tell the story. Dec 2014..most of the P's came along with stacks...When a guy gets into a heavy coin area, massive carpet, just stooping and stabbing..I need to get back in here, but its 250 miles away and I was rolling through on business...I did something similar to this hunt Dec 2015...350+ in 7hrs..$55...including two rosies and a silver ring..

Anyway, yeah, you can pull 45 coins/hr for 10hr straight...and the only thing that really gets worn out is that one big butt muscle!:laughing: You really dont need your eyes for this...except to drive over there of course!

Mud

You're the man Mudpuppy, I don't think I have it in me to marathon hunt like that.:lol: The closest I came to that was a hunt that got my photo in a catalog when I had my T2 and it wasn't even close to yours in number or quality. Been a few years and I can't hunt like that now.:D

If I were mainly a clad hunter,, which generally equates to shallower coins,,more tones wouldn't bother me as much.

Mud,,you are one clad digging man!!!
Somehow, I can even visualize you a busting the fields..

Yeah...I know its a different method/target than what you are doing...just wanted to back up Phil's experience a bit regarding Tones...Full Tones for me are super fast, easy, comfortable, and killer!....

My thought is this: Someday...If I ever trip into a virgin estate or something, just LOADED with silver even if its 8" down, I'll adjust accordingly, get all the Halves and Dollars in a gosh darn hurry...I intend to use these skills gained from clad to wipe it clean out in short order, and thats why I do this quick broom method, for fun and practice primarily...Someday...I will get 100+ silvers in about 2hrs I figure...that day is coming...I just have to get the right location...

Got into a park place once, heavy thatch sod and clay, just loaded with coins at @ 3"..dumped pouch and timed myself..1/2hr... 75+ coins just stooping and stabbing like a madman! So a guy can do 150+ in an hour if conditions are perfect...I'm sort of old and fat too...so I dont know what a spry young kid could do running top end...
Mud

Unless you're a "dig-it-all" hunter then multi-tone is a nice feature. The key to any hunter who doesn't dig it all is to get as much information from a target before you make the decision to recover or leave it. Multi-Tone is more information than 3-4 tones. Multi-tone can give you a much better picture of the target. On the multi-tone detectors I've used being able to hear false iron signals is easier. They give that very high pitch tone that silver doesn't. The well know "silver warble" comes from having multi-tones. Full-tone on the Deus works a lot the same way. More info without having to look at the display.

Actually,although I use the 8 tone function, I mainly encounter 5 distinct tones-foil, nickel, tabs, zincers,clad. As poster said, I seldom look at the screen-the only exception being the nickel tone. 16-20 ID is probably nickel, 22-28 statab. :cool:

:wow:
Unless you're a "dig-it-all" hunter then multi-tone is a nice feature. The key to any hunter who doesn't dig it all is to get as much information from a target before you make the decision to recover or leave it. Multi-Tone is more information than 3-4 tones. Multi-tone can give you a much better picture of the target. On the multi-tone detectors I've used being able to hear false iron signals is easier. They give that very high pitch tone that silver doesn't. The well know "silver warble" comes from having multi-tones. Full-tone on the Deus works a lot the same way. More info without having to look at the display.

Some good info,,,but most detectors,,, tone provided is tied to Vdi--- and with deeper targets,,this Vdi may be high or low depending on the detector,,,would be hard to just listen to the tone,,and know when you had a deep coin based solely on tone frequency--- now using modulation might indeed help here-- although I'm not fond of using modulation.

Sure for shallower targets-- having blocks of Vdi with tones assigned would help.

Now,, multi tone with etrac--- it works,, but it being able to have correct TID at both shallo and deeper depths is the reason it works so well.

Deus, multi tone works on it with shallower and deeper targets--- but on deeper targets,, remember Deus unusual,, as it usually throws vdi/TID to 90s range-- and this will provide high tone using 2, e, 4, or 5 tones as long as you have the 90 plus range assigned a high tone freq wise
Full tones--- basically the 90s plus are automatically assigned high/ highest tone,,so on deeper targets--- high/ highest tone is heard.

An example,, let's say wheat head comes in at 78 on White's V3i,, and we have a tone set for the following vids,,,73-80. So yes shallower wheats most of the time would show this 78 reading give or take and provide the tone assigned,,, but if you hit a 9" wheat, and let's say you don't flush it with the coil,,,what could it read??? Generally my experiences I say low,,so if the wheat read lower than 73-- you wouldn't get the tone you had assinged--- so not looking at the screen and only going by sound/ tone-- op would keep walking,,, and even if a person stooped to investigate the usual Vdi provided with associated tone,, and even if they flushed the 9" deep wheat, with multiple sweeps-- no guarantee the wheat would ever read higher than 73-- actually the deep,wheat may read at least 73 on some sweeps, and lower on others

So with a V3i detector-- and there are many others--- a deep coin hunter who is hunting by sound/ tone freq alone--is IMO missing some good deep coins.

And Minelab etrac and CTX users will most of the time-- not guaranteed ,, hear the high tone signal or high tone chirp--- and when sweeping looking at the meter-- will usually get a pretty good readout,, giving hint of high conductor.

I guarantee--- take 2 pros each a pro with their respective detector,, one a V3i and the other an Etrac,,, tape the screens up,, let both hunt by sound alone and compare signals,, and record what they think the target is, low , med or high conductor,,, go to an old park and spend the day,,, grade the targets each one finds and compares privately report to the third party (digger). With a third party actually digging the targets and recording.

At the end of the hunt--- I'll bet the farm the etrac user wins hands down.
Milder ground would help the V3i user to a degree,, but in F75 4 bars ground-- etrac would kick butt.

And btw-- the way Deus reports tone(s) it would lose too.

And I should add,, the above mention,, this is why a lot of silver coins and older deeper copper were still in the parks before minelabs made their debut.

Folks were being fooled,,using typical Vlf detector,, and remember in a park scenario., folks didn't want to dig unnecessary holes--- they could in fact get tone on a lot of these coins and Vdi-- but nowhere near accurate enough to have a very good idea what was beneath their coil,, coin wise I e high conductor coin..

Now some of the coins were out of range depth wise,, for some detectors.

Back
Top Bottom