How to keep the mice out?

boneykid

Is there anything that I can put in or around my car that is parked in my garage to keep mice out of it? The car will be driven very little if at all this winter. We found out very recently that the car is terribly scary on snowy roads. My garage is not mouse proof. Thanks for any responses in advance.

Is there anything that I can put in or around my car that is parked in my garage to keep mice out of it? The car will be driven very little if at all this winter. We found out very recently that the car is terribly scary on snowy roads. My garage is not mouse proof. Thanks for any responses in advance.

Only suggestion is to put out some traps, check them often, and be certain you have NO food in your vehicle. Also stick a stout piece of coarse steel wool in the tailpipe to prevent the little buggers from making a nest in yer muffler!

If you don't have cats I suggest D-con. It will kill the mice when they eat it. If you want a more "humane" way try the live traps. A regular mouse trap is good also. There are several traps available that you don't even have to touch the mice to toss them out of the trap. You can also try the sticky traps. No matter which trap you try load it with peanut butter. It sticks on better and makes it harder for the mice to remove from the trap and stay alive.

They make devices to detour mice and other rodents (including squirrels). I can't remember where I got mine, but it's a black box with a switch for different pest and rodents, you plug it into an electrical outlet and it makes these pulsating sounds. You wont be able to hear it for mice or bugs (a dog will though) but for squirrels you will hear it. I'll go out in my garage to try and find it and update with a brand name after I locate it.

Dryer sheets like bounce work great, I use them in my boat and rodents won't stay anywhere there is a large concentration of dryer sheets.

On my boat I put one or two in each compartment, scatter them all over the floor and jumble a few in with the life jackets then cover it up for the winter.

The best mouse and chipmonk trap I have ever used is a bucket with a stout wire across the top with a regular pop or beer can threaded on it so it spins freely.

Use a couple twist ties to keep the can in the center, then smear the can with a layer of peanut butter and pour 6 inches of non toxic anti freeze into the bucket.

Lastly lay a board on there so a mouse or chippy can't quite reach the can but close enough that they want to try.

We are in a constant war with vermin around here.

Dryer sheets like bounce work great, I use them in my boat and rodents won't stay anywhere there is a large concentration of dryer sheets.

On my boat I put one or two in each compartment, scatter them all over the floor and jumble a few in with the life jackets then cover it up for the winter.

The best mouse and chipmonk trap I have ever used is a bucket with a stout wire across the top with a regular pop or beer can threaded on it so it spins freely.

Use a couple twist ties to keep the can in the center, then smear the can with a layer of peanut butter and pour 6 inches of non toxic anti freeze into the bucket.

Lastly lay a board on there so a mouse or chippy can't quite reach the can but close enough that they want to try.

I forgot about the dryer sheet trick, that works too!

Anything that smells like food will attract them. Mice like food so make sure all food sources are gone. Most poisons have an attractant that has a food smell to get them to eat it. I would not suggest putting in a poison or any source of food unless the mice are already there and you need to eliminate them.

Sensory distractions will reduce them from wanting to stay there.

Ultrasonic Sounds (Electronic emitters)
Visual Distractions (Old farms used to put up fake owls)
Aromatic annoyances ( dryer sheets - new with heavy sents)

Ultrasonic repellers aren't quite as effective as the hype. Still think there some potential, after building quite a few. My problem was cats, had a neighbor with 23 regulars, and pretty much fed any animal that came around (eventual rat problem). Some of the cats found a new toilet, some got use to the sound, and mostly were cautious. Two of them weren't bother at all. It's just noise, that we can't hear, but there is always noise associated with the human population, whether we hear it or no.

Rats and mice won't nest, without a nearby source of food and water, need to try and remove access to any easy source. Would set traps, and keep an eye on them. Would stay away from poisons, a sick rodent finds a safe place to hide, which is hard to find and access. Smelling dead mouse in the house isn't good. I got two electronic rat traps, and they worked great, they never get a chance to take the bait. You pick up the whole trap and dump the corpse in the trash, reset and it ready for the next. Batteries last a good time, even with a lot of rats. Pretty sure there is a mouse version. Got them at Home Depot.

From work, they require 2 feet of bare ground around the entire warehouse, apparently rodents don't like to cross open ground.

I have the same problem I store my hot rod in a old garage
Moth balls work well but when it gets real cold not so well
put them under the car not in it !!
I haved used them to get rid of skunks under my front stoop
go figger stinky ball gets rid of stinky skunk
remember there also poisonous
also seal up your air filter intake or they will be in there too

I agree with the moth balls. We've had friends store their boats in our barn for several winters. They's put moth balls in empty tuna fish cans, and put 4 - 5 cans in the boats before they covered them and never had a problem. Put them in a container, as they can chemically react with different material and stain/fade carpets, seats, etc. If you couple this with mouse traps, you should be fine. Curt

When I used to store my GTO's and other collector Pontiacs I would put some mothballs in a jar atop the air cleaner, another jar in the trunk, and a third on the rear floor. Also remember to flip the sunvisors down and out, rodents love to climb, and will chew a hole in the headliner above the visor and move in for the winter...Never had a rodent problem using mothballs.

The spinning beer can trap. My father put one in his house upstate and removed 12 mice the last time he was there.Not that humane but it will do the job.Here is a link with an explanation and a pic.

http://pestcemetery.com/3-easy-home-made-mouse-traps/

They work incredibly well if you live in a wooded area like I do. For winter I keep one in the crawl space, one in the barn and one in the garage.

Never so much as a peep around here.

Back
Top Bottom